DIY CO2 formula - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
DIY CO2 formula

I currently have 3 DIY co2 bottles and I'm planning on adding a 4th, a gallon sized apple cider bottle. I was thinking on the mixture and I came up with this: (assuming that yeast only dies off when there's no more sugar or too much alcohol:
1/2 tbs yeast
1 tbs bakin soda
3 cups of sugar
85% filled with water.

It's basically my 2 liter mixture except with twice as much sugar.

The reason for this is because despite having twice as much space/water for alcohol, twice as much yeast would only make the yeast die just as fast as the 2L bottles.
So if you have the same amount of yeast with twice as much sugar and water, I figured that the yeast could go on twice as long.

Does this work? Suggestions?

PS. Does the apple cider bottle work for a ceramic diffuser? Or will it burst?
Cuz if it does, then I'll just swap the 2 liter bottle thats connected to the powerhead in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump anyone?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 12:53 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
1/2 a tablespoon of yeast seems a bit excessive, especially for the 2L bottles you already have set up.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm guessing about 9-10 days heavy production from that 2L recipe.

Scaling it up to 1G but leaving the yeast the same should give you about 20 days, at the same production, as you expect. More or less.

I haven't used a ceramic diffuser with DIY, the potential for partial (or total) clogging worries me. Putting it on a non-pressure rated bottle sounds downright scary. Just my opinion, maybe someone's actually tried it and can speak from experience.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Jump start it but adding a pinch of dry ferts. I add a little miracle grow to my solutions and it leads to almost instantaneous injection.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
1/2 a tablespoon of yeast seems a bit excessive, especially for the 2L bottles you already have set up.
So I should down it to around 1/4 teaspoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
I'm guessing about 9-10 days heavy production from that 2L recipe.

Scaling it up to 1G but leaving the yeast the same should give you about 20 days, at the same production, as you expect. More or less.

I haven't used a ceramic diffuser with DIY, the potential for partial (or total) clogging worries me. Putting it on a non-pressure rated bottle sounds downright scary. Just my opinion, maybe someone's actually tried it and can speak from experience.
Thanks
I think I'll add the 1G bottle to the powerhead since I'm not sure if it can withstand the pressure of the diffuser. Also, do you have any formulas that can go past 20 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
Jump start it but adding a pinch of dry ferts. I add a little miracle grow to my solutions and it leads to almost instantaneous injection.
I think I'll keep it simple since I don't really want to make it any more complicated and I don't really demand instantaneous injection. But thanks anyways

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Also, do you have any formulas that can go past 20 days?
Reducing yeast, or further increasing the recipe without increasing yeast as you're already planning. There is probably a practical limit to the length you can achieve. The most I usually hear about is a month. There was a guy trying for a three-month mix, but if I remember correctly, the reaction stopped prematurely after only a few days.

I recently heard adding a shrimp pellet will add a couple extra days before the yeast die. Just tried it in two 2L bottles with the following recipe:

1.25 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. yeast

One bottle with a seafood wafer, one without (I don't have any shrimp pellets). The one without died completely yesterday. The one with is still producing at about 40% of desirable bubble rate. Nothing spectacular, but worth a seafood wafer I guess.

Other extension techniques are time-release sugar through the Jello method. Have heard of people getting a month or more. I haven't tried it; seems like for the extra work involved, you could just as easily mix a new batch.

And specialized yeasts. Champagne yeast is supposed to ferment more slowly and evenly, and be able to tolerate twice the alcohol content, so theoretically you could add twice the sugar and get more than twice the lifetime. Again, haven't tried it. Champagne yeast is more expensive and has a short shelf life, and I know of no local sources so I'd have to pay shipping too every few months.

But if you desire a long-lived DIY bottle enough that extra cost/effort is worth it, these are worth looking into.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
So I should down it to around 1/4 teaspoon?
In your initial post, you mentioned that you used 1/2 "tbs" which indicates that you were using 1/2 tablespoon. If you are using a 1/2 teaspoon (tsp), then it should be fine.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Typically these solutions reach an alcohol saturation before the sugar is expended. It kills the yeast.

Further, the ammount of yeast is really only relevant for a day or two, as it multiplies rapidly and forms a yeast cake that provides a huge amount of yeast. You can actually drain off the liquid and add more sugar water to keep it going.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
In your initial post, you mentioned that you used 1/2 "tbs" which indicates that you were using 1/2 tablespoon. If you are using a 1/2 teaspoon (tsp), then it should be fine.

Haha my bad, I just looked and it was 1/2 tsp instead of tbs. :P so I should just keep the same amount of yeast and twice the sugar? Or sane recipe as my 2L?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
Further, the ammount of yeast is really only relevant for a day or two, as it multiplies rapidly and forms a yeast cake that provides a huge amount of yeast. You can actually drain off the liquid and add more sugar water to keep it going.
Not quite.

To multiply, or even to ferment, yeast requires additional nutrients not present in great quantity in plain sugar and water.

These nutrients commonly come in with the starting yeast. By controlling how much you add, you can control the max population and fermentation rate.

Old cells die off and new ones cannibalize them; so the population remains fairly constant, instead of it multiplying forever.

You can also boost max population and fermentation rate by adding yeast nutrient, which is made from <drum roll>... dead yeast hulls.

It's even possible to have a condition where all necessary nutrients are locked up so tightly in existing yeast cells, that they can neither multiply nor ferment at all. That's called a stalled fermentation to brewers. I think this is what happened in the three month recipe I mentioned. There was just so little yeast added in that recipe.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Haha my bad, I just looked and it was 1/2 tsp instead of tbs. :P so I should just keep the same amount of yeast and twice the sugar? Or sane recipe as my 2L?
1/2 tbsp. isn't that much.

It's only 1.5 tsp., and I use 1 tsp. in my 2L recipe. Keeps my 10G in the green for 2 weeks at a time with one bottle.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So what should I do about my 1G recipe???

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Go with your original plan.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well
1/2 tsp of yeast
1 tsp of baking soda
3 cups of sugar
85% of water here we go!
I'll post the results in how long it lasts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode