DIY CO2 regulator - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
That second one has two 0-60 gauges on it. It will blow the gauge as soon as CO2 is connected. I noticed that one and messaged the seller. He messaged me back "Thanks for the info, D". He still has not taken it off or put the correct gauge on it.

Thanks, didn't notice that..

I SHOULD have added "WHAT not to buy" really as that was my intention.

Now it's even MORE WHAT NOT TO BUY...
chayos00 likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Thanks, didn't notice that..

I SHOULD have added "WHAT not to buy" really as that was my intention.

Now it's even MORE WHAT NOT TO BUY...
It is a shame that he does not want to do anything about the message I sent him. Especially after taking the time to acknowledge my concerns. Apparently he does not care that the gauge will blow the moment it is connected. It kinda sucks since he does have some decent equipment for sale for pretty good prices. Ex: 292826862077 . However, I cannot trust someone who will not correct or remove an item that is destined for failure. Especially since they were told up-front and they have a no return policy.
chayos00 likes this.

Last edited by AguaScape; 11-23-2018 at 05:51 AM. Reason: edit
post #63 of 196 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just sent him this message:

"I have to be honest here. I told you that the primary (right) gauge will blow out the moment that it is connected to a CO2 tank and you still chose to keep the regulator up for sale. This is a failure on your part. You should immediately take this off sale and correct the issue or you are pretty much guaranteeing a poor review if anyone is stupid enough to purchase it."

It really bothers me that he would take the time to answer my initial message, but do nothing about it. I would be furious if I spent my hard earned money on that reg and found out there was a no return policy after the gauge blew.
chayos00 likes this.

Last edited by AguaScape; 11-23-2018 at 06:19 AM. Reason: quotes

post #64 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update - Regulator assembly is working perfectly. I am using it on my main tank to grow out plants for my current build. The regulator is rock solid and buttery smooth. It holds an exact pressure and can be fine tuned to within 1 psi easily. The needle valve has a tiny bit of float, but it is easily manageable. The solenoid produces no noticeable heat at all. This assembly is much better than any of the commercially available aquarium regulators out there and I am thrilled with the result. Thank you to all those who contributed to this build. Next project is DIY ferts for my dosing pump which will be arriving on Thurs.
Botia dude and chayos00 like this.
post #65 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Update - Regulator assembly is working perfectly. I am using it on my main tank to grow out plants for my current build. The regulator is rock solid and buttery smooth. It holds an exact pressure and can be fine tuned to within 1 psi easily. The needle valve has a tiny bit of float, but it is easily manageable. The solenoid produces no noticeable heat at all. This assembly is much better than any of the commercially available aquarium regulators out there and I am thrilled with the result. Thank you to all those who contributed to this build. Next project is DIY ferts for my dosing pump which will be arriving on Thurs.
Glad to hear all is good on yours! Can't wait till I get my new regulator up and running too!
AguaScape likes this.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #66 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayos00 View Post
Glad to hear all is good on yours! Can't wait till I get my new regulator up and running too!
I am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
chayos00 likes this.
post #67 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@PlantedRich, @jeffkrol, @Botia dude. Or anyone else for that matter. Any of you know why almost all regulator builds show the solenoid before the metering valve? Seems to me that the order really should not matter. The reason I am asking is for the other builds I am doing. On a couple of them I could make them much sleeker by attaching the needle valve directly into the output port of the regulator body and then drop down through the solenoid and back up through the flow meter. It would make for an extremely compact and attractive layout. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
post #68 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does seem bit of a convention thing..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-solenoid.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #69 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Does seem bit of a convention thing..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-solenoid.html

Thanks for that link Jeffkrol. I completely overlooked the concept of air pressure building up behind the solenoid being instantaneously released. Seems this would be an extremely bad idea since I am using flow meters. That little foam ball being slammed into the top of the meter seems like a very bad idea. However.. The flow meters I am going to be using on these will have the built in metering valves so they could be set near the upper range of the flow meter and still allow precision adjustment from the primary metering valve. Does this sound viable?

Last edited by AguaScape; 12-16-2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Edit
post #70 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for that link Jeffkrol. I completely overlooked the concept of air pressure building up behind the solenoid being instantaneously released. Seems this would be an extremely bad idea since I am using flow meters. That little foam ball being slammed into the top of the meter seems like a very bad idea. However.. The flow meters I am going to be using on these will have the built in metering valves so they could be set near the upper range of the flow meter and still allow precision adjustment from the primary metering valve. Does this sound viable?

Yea, I'm not sure I'm really buying it..Posted it as "food for thought"..

Hoke Millimite rating:
Quote:
5000 psig at 70 F (345 bar at 21 C)

post #71 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yea, I'm not sure I'm really buying it..Posted it as "food for thought"..

Hoke Millimite rating:
Funny you should quote the specs from the Hoke Millimite as that is the valve I would be using for this configuration. I am not concerned about the metering valve being under constant pressure, in fact I think it is a non-issue. I would only be concerned about the pressure bleeding past the needle valve and backing up against the solenoid while it is in it's off state. That pressure would be instantaneously released when the solenoid opens. Granted, the volume of that pressurized gas would be very small, but it could easily damage a flow meter. I am hoping to control this release by presetting the needle valve built into the flow meter to prevent slamming that little ball into the top of the meter.
post #72 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I completely lost my senses and decided to try to do something I have not seen yet. I made an offer on this beauty and it was accepted. I also made an offer on a batch of Tescom 0-30 psi manifold mount regulators (also accepted). Guess I am committed now. The idea is to make an all in one regulator assembly that will allow precise control of a set of 4 secondary regulators with solenoids, gauges, needle valves, and flow meters. My hope is that I can use them for whatever type of CO2 injection method I choose and it will satisfy my rapidly growing case of MTS (at least on the CO2 front). Hopefully I do not go past 4 tanks...

My plan is to make a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 12 inch aluminum block manifold that will be drilled and tapped to provide the flow routes and attachment points for all the other components. I can trim it to the length that I really need. I plan to use a high pressure air hose rated at 4500 psi between the tank and the primary regulator assembly.

The pretty little ball in the photo is a Swagelok high flow regulator that is pre-set to 60 psi which it will hold between 80 and 1000 psi input pressure (Yeah, I will have to be extra careful to not put a hot or overfilled tank on it). I will be reversing the direction of the regulator to put the output on the left. The next piece is a distribution manifold which will distribute that pressure to my manifold block providing 4 separate tubes to my secondary assembly. The third item on the top right is a pressure switch that I will connect to a DIY alarm (possibly a dismantled smoke detector or maybe something prettier) to alert me when my CO2 tank runs dry. Definitely will need a disable switch as I would hate to have to listen to an alarm till I could swap tanks. I could also hook it to a indicator light to show when it has pressure because it has both NO and NC outputs, but I think it would be unnecessary. No alarm = pressure. The secondary regulators are rated up to 150 psi with an output of 0-30 psi. I plan to run the power supplies to the solenoids from a smart outlet strip that will give me wifi control of the durations.

Does anyone see a problem with using aluminum for the manifold? The CO2 should be completely inert as it does not become acidic until it combines with water.

I know... I have gone completely insane...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	874599  

chayos00 likes this.

Last edited by AguaScape; 12-29-2018 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Edit
post #73 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well.. not sure I totally understand everything you are doing but using that to drop the pressure and then feed multiple single stage regulators seems fairly solid..

Good thing you got what looks like "the main" fittings that would be costly i.e the HVCR "parts"..

https://download.siliconexpert.com/p...languageen.pdf

You can double check the specs here (possibly)

Quote:
I will be reversing the direction of the regulator to put the output on the left.
not sure about that part...

post #74 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well.. not sure I totally understand everything you are doing but using that to drop the pressure and then feed multiple single stage regulators seems fairly solid..

Good thing you got what looks like "the main" fittings that would be costly i.e the HVCR "parts"..
Yeah. I was looking into the HVCR fittings and they were pretty much a deal breaker till I found this assembly with the needed parts already installed.

I have that same page on favorites on my browser. The model number printed on the band is SS-HFS3B-HM41-P60/40/80 which is pretty perplexing because none of these regulators have a preset output of 60, 40, or 80 psi and only the HFS4A is available in 80 psi. Regardless any one of those pressures would be fine for my application as the secondary regs are rated to 150 psi with output of 0-30 psi.

Quote:
not sure about that part...
I just meant that I was going to completely remove the whole regulator assembly from the clamps and flip it over so that the high pressure side would be on the right (where I keep my tank) and the low pressure side will be next to the distribution manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820 (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	874637  

chayos00 likes this.
post #75 of 196 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 05:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

To be honest, it looks like it only will take 80 psi "in" and 60 psi out @40slpm (standard liters per minute??)..

https://www.fabsurplus.com/sdi_catal...ls.do?id=80115

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode