DIY Kiddie Pool Pond 'Stand' + Cabinet - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I must have read something you wrote wrong...

“2. Water change draining. Solution is to use a submersible aquarium pump to drain the water from the pond (easiest method) OR fabricate a DIY solution by tapping into the output line of 1 of your canister filters with a PVC tee and a ball valve.”

I read this as “cut the outtake line in half and use the canister filter as a pump to remove the water....” using a pvc tee and a ball valve.

Straight out the garage door is currently not an option because of how cold it is. Today it was -16*F and snowing all day. If I were to drain it out the garage door it would make the driveway and surrounding portions of roads slippery; I don’t want to be responsible for any accidents. I normally put it out the side door and into the grass to avoid erosion around the house.

The laundry room is directly to the right once you enter the house from the garage door— it is a fair distance from the actual pond which is in the farthest corner of the garage but closer than the sink.

@AbbeysDad interesting!

I’m looking to raise the pond and build a cabinet not only for ease of maintenance but also for aesthetic. It’s the only ‘aquarium’ that will still be up and running by the time I go onto college. Figured the least I could do was make it look nice.. I’ll be going to a local college so I can come home and water change but I don’t want it to take three hours like it does currently.

How do you like those lights? They were the ones I had read were the best bang for my buck but I am wary of open electronics over water... had an experience with a lamp and a fish tank... not good lol.

Aquariums~
5.5G QT | 10G Planted Shrimp | 10G Nonplanted Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
15G Rimless Mess of an Aquarium | 20G Long Divided Betta | 20G Long Guppy Growout
100G Kiddie Pool Goldfish Pond

Betta | Rainbowfish | Goldfish | Guppies | Corydoras | Shrimp
(Also mass populations of Pond Snails and Planaria...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would assume this to be temporary like less than five years use, so I go for simple. Concrete 8X8X16 blocks, stood on end will be plenty strong for this amount of weight and pretty simple and cheap if you then lay a 1/2 or 3/4 inch sheet of plywood over the top. Spacing is not going to be really critical and totally level and smooth are not a factor so I would place the blocks in a general square pattern, in a couple inches from the outside corners and add one more set of blocks to make the unsupported sections something like less than two feet, at any spot. Whether to paint or not is a personal choice and really won't matter too much as far as lasting. Due to moisture, as well as cheaper, I would go for an exterior plywood as the glue holds and doesn't let the plywood delaminate. Something like used for roof decking, is my choice.
Once off the floor, the drain can be as simple as a pan or bucket to catch the flow from the drain and feed it into a hose to the outside. If splashing from the drain to the pan is a potential problem, look for something easy to work like a plastic trash can that can have a drain fitting added at the bottom. That would also give you a good place to put a cutoff valve inline to control the flow.

Addon GFCI can solve the electrical questions very easy and pretty cheap.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/15-Amp-G...0106/303094243

Last edited by PlantedRich; 03-02-2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I hope to have this in use for more than five years, however it won’t be in this specific household for more than five I’ll see how the price compares to the full wood and etc... I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit a trash can under the pond but I’ll look for something smaller! Maybe one of those small water tanks for cattle that have a drain on the bottom? I can always raise it more, too, but 6-8” is the minimum.

Aquariums~
15G Rimless Mess of an Aquarium | 20G Long Divided Betta | 20G Long Guppy Growout

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, I tend to think of five years as a long time on a tank setup!
For the drain, one can use most anything to form the catch basin but I like things like plastic that are easy to cut and fit. If it is low, perhaps a dishpan would be good as we can cut or drill it pretty easy to add a drain. Rereading, I see I missed the problems of draining outside but if the idea of a drain works out, there are fittings at most hardwares that will let us do a valve or fitting through the plastic wall of a pan. Basic idea is to find a threaded fitting to go through the wall, then add a rubber gasket both inside and outside and nuts on each side to hold it solid and squeeze the rubber tight to stop leaks. Once we have the fitting in place we can add a tube to run to where we might drain it. Another way to get a drain in plastic is to use a boiler drain like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-...8629/205807777
By adding a washer and rubber we can turn a nut on the inside tight enough to form the seal and this will give a way to control flow.
Just throwing in some ideas that may work or not fit at all!!! Good luck on the build.
xUma likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xUma View Post
Would it ruin the canister filter(s) if I, similar to the ball valve output idea, connected a ball valve to the filter intake line and ran tubing into a bucket in the kitchen?
In this post you mentioned the filter Intake line, I was suggesting hooking up to the filter Output line/hose to drain the pond.
xUma likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks @PlantedRich!

@deeda I was just asking if i could also attach something to the intake to add water AND the outtake to remove water! Apparently not though

Aquariums~

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

I got it, sorry I thought you had misunderstood my post.

I don't know of anyone who has added new water via the intake of their canister filter. The pump section of canister filters aren't really meant to push water long distances.

I thought you were dead set on using the kiddie pool for the goldfish pond but if you aren't, a Rubbermaid stock tank is a great option and some models come with the drain tap on the bottom. Elevate it on cement blocks to get the height you want.

Does your laundry room have a sink with a faucet that has a removable aerator on it AND is within 50 feet of your garage pond? If so, you can buy an adapter and just use a garden hose to fill the pond.

To drain the pond, especially in snowy conditions, a submersible pump in the pond connected to that same garden hose will allow you to drain to the laundry or kitchen sink.
xUma likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

I would elevate the pool by elevating a sheet of plywood with a few brace boards under it, either with 4x4's or cinderblocks, and resting the pool on the plywood. You can cut a small hole in the plywood for the drain with no worry of weakening it.
Then you just need a way to start or stop the water flow through the drain hose without having to bend down too far. I guess some sort of valve or union would work.

Now the fun part, how to make the pool easy to refill. Here's my suggestion--> if you have the room, set up a BIG Rubbermaid type trashcan or bin next to the pool, and elevate IT above the pool as much as is practical. Set up a drain valve in it with a bulkhead fitting, or just get a submersible pump and a hose for the job. just turn a valve and you can fill the pool with ease.

Why? If you did this, you could fill up the big barrel whenever it is convenient for you, with a garden hose or something. Then you could let it warm up in your heated garage, and you could dechlorinate it, and you could let it breathe and aerate before you needed to change water.

Making large water changes is risky, so if you did this, you could eliminate most of that risk while having your setup always ready to make a big water change whenever you needed to, either for a routine change or for an emergency.
xUma likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode