External overflow box - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
@LittleSquishy: thanks for the complement on the journal, it took me a while to get it going. Fortunately a few asked me to begin one, which got me motivated to start it, so that help out a lot!

For the angled teeth, you could probably angle with a file. The MM marine one I purchased came with angled teeth, so I did not have to modify. Another way of quieting is installing a triangular piece of coarse media pad up against the teeth such that water flows through the teeth and down over the angled portion of the pad. Some water will flow through the pad, but the pad slows down the water velocity so it's not as loud.

Take a look at the interior box dimensions of the Eshopps and compare with the interior dimensions of the MM Box. See which one you would prefer to see inside the aquarium.

Oh, when you tag someone use their complete name, such as what I did with yours. That way they'll receive a notification they've been mentioned and can respond accordingly.
LittleSquishy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 03:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSquishy View Post
@Botia dude, I think that might be a great option. I'm definitely curious if it comes already angled or if there is an option for angled slots but at what price. Maybe ken could chime in and let us know if he angled the slots himself or paid for that option himself. All there is left to do is get started on the fish tank stand and wait for the store to open up.
@Ken, I finished reading your tank journal and it is amazing! I think the level of detail is what I want to try to achieve.
Modular Marine Overflows come with angled slots as a standard feature.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have another question related to external overflow boxes. Not so much making one anymore since I plan to purchase one but hiding it from sight. I was thinking about building a peninsula tank stand to have an easier time hiding it that way even though there will only be two sides for observation. The other option is the standard tank but have a it longer for storage purposes or cultivate live food. The problem is with the first option is I have not though of a solution to hiding the overflow box and plumbing. What are your thoughts?

Here are the frames only
https://imgur.com/gallery/Vrx8jJS

120 gallon - Under construction

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Either way remember you need to see into the overflow to tune the flow, be it a Herbie or a BeanAnimal. My tank is 60" long and 26" wide and the rim sits @ 5 feet. With the overflow in the back/center I need a step stool or small step ladder to get a good look.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 06:12 AM

Lots of trial and error to keep a tank quiet.
Cichlid-140 and LittleSquishy like this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Cichlid-140 What would I be looking for when looking inside the overflow? Is it height of water besides the obvious noise level?
@Lacielang as long as I can try as much as I want I am sure I will get to my goal.. it'll just take a bit

120 gallon - Under construction
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSquishy View Post
@Cichlid-140 What would I be looking for when looking inside the overflow? Is it height of water besides the obvious noise level?
@Lacielang as long as I can try as much as I want I am sure I will get to my goal.. it'll just take a bit
The main drain is conciderably lower than the emergency drain. The closer the water level is to the lip of the emergency drain the quieter the system will be.

I run a Herbie and here's the best write up on the Herbie I know of. I can't speak with as much authority about a BeanAnimal but the principles are the same.

Herbie Overflow Plumbing Guide for Quiet Reef Aquariums - gmacreef
LittleSquishy likes this.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode