Automated Controller for DIY LEDs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Automated Controller for DIY LEDs

My DIY LED light has been up and running now since Feb 1st.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...k-warning.html

The plants are growing and, so far, no algae problems. The only problem is that I have to turn it on and off manually so the photo period is very random and some days it's way too long.

I could just put it on a timer but it's very bright and the aquarium is in a relatively dark room so when it comes on is scares the fish, especially the pleco.

I found some Reef Controllers that I think can control the Mean Well Drivers but they are pricy and I would never use most of the features.

Does anybody know of a budget conscious why to automat the Mean Well dimmable Drivers?

Thanks,
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not really. Not on a "D" model. I have two of them.

If you had purchased a "P" model (pwm dimming) and you have experience with arduinos (building and programming them), then you could do this for about $50. I can't build them myself, but I have a local friend that is helping me decide if I want to do this or not. I have two used "P" model Meanwells also.

The Arduino could easily be programmed for a slow, steady light increase and decrease.

I don't think they would work with a "D" model since it's just looking for a straight DC reference voltage, not a pwm signal.

If you happen to run across anything, post it here... I've been looking
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
since you have 2 drivers, you could do a staggered start, maybe 30-40 minutes apart.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You could experiment with an inductor in series and a capacitor across the +/- leads to damp the buildup of current to the LEDs. That would take some research to avoid doing some harm to the LEDs. It also damps the shutdown of the current, which might not be desirable. I haven't experimented with this for many years, so I'm not sure where to start.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Neat idea Hoppy.

I fear that the drivers might respond oddly to that. I don't understand the detailed inner workings of the drivers, but I'm not sure what they'd do if something was damping the current.

If this setup has any effect at all on voltage, the driver may struggle to put out the correct voltage to the LEDs since most of them automatically self adjust to the voltage load.

But if this works, it would be very, very cool.

As a side note, if they are using a dimmable driver that uses a 0-10v reference voltage, it might be possible to apply this same principle to the dimmer circuit. This would be perfectly safe for the driver and LEDs.

The setup would have to damp the voltage (if such a thing is possible) since the dimmers are voltage oriented and don't care about the actual current.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Check out this thread it has detailed instructions on how to control meanwell D drivers from an arduino using a easy circut.
Hope that helps.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellin View Post
Check out this thread it has detailed instructions on how to control meanwell D drivers from an arduino using a easy circut.
Hope that helps.

Oops no link...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellin View Post
Hope that helps.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ino+meanwell+d

Sorry phone wouldn't paste I guess.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode