2Likes
  • 2 Post By Betta Maniac
  • 2 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
how hard is it to make a tank rimless?

i got a used 20 gallon high and i have been thinking lately about taking the rim off.

how difficult is this? how likely is it that the tank will just flop when it is filled with water? what can i do to make sure the tank stays together if i take the rim off the top?

and, along the same lines, how would i make a cover for it? i can get plexiglass at the hardware store here so i was thinking i could use that for a cover.

i was thinking i would attach the light to the stand.

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
You can find directions HERE.

It seems easy, but I hear a lot of people crack the tank, so be careful. With a 20G, you shouldn’t have to worry about it coming apart.

I made a lid for mine by having pieces cut at a local plastic shop. Most can cut, drill, router, etc to your specifications (or you can do it yourself, if you have the tools).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
just be careful to use a long enough box knife. i think thats what i did wrong. i had a few chips around the edges, where i didnt cut the silicone enough. so when i pulled the rim up, it took a few chips of glass with it.

but, it still looks good for my first attempt. just make sure you get as long of a box knife as you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks guys!

i am getting more and more excited about this! i am planning to do an iwagumi style and i really can't wait to get it all set up. yay!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I wouldn't. Glass on the tanks is relatively thin. You could get 1/4" glass from a local glass cutter, cut to the dimensions. My local cutter said he could make 5 15X15" 1/4" thick plate to me for 25$...

20G high's glass is a little less than that...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think the rim on a 20-long really gives it much support, honestly. There's no center brace. I've seen a number of them "de-rimmed", but it never looks as clean as a true rimless.

If you want to make quick work of removing that plastic rim, use a razor knife heated up, very hot, using either a torch or any kind of reasonably large flame. Just keep in mind that the knife doesn't know, nor care, about the difference between plastic and finger-flesh....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
I wouldn't. Glass on the tanks is relatively thin. You could get 1/4" glass from a local glass cutter, cut to the dimensions. My local cutter said he could make 5 15X15" 1/4" thick plate to me for 25$...

20G high's glass is a little less than that...
i would love to do something like that but we don't have any glass cutters around here. i live in a SMALL town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishsc View Post
I don't think the rim on a 20-long really gives it much support, honestly. There's no center brace. I've seen a number of them "de-rimmed", but it never looks as clean as a true rimless.

If you want to make quick work of removing that plastic rim, use a razor knife heated up, very hot, using either a torch or any kind of reasonably large flame. Just keep in mind that the knife doesn't know, nor care, about the difference between plastic and finger-flesh....
thanks. i will give it a try and hope i don't botch it up too bad. i will try really hard to leave all my fingers intact as well!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I found it worked a lot easier if I used a tiny plane to remove the top outside corner of the rim, almost down to glass. And, I used a small hacksaw blade to gently cut the rim almost to the glass at the corners. Even with that it isn't an easy to do job, but with patience you could do it. I chipped some bits of glass off the corners too, by not cutting quite through the silicone. (I'm not always patient.)

Hoppy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thank you for the tips

i am definitely not a patient person but i will REALLY try hard to be for this!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
thank you for the tips

i am definitely not a patient person but i will REALLY try hard to be for this!

Good luck! post some pictures!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks!

i will post pictures. i am planning to keep a sort of journal of the whole process. i am not sure if i will post it here though because i am no where near as good as the rest of you guys on here! maybe i will start a journal...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
thanks!

i will post pictures. i am planning to keep a sort of journal of the whole process. i am not sure if i will post it here though because i am no where near as good as the rest of you guys on here! maybe i will start a journal...
Don't underestimate the value of seeing what others are doing as an education for all of us. We are all good at some things and total beginners at other things. I would always rather learn from other's mistakes than have to make them for myself, too.
mindy and mindy like this.

Hoppy
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks i will most likely do it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Like hoppy said earlier patince is your best friend if you happen to go along with it. l've tried de-rimming 10gs from walmart and rushed and chipped the corners. 2nd time l got it right but boy was l surprised at how careful you have to be in order to succeed.

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks! i will have to take many breaks and do lots of deep breaths and hopefully i will have the patience needed. haha!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode