4 KH solution - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
4 KH solution

Just bought my first regulator and CO2 cylinder. Also bought a drop checker from Amazon and the instruction says to use aquarium water with their indicator solution. Now I know that isn't precise because my aquarium is not at 4 KH. Sadly I cannot find any solution on Amazon Canada, and the 2 LFS that I have access to do not have those in stock/do not supply those.

I did some research here and in the barrreport, but all the post I found are at least 3-4 years old and all their reference are from websites that do not host this content anymore. So I'm asking you guys : how do you go about to make your own 4 kh solution? I have access to some deionized water from the pharmacy, a balance which the smallest scale is 1g (so i have a 0,5g degree of incertitude) and some unopened sodium bicarbonate.

Also i've red that you need to throw out the indicator solution from the drop checker and use the pH solution from the test kit. I own the API master test kit. Which solution I should use ? The pH or the high pH one?

Thanks.
Dom1042
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 10:49 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here are instructions on how to make your own:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...ndard-how.html

You want to use API's normal pH test kit, which contains bromothymol blue.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
co2, diy, testing co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode