DIY Kiddie Pool Pond 'Stand' + Cabinet - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Kiddie Pool Pond 'Stand' + Cabinet

Calling all DIY standbuilders, pond experts, and handymen! I am in need of some guidance regarding building things, modifying things and etc. Read: I have literally no idea what I'm doing but I have an idea and I want to make it happen!

In my garage I have a ~100G 48" x 48" kiddie pool supported by two canister filters. (To be exact, they are Penn Plax Cascade Canister Aquarium Filters, size '1,000' rated at 265GPH each.) Said 'pond', as I call it, is... well, it's on the ground. This wouldn't be an issue if I had a magical Python or some sort of water pump but I do not. As the only compatible faucet for the Python is outside of the house (and is currently buried under about 3' of snow) a Python is not something that will be within my ability to use.

My goal: Raise the pond about 6" off the ground and add a flow-adjustable drain (if that makes sense) to the already installed plastic drain part. Not only will this ease the strain on my back for water changes (and encourage me to do them more frequently), it will also make the area look nicer overall. Along with this I would like to build a cabinet approx. 24" in height to hide the canister filters and other wires, like heating and lighting (which I still have to buy, suggestions welcome... thank the lord for a heated garage).

EDIT: Basic outline is scaled at 2" per side of the square however the drain/heater/spraybar aren't to scale.

I've included a basic outline of what I'd like to do. My issue is that I have no idea where to start! What would be the best way to go about buying materials to construct this stand? What materials would be best? How much support is required under the pond itself? I've planned for an extra 2" around the edges of the pond... any changes you'd recommend? How would you arrange all of the mechanics - filter intakes/outtakes, heater position, lighting, drain? Also, approximate cost?

Thank you in advance!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	878201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2892.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	878203  

Aquariums~
5.5G QT | 10G Planted Shrimp | 10G Nonplanted Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
15G Rimless Mess of an Aquarium | 20G Long Divided Betta | 20G Long Guppy Growout
100G Kiddie Pool Goldfish Pond

Betta | Rainbowfish | Goldfish | Guppies | Corydoras | Shrimp
(Also mass populations of Pond Snails and Planaria...)

Last edited by xUma; 02-27-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is this a hard side kiddie pool, inflatable or something else?

Is the existing drain port similar to the one used on an inflatable beach ball?

Pics of the pool and drain port would be helpful.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The kiddie pool is an Intex brand flexibile plastic-sided with a PVS pipe frame, as seen here. 48" x 48" x 12", and yes the drain is similar to that of an inflatable beach ball. I'd attach my own pics but it is very messy and unorganized out there!

Aquariums~
15G Rimless Mess of an Aquarium | 20G Long Divided Betta | 20G Long Guppy Growout

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, I figured it was the type/brand/model after some quick searches online.

I don't know if you would be able to do any modifications to the drain since it is an integral part of the pool. Your best bet would be to use a submersible pond pump or similar to be able to drain the pool for water changes.

As far as building a stand, I would think that building a box out of 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 lumber would give you the height you want. You would also need to add a few additional 2x material to the interior of the box to distribute the weight better. Top off the box with 1/2" exterior grade plywood.

You may want to consider using pressure treated lumber for the framing of the box since it will be in contact with the cement floor of the garage and in case of water spills from the pool.

The only issue with the box design is you won't be able to access the drain port on the pool unless you figure out a way to cut in an access way that doesn't affect the integrity of the build.

I've never built anything like this but it seems relatively straight forward for what you want to do.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wonder... would it work if I placed the drain side closest to the cabinet and attached flexible PVC tubing to the drain, running it *into* the cabinet and out along the wall? Versus making it inaccessible? Thank you for your input!

Also: Paint. Most of the cabinets and trim in the garage is white, as is the frame of the pool; is it worth painting and watersealing and if so, what brand of paint do you recommend?

Aquariums~

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know because I can't find any info on what the drain looks like on this pool.

Another option if you don't want to make a wooden base is to use cement blocks to make a perimeter base with more blocks to make a center strip in the middle and then top with plywood. This may be cheaper or more expensive than just making a wooden frame.

Whichever design you choose to use, be sure to make the base is a few inches larger than the PVC support posts so it can't 'slip' off the plywood deck.

Instead of painting the plywood deck, you can buy some vinyl flooring remnant, a couple layers of polyethylene plastic sheeting or similar material to protect both the plywood AND the bottom of the pool.

If you just decide to paint the wood components, a good exterior grade latex paint in multiple coats should work just fine. I don't use exterior paint so can't advise on a particular brand.
xUma likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270

Last edited by deeda; 02-28-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: add info
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Iíll see about getting a picture for you tonight but I must warn you, it is not the cleanest looking thing on earth by any means!

Vinyl flooring sounds like a good idea, maybe if I could find solid white or something. Iím also not a huge fan of covering the entire cabinet out of the vinyl stuff but Iíll go to Menards or something and get a good feel for the stuff.

Aquariums~

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know if a pic of the drain port would be helpful honestly. I did read some questions asked about your particular pool's drain and it was estimated at around one inch but that isn't really helpful figuring out what size hose would actually fit it if at all.

The other answers I read was that the drain port sits on the bottom of the pool and it can be difficult to drain the pool without lifting it up a bit in the bottom.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, it is at the bottom of the pool- would drilling a hole below the drain affect the integrity of the stand? Or is it just not worth it?

What if I removed the drain completely? It would lead to risk of leaking, I suppose... hmm.

Aquariums~

Last edited by xUma; 03-01-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: accidentally posted the same thing twice
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think drilling a hole below the drain would affect the integrity of the 'stand' as long as you don't remove the entire chunk of wood along the perimeter.

I would not remove the existing drain due to the potential of leaks.

Let's just recap what you are trying to achieve and possible solutions.

1. Elevate the pond on a stand at least 6 inches off the ground. Solution is to make a wood platform or use cement blocks with a plywood platform.

2. Water change draining. Solution is to use a submersible aquarium pump to drain the water from the pond (easiest method) OR fabricate a DIY solution by tapping into the output line of 1 of your canister filters with a PVC tee and a ball valve.

3. Water replacement. Can you get fresh water from inside the house nearby via a faucet that will accept a Python hookup or similar product?
xUma likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I donít have any compatible faucets, thus me raising the pond to relieve strain on my back while lugging buckets of water around while we turn into ice cubes during the winter. Iíd like to avoid altering the interior of the garage itself as this is (hopefully) not a long-term (no more than two or three years into the future) place that I will be staying. The easy-drain will also make water changes easier on busy school days. I donít think Iíd be allowed to change any faucets either, unfortunately.

Aquariums~

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do you have a bathroom with a shower head that is relatively close to garage with the pond? If so, there may be an easy solution to refilling the pond.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nope lol. Only showers are all the way upstairs in our two story house. Unless I plan on drilling though the roof, I honestly have nothing to work with.

Would it ruin the canister filter(s) if I, similar to the ball valve output idea, connected a ball valve to the filter intake line and ran tubing into a bucket in the kitchen? Our kitchen sink is a little bit far but higher up than the pond. Iíd have to catch the goldfish while doing a water change but it would save some work. If not, Iíll resign myself to lugging buckets!

Thinking about it, Iíd probably have to figure out a way to fill the flexible pvc stuff with water so I donít burn out the filters- maybe holding the hose to the actual faucet before sticking it in the bucket?

Aquariums~

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

No you do not want to use the filter intake line/hose to drain the pond OR add new water to the pond.

I just assumed you are draining the pond out through the garage door so if I'm wrong how are you doing it?

Do you have a basement with a laundry room or washing machine AND is it anywhere near the garage?
xUma likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I just saw this. Likely too late now.... but KISS
I'd leave it right on the floor and use a submersible pump for water changes!
Mine is in the unheated basement so I put down styrofoam as a thermal break and the kiddie pool sits right on the floor. I made a DIY 4 stage bucket trickle filter.

deeda and xUma like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode