Can this tank go rimless? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla
Can this tank go rimless?

Some info:
This tank was custom built to be used as a sump.
The dividers for said sump have been removed and all of the silicon off the front and back have been cleaned off but the silicon down near the base of the tank is a bit messy(I will clean that up).
The tank's dimensions are 32"x16"x18" and holds approximately 35-36 gallons.
The glass is 1/4" thick.
The rim is not made of one solid piece of plastic- it's 4 different pieces with mitered corners.

So.....could I remove them and have a study tank? Or is it risky? Or flat out not recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Most people wouldn't de-rim anything over 10 gallons. The bowing would be too great. 36 gallons of water on your living room floor is not cool.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, my floor is finished concrete, so it wouldn't be too bad to have 36 gals of water on the floor. But I would be mad about being out of a tank haha.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
picture of the rim? its odd that you say its mitered and not one piece, it would seem to me then if it is not one piece it is doing little to hold the tank together, more of decoration. That being said like it is mentioned bowing is a possibility, it wouldnt have been an issue with the interior dividers in place as they would have held the middle together, so maybe do a test fill and see if there is bowing now that they are not in place?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
mitered corners means your rims are only aesthetic, not structural, so they can be removed. the removed dividers, however, might have been figured into the tank's strength by the builder. i'd search for an online tank calculator and make sure you didn't already make the tank unusable.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium is an easy to use glass thickness calculator. I tried it for this and it says that 1/4 inch glass is adequate for a tank, giving you a safety factor of between 2.5 and 3. I say you can remove the rim with no worries.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The sump dividers where put in by the buyer(and removed), not the constructor, so I don't think that the constructor put that into his plans.

The corners are siliconed together and to the glass rim- they aren't just plonked on there.

The tank and stand only cost me $40......I think I'll try it. I can fill it outside and leave it for a few days too, just to be sure. Even if I don't mind cleaning up the floor, I doubt hubby will appreciate it haha.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode