Help Please. Creating a fluidised substrate. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Please. Creating a fluidised substrate.

Hi all, after a long time in this hobby I have decided to try something new.

Months ago i was watching the aquarium co-op channel on YouTube and a particular episode got e thinking.
I believe it was the video where he is at japan or chinas fish stores. In one of the tanks he viewed, the substrate sand was moving as if it were a liquid. The sand remained at the bottom of the tank (not being blown the tank) just flowing in itself.

On the video he mentioned that they probably put the spray bar from the filter under the sand to get this effect.

I have been searching and have found no similar tanks online. Ive seen multiple liquid sand videos where they use an air pump however this is done out of an aquarium in a sand pit(i even saw one set up as a hot tub lol)

Im thinking of having a large cube tank with a large island in the centre then surrounding the island with blue sand to replicate an ocean or sea. Then using a spray bar (or something i may have to build) under the substrate to create the effect of moving water.

I hope to have plants on the island but not in the surrounding blue sand as it would be moving.

Can anybody tell me if; this wont work/i have forgotten something/U have an idea to improve it.

or even say if u think its a waste of time lol

would this also add filtration as it would be like a fluidised bed filter? just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a friend that performed this on two different aquariums.
The end result was leaking tanks, sandblasting action over time degraded the glass and seams.
Basically instead of sandblasting with air as a vehicle you are using water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ah thanks i never thought of that! maybe if i cover the base of the tank before adding the sand this can be prevented.

Its good to know someone else has had a go at it.

Any suggestions of what fish ect would be suitable for a tank like this? i assume there will be little surface agitation which may cause low levels of oxygen so maybe a betta/gourami or something

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
@Method is a member here that told me of the sandblasting effects.
Maybe he would chime in on this, although he's not been active lately.

Sorry I'm not much help with phish, only plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
@Method is a member here that told me of the sandblasting effects.
Maybe he would chime in on this, although he's not been active lately.

Sorry I'm not much help with phish, only plants.
I still get notification emails

I originally wanted to try using the whole substrate as a filter with a reverse-flow undergravel system made of PVC. It was basically a series of spray bars under the sub. It works well (so far) with substrates that are less hard than glass; stuff like fluorite sand (clay) or aquasoil (dirt). The tanks stay pretty algae-free and the water stays really clear. This idea does NOT work with sand or blasting grit, both of which are as hard or harder than glass. Took me two tanks with busted bottoms before the cluebird landed.

As far as fish, I'm not really sure any freshwater fish are adapted for flowing substrate. I imagine that some marine species are, especially those that live in the intertidal zone. Most rivers deposit sediment in banks and leave it there. However like Maryland Guppy I'm not really sure.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum

The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow thanks for the info! looks like im gonna have to do some more research on this one. Thanks for your help guys!

Just a note on the fish. I recently saw a documentary on the amazon river where a small section of it was crystal clear
while being surrounded by the normal mucky colouration of the river. This small section of the river was being fed by a spring directly below it, causing fluidised sand and crystal clear waters. fish were using it as a nursery to raise their fry. I believe they were cichlids.

Thought it was very interesting and the effect on the sand is memorising.

No bottom feeders for this tank tho lol

Tags
diy, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode