• 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By MassiveDynamic17
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 1 Post By MassiveDynamic17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Undergravel Filter Substrate (activated carbon? clay?)

I need to redo my tank's substrate because the tank's pH is too high. The undergravel filter has a powerhead. I was thinking of using a bottom layer of activated carbon topped with porous clay pebbles. Has anyone ever tried something similar? Or know of probable complications? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @MassiveDynamic17,

I use calcined montmorillonite clay substrates with an undergravel filter in two of my tanks with success. I don't use it as a layer, the entire substrate is calcined montmorillonite clay. I used to use Soilmaster Select however it has been discontinued, now I use Safe-t-sorb (40# for $6.49 at Tractor Supply Co). As with most high cation exchange capacity (CEC) substrates it will 'strip' the carbonates from the water resulting in a drop of pH, sometimes a very substantial drop. With my very soft water it drops my pH from 7.0 (degassed) to below 6.0 and result in my having to add sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to bring the pH back up.

How long does the carbonate stripping / pH lowering effect last? It depends upon the water and how much carbonates are in it and how often water changes are done. In my case, with weekly water changes and adding substantial amounts of bicarbonate of soda once or twice a week the effect still lasted for about 4 months.

75 gallon with Safe-t-sorb substrate (do some research here on TPT about Safe-t-sorb (aka STS) cleaning before use)

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow, thanks for the info, Seattle_Aquarist! i was looking for a stone that would help reduce pH.

i hope i can find that stuff somewhere near me. on ebay, it seems massively overpriced compared to the figure you gave lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @MassiveDynamic17,

Looks like the closest Tractor Supply Company is in Hesperia.
MassiveDynamic17 likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

removed sections of existing substrate and replaced with montmorillonite clay gravel. in the middle of the day, when the CO2 has been running for a while, pH is 7.5. Thanks again, Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi @MassiveDynamic17,

Just out of curiosity, what was the pH prior to using the (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay as part of your substrate?
MassiveDynamic17 likes this.

Roy_________

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

8.9 haha. a bit disconcerting, but explains why my tank was so "survival of the fittest only" lol
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
activated carbon, clay, substrate, undergravel filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode