DIY Aquarium Filter using 10" Water Filter - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By mossbrush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have been using 10-inch water filter housing (also 20-inch) to make filter for my aquarium. Here is the link to the video I have created:

The reason I have chosen these housing is:

1. Customizable base on your aquarium size and your need. You can start from one then attach more housing together.
  2. When you have more than one, you can separate different stage of filtration in different housing.
  3. All the parts and housing are available in most local hardware stores or online.

The main components needed are as following:

• Clear 10-inch standard water filter housing (Slim type can also be used, it just a little thin)
  • ” PVC Pipe, couplings, elbow and one or two dual union Ball Valve (is optional for quick disconnection of hoses attached to filter)
  • Water pump of your choice

In order to make the housing to place our filter media, a PVC pipe has to separate the inlet and outlet of the filter. To do so, I have cut the PVC pipe to total length of 10 and an eighth inch or 25.7 centimeter with coupling attached.

To cut the pipe, it should be minus coupling length.
For the couplings I had it is around 1 inch or 2.6 centimeter. That said I have to cut the pipe to 7 15/16” inches or 20.1 cm.
It is ok if the length becomes a little shorter which can be adjusted by using an O-ring or a gasket. Avoid larger size as it leads to leak or it could damage the filter.
To cut the pipe you can use Tubbing Cutter, or saw. I am using Cutter as it gives a clean even cut.
After cutting attach the couplings. You can use PVC cement to make stronger connection. Drill coupling at one end to make eight openings. Then while the PVC is inside place filter media of your choice. Attach hose connectors to in and out of the filter. Base on the placement of the filter and hoses, you can use elbow and dual union ball valve for different direction.
ChrisAZ, Willcooper and plecoholic like this.

Last edited by mossbrush; 03-18-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Interesting idea. Is that a Syncra pump? Are you happy with your DIY project?

Bump: Interesting idea. Is that a Syncra pump? Are you happy with your DIY project?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
Interesting idea. Is that a Syncra pump? Are you happy with your DIY project?

Bump: Interesting idea. Is that a Syncra pump? Are you happy with your DIY project?
Thank you. I am very happy with it as sometimes I open the cabinet door and watch and enjoy.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossbrush View Post
I have been using 10-inch water filter housing (also 20-inch) to make filter for my aquarium. Here is the link to the video I have created:

https://youtu.be/CeJPhD8FVWE

The reason I have chosen these housing is:

1. Customizable base on your aquarium size and your need. You can start from one then attach more housing together.
  2. When you have more than one, you can separate different stage of filtration in different housing.
  3. All the parts and housing are available in most local hardware stores or online.

The main components needed are as following:

• Clear 10-inch standard water filter housing (Slim type can also be used, it just a little thin)
  • PVC Pipe, couplings, elbow and one or two dual union Ball Valve (is optional for quick disconnection of hoses attached to filter)
  • Water pump of your choice

In order to make the housing to place our filter media, a PVC pipe has to separate the inlet and outlet of the filter. To do so, I have cut the PVC pipe to total length of 10 and an eighth inch or 25.7 centimeter with coupling attached.

To cut the pipe, it should be minus coupling length.
For the couplings I had it is around 1 inch or 2.6 centimeter. That said I have to cut the pipe to 7 15/16 inches or 20.1 cm.
It is ok if the length becomes a little shorter which can be adjusted by using an O-ring or a gasket. Avoid larger size as it leads to leak or it could damage the filter.
To cut the pipe you can use Tubbing Cutter, or saw. I am using Cutter as it gives a clean even cut.
After cutting attach the couplings. You can use PVC cement to make stronger connection. Drill coupling at one end to make eight openings. Then while the PVC is inside place filter media of your choice. Attach hose connectors to in and out of the filter. Base on the placement of the filter and hoses, you can use elbow and dual union ball valve for different direction.

Very nice diy setup.

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode