New to diy and forum - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to diy and forum

Hey I tried using the search feature to find answers but kept bring me to unrelated things so I started a topic, I'm thinking about building a (L譎譝) 48󭅅2 by inch thick tank and I'm wondering if I can go trimless with these dimensions? All help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Deck

Not sure if you are planning on doing an acrylic or glass build. According to the calculators I have seen, you should be safe with either. I would recommend a center brace to really beef it up. No such thing as overbuilt when you are talking about living things.

Here are a few calculators:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/design...uarium-2924666

Acrylic Thickness Calculator

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Hope these help.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah sorry forgot to include that i was going to use Starphire glass also I read conflicting opinions on wether to use tempered or not

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
Yeah sorry forgot to include that i was going to use Starphire glass also I read conflicting opinions on wether to use tempered or not
I would stay away from tempered glass. It is very brittle and you will be unable to cut, drill, polish, or change it in any way. What you get is what you get. Having custom panels made for your build would be extremely expensive as well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah that's what I read and other said it was way stronger I also found a 20 gallon long on Kijiji for $100 dollars with a nice light and everything else have you ever beveled/ polished your own edges?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
Yeah that's what I read and other said it was way stronger I also found a 20 gallon long on Kijiji for $100 dollars with a nice light and everything else have you ever beveled/ polished your own edges?
Beveling and polishing can only be done before the tempering process. Float glass can be beveled and polished as long as you use the right equipment and lots of water. My brother is a granite kitchen contractor so I get to play with his tools sometimes. The diamond pads used in that industry work perfectly on glass. Beveling is very difficult though. Maintaining the exact angle and cutting depth is really hard without complex jigs. Sanding to soften sharp edges and polishing is easier to do. Not easy, but easier.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode