2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffkrol
  • 1 Post By evil8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fire Extinguisher CO2 Cylinder Problem

I just got an old fire extinguisher to use for CO2 in a new tank. I purchased the CO2Art PRO-SE Series regulator and the threads don't match. The piece with the threads on the cylinder is smaller in diameter than the nut on the regulator. What can I do to fix this without purchasing new equipment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421 (Edited).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	877967  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There are fire extinguisher fill adapters available. Perhaps that is what you need.

I would recommend that you get a real CO2 tank though.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, you need to swap out the tank valve NOT recommended..

NOT an area you really want to mess in..did I say NOT??

My local "firepro" sells old ext. w/ the valve swap..not that that means anything.
suppose mostly for beer use.

There is a reason they don't match..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
I would recommend that you get a real CO2 tank though.
Another $100 + I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
There is a reason they don't match..
I watched several videos of people using a fire extinguisher for a tank and all they had to do was zip tie the handle. I'm so pissed off right now (this was the second of several issues in a row this morning that's going to cost me money I don't have) I'm done.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-23-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
I watched several videos of people using a fire extinguisher for a tank and all they had to do was zip tie the handle. I'm so pissed off right now (this was the second of several issues in a row this morning that's going to cost me money I don't have) I'm done.

I hear ya. Worst part is that "insert" looks to be the tanks "burst disc" safety pressure relief..(just guessing though from the holes)
https://cpftecnogeca.com/en/product/...mbole-co2.html

I assume the ones you saw had other safety means..

though not free or exactly cheap best prices I know of short of Craigslist ect. (NOTE that they need to be certified every 5yrs so used could be good.. or NOT)

$43 inc shipping) for 7#
NOTE the odd size requires your gas supplier not to be a "swapper"..
standard steel 5# re-certed is $55...plus or minus
note pressure relief at 3 o'clock..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear about your troubles, the zip tie method is not good for the regulator, because the fire extinguisher has a dip tube on the inside so it feeds co2 liquid through the diptube into your regulator. You will have to remove the triger valve on the extinguisher and fit a turn valve with the diptube removed

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

As you can see this happened to me, so i learned my lesson.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-23-2019 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappies View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles, the zip tie method is not good for the regulator, because the fire extinguisher has a dip tube on the inside so it feeds co2 liquid through the diptube into your regulator. You will have to remove the triger valve on the extinguisher and fit a turn valve with the diptube removed

Or tip it upside down...

Oddly enough the dip tube doesn't seem to be much of an issue though CERTAINLY not recommended.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...o2.266/page-21

Thanks though, forgot about the tube..

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

This is the valve you need to fit.

Yeah upside-down is also a option... My 5kg tank used to last 3months with the diptube in, after my regulator froze up i let the fire company remove the diptube, my 5kg laste me a whole year before i needed it to be refilled.

Just a quick question are you sure thats a co2 fire extinguisher you have there? Sorry to ask just want to make sure. ;-)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clappies View Post
As you can see this happened to me, so i learned my lesson.

looks like my back yard..
Have no idea why the UK "reports" are somewhat contradictory..
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...o2.266/page-21

not an argument.. just curious..suppose it depends on delivery level..
Anyways doing it RIGHT is always the recommendation..
Clappies likes this.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-22-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. It looks like there is some useful information to sort out here. I was sort of hoping I could just replace that piece with the threads.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There's also the option of leasing a tank from the welding supply places that fill them. I'm sure there's some kind of deposit, but it might be a way to get a proper set up without the big up front cost.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Gotta think that it would be easier/better to just sell or swap it for a regular tank instead of buying new valves, et. al.

Not sure why but CO2 fire extinguishers seem to go for decent money and more than tanks around here. At least that's what I saw when I was looking.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
There's also the option of leasing a tank from the welding supply places that fill them. I'm sure there's some kind of deposit, but it might be a way to get a proper set up without the big up front cost.
I'm looking into that this morning. The first place I called will sell me a tank and air, but doesn't do swaps. I'm waiting on a return call from the second place and then there is one other after.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
Gotta think that it would be easier/better to just sell or swap it for a regular tank instead of buying new valves, et. al.

Not sure why but CO2 fire extinguishers seem to go for decent money and more than tanks around here. At least that's what I saw when I was looking.
If I can find a place to swap with a lowish upfront cost I'll do that. The extinguisher I got was free filled which is why I'm disappointed it didn't work.

I've got quotes from all the local places -

Two places will sell me a 20# tank for just around $110.00. One will give me the first fill free.

The third place will sell me the tank for $200(with a free fill) or will lease me one for $70/yr.

All three places charge $20 for gas plus a $4 hazmat fee.

I will most likely get the cheaper tank with the free fill and then over the summer refit the fire extinguisher and have that filled so I have a tank waiting. (who am I kidding - it will probably go on another tank at some point. lol!)
AguaScape likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-26-2019 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode