4Likes
  • 1 Post By natemcnutty
  • 3 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please help!

Will this type of welding on a double stand made with steel angle bars able to carry two, L40 x W22 x H20 (76G), tanks? Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.png
Views:	39
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	873295  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Have no idea but the design is notexactly what I'd call ideal.
But what do I know,,,,
<a href="https://www.quora.com/Strength-of-properly-welded-joint-is-more-than-parent-metal-Is-this-statement-true" target="_blank">https://www.quora.com/Strength-of-properly-welded-joint-is-more-than-parent-metal-Is-this-statement-true

https://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/cabinetry/steel-support-frames/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's over 1,200 lbs. You didn't list actual size of tubing or wall thickness, but I'm not a fan of the way those legs look attached.

Also, you may want to consider some kind of footing or something to keep that stand from falling over if there's an earthquake, someone hits the structure, etc. It's going to be top heavy, and you'll want something to provide better stability.

Last thought is what kind of structure is this being placed on? Concrete - no problem. Joists? You are putting a lot of point pressure on the same ones. Make sure the structure can handle this ok.
mrpringles likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
That's over 1,200 lbs. You didn't list actual size of tubing or wall thickness, but I'm not a fan of the way those legs look attached.

Also, you may want to consider some kind of footing or something to keep that stand from falling over if there's an earthquake, someone hits the structure, etc. It's going to be top heavy, and you'll want something to provide better stability.

Last thought is what kind of structure is this being placed on? Concrete - no problem. Joists? You are putting a lot of point pressure on the same ones. Make sure the structure can handle this ok.

Thanks for your reply! The material that will be used is 2" x 2" 3mm-6mm thick angle bars. The stand will be 40" high x 23" deep. Would it be better of if additional legs were welded on the back and sides? Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.3.png
Views:	25
Size:	735.4 KB
ID:	873333  

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
The additional legs would help distribute the weight to more pressure points - so yes, that is good.
The compressive strength of the angle iron will easily handle the weight of the tank(s)
The challenge I see in the original picture is the welds -if they are good quality welds, you will be just fine. Poor welds and you could have a lot of problems.
One other challenge - getting all the legs to contact the floor evenly with similar amounts of pressure - not an easy task
Kubla, natemcnutty and mrpringles like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When thinking of the long term use many of us got out of the metal stands that were so common, I do not see too much to worry about on the basic design using four legs. There are certainly times when we need to think about the floor and what to do to protect them but the floor loading is something that was never a big problem, even for 55 gallon tanks. Worth thinking of what is under the floor and how it may react to a heavy load as the older floors were often made of more solid materials. If you have a newer house and the builder used some form of "man-made" material like particle board, there may be more concern that if the floor is some form of wood flooring with a 1X10 subfloor. Manufactured/mobile homes, for example? But that is more a question of building structure than stand design.
The point I might want to change would be the way the corner joints are done. One common mistake in building stands it to miss on supporting the horizontal parts directly on top of the verticals. Welding can be strong but why risk it tearing loose if we can lay the top overlapping the verticals so that the fastener of whatever type doesn't have the vertical pressure? Turn the open part of the vertical angle in, rather than out?
This also can help with any question of racking or falling sideways as we can get a weld the full width of the angle as it faces the horizontal portion. If using 2" angle and the full two inches is welded at four corners, there will be no racking! I would not clutter the overall design with more uprights but just do it like the older wrought iron always did it. The center portion of the horizontal at front and rear can often be pushed up and down but that matters very little as it doesn't support any weight but just acts to keep the legs apart. Support the four corners and the rest just floats.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
The point I might want to change would be the way the corner joints are done. One common mistake in building stands it to miss on supporting the horizontal parts directly on top of the verticals. Welding can be strong but why risk it tearing loose if we can lay the top overlapping the verticals so that the fastener of whatever type doesn't have the vertical pressure?

Yea I'm a sissy like that too.. Putting the top frame INSIDE the legs is psychologically annoying...regardless of how strong one tells you it is..

It can, theoretically, be as strong as if it's one piece but every time I would look at it.. "shudder".. YMMV..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do you live in an area prone to high seismic activity? Location, 1st or 2nd Floor? What may work on the first floor may not work on the 2nd floor due to lateral forces.

Personally I'd add cross bracing or bracing off the legs to the horizontal members, without cross bracing the stand looks like it'll be wobbly.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
I prefer to use that type of stand. I've got many of them. And they are built pretty much the exact way your picture shows. My stands are all commercially built and bought.

My 90 gallon is on a stand built with smaller stock than you show. My 75 on stock that is about the same size. No center brace is necessary at all. The 90 has been there for 4 years already. The 75 longer than that. My first stand built like that I bought 37 years ago and am still using it. I've sanded it down a couple of times and repainted it when I moved but that's about it.

I have 10's, 20H, and a bunch of 55's on stands just like that and all are very sturdy. One has a 55 on top and a 45L under it (same footprint as a 55 but shorter.)

If you're welding it up yourself just make sure your welds are true.

You will find gaps between the metal and the tank. DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT!!! None of my tanks has perfect seating on the stands in the middle. And it doesn't matter so long as the tank is not racked it is just fine. None of my tanks on these stands has any foam or cushioning under them. Never had it. Never will. I've never had a failure because of the stand.

And they are not wobbly at all.

The setup you have pictured will allow the bottom tank to be inserted in either direction. I have some that way and some where the back two legs are in the other direction allowing the tank to only go in from the front. Neither way is better or worse than the other.

I still buy them used when I find them if I have a tank that they will fit and the price is right

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

An option to steel and welding extruded aluminum T-slot. Very strong and bolts together. I had speen such stands at work but have not used it myself. There are companies that make aquarium stands out of T-slot. The link below is one such company I just found.

https://www.framingtech.com/solutions/aquarium-stands/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode