• 1 Post By KZB
  • 2 Post By Edwinmz
  • 2 Post By rick dale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safety concerns with my stand

So I decided on making this 125 gal. stand out of 2x2's. I believe it will be safe because I am using a pretty solid hardwood. To build the frames I used a combination of nails, and screwed on corner braces. I'd like to get some input from you guys before I fill up my tank. I figured if petsmart sells compressed wood stands, my stand should have enough reinforcement. I could be wrong with the reinforcing though, so please advise. *I will be replacing my electrical outlet*

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_123938_1545688748397.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	874385  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_123839_1545688762504.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	874387  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 09:16 PM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

125 gallons is over 1200 pounds. I personally wouldn't fill the tank up until the stand was beefed up more. Theres alot to worry about in a plantedtank. But yours and anybody else that goes near your tank safety is #1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tough to see from the pics, but you want your tank to be directly supported by wood all the way from the floor to the tank. You want to make sure your tank isn't "hanging" on screws or nails. If it's fully supported and not "hanging", you should be fine. I'm not a structural engineer though...

Last thought: If you can easily swap the 2x2s for 2x4s then I think you could live worry-free.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Retired)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 05:46 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like @MCFC you could swap out for 2x4s. Looks like you have ply on each end which is good. You could also ply the back, or cross brace it to prevent it from racking side to side. Across the front you can approximately a 6" ply or 2x material to make the front end more ridged. Sorry I am just concerned for your safety.
Ken Keating1 likes this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it. I decided on adding 2x4's to each corner on both sides. Also gonna add more support to the front.
MCFC and Ken Keating1 like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Definitely brace the back . You need a piece of plywood all the way across the back like you have on each end. You can run it 12 to 18 inches up from the bottom and it should be fine, and still have the top part of the stand open on the backside. I bought a 60 gallon tank with stand from petsmart. And yes it was particle board. But I braced the heck out of it from the inside with 2x4s , screws and Elmerís wood glue. I ran the screws thru the 2x4 s and then into the particle board as far as I could without the screws going thru the particle board. And used plenty of Elmerís wood glue.
ChrisX and Ken Keating1 like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
As it is.... not good. Lots of pictures on the web. You must have three vertical pieces at every corner. The other supports should be compromised of two vertical pieces. Sheet the top back and one side with ply and you are golden.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode