125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #196 of 212 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisha View Post
Hi,
I'm wondering if I could ask you gents for help. I purchased the Ebay regulator posted by AguaScape, and received it. It's lovely looking. I'd like to make a paintball setup, for space reasons, and would like to it to stand up. I haven't gotten around to sourcing the rest of the build yet.

I just came back from a trip and was sad to see my plants wilted from lack of CO2 - I'd been using a ghetto-rigged mini bike tire inflator with disposable CO2 cartridges, turning it on each evening for a few hours when I came home from work, and my plants were doing well! But it's too finicky to ask someone to do this for me while I'm away if they are fish-sitting. In any case, this has prompted me to get started on the regulator.

I'm not overly technically minded, but have read enough from you guys to know the parts like the solenoid and NV -55-18 in the kit from DIYCO2regulator would be good for this job. I have no interest in integrating a bubble counter. (I do think an analog flow meter would be cool and useful!)
The only thing is I want to keep everything vertical as much as possible, and nice and tightly parallel with the regulator mounted vertically on the paintball tank - does that make sense? I don't want it to topple.

I'd buy the post-body kit, and a few additional pieces if that's recommended, but otherwise should I just buy the solenoid and valve?

But could anyone suggest some generic hardware dimensions that I could use to make a nice vertically oriented build? Complicating this is that not all sellers on Ebay will ship to canada, but I might be able to find similar hardware in Canada (Toronto) locally.

Thanks so much in advance for your input!
That reg is pretty much ideal for a vertical setup. You would need an adapter for paintball fitting to a 1/4 NPT male. From there you would probably want a 1/4 npt male 90 to turn back downwards to your solenoid and metering valve. Pretty much identical to the build I posted except the bottle would feed directly into the end of the reg instead of doing the double 90 turn back from a horizontal output.

I may come across as a know-it-all. In reality, I have no idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 212 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaScape View Post
The adjustment are great. The pressure is easily controlled and the needle valve is excellent. I found a source for the Nupro metering valves and they are not too expensive compared to the Swagelok ones. Same valve, different name.
Do you mind sharing the source?

How many tanks is too much.....asking for my wife!
post #198 of 212 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
That reg is pretty much ideal for a vertical setup. You would need an adapter for paintball fitting to a 1/4 NPT male. From there you would probably want a 1/4 npt male 90 to turn back downwards to your solenoid and metering valve. Pretty much identical to the build I posted except the bottle would feed directly into the end of the reg instead of doing the double 90 turn back from a horizontal output.
Hi,
Sorry for late reply, I didn't see the notification. Thanks for the guidance - I lost a bit of interest out of frustration, but excited again to try to build it!

Best,
Nisha

post #199 of 212 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
It took me a while to discover this thread, most of the co2 system build threads were in the equipment section.

Quote:
Well, I got my regulator assembly stand built today. I used 3/4" acrylic for the base and 1/2" acrylic for the supports. I flat sanded all the edges with a very slight roundover and flame polished it. I am really pleased with how it came out.

Now I need to work on the electrical. Hoping to make the wiring discreet enough that it is not an eyesore. I will probably use Cat5 cable between the solenoids and the plug socket that will be tucked under the primary regulator.

I will be putting dosing reservoirs inside the cabinet so I will have enough room for any combination of dosing pumps and ph controllers for up to 4 tanks. I know I will have two sets here. Will probably have the other ones at their respective tank locations as they are farther away.

Sorry about the low quality pics, I am running low on photo space.
nice build, good looking multiple output system.
flow meter as measuring device, your option is limited. Instead of dywer, try brooks instrument sho-rate flow meter, you are looking for the one with a number on the flow adjust valve cap, best number is "1", any number bigger than 3 or mark "M" "H", or "L" are not the one you need, so the only options are "1", "2", or "3".

Quote:
Trying to go next level. Just my style right? I have become obsessed with electronic flow controllers like the sierra side track mass flow controller. These are available in 0-100 and 0-200 cc/min options. Looking for some feedback on what I have found. @jeffkrol I am looking forward to hearing from you in particular, because you have a great grasp of technical details. This is the link to the Sierra side track flow controller instruction manual. I did a quick read-over of the connections and it seems to me that a simple potentiometer is required to adjust settings as illustrated on page 2-7 and 2-11, and a +15v, -15v and a common ground are the power requirements. a flow meter could easily be used to confirm the output flow and I could adjust the potentiometer accordingly.
Am I missing something here? Could it be that simple?
you don't need a mass flow controller to control the flow rate, because I think you still need a digital input unit to connect to the controller, and when you start looking for a digital input/control unit, I think you will back off from the idea....
But you are correct we can use a mass flow controller as a bubble counter(metering device), some controller are metering only, with digital display build in. I own two of them since 2012, bought them around $50 each, new, one aalborg 0-50 sccm, another is omega, I think it is 0-200 sccm. I tried them in 2014, both work really good but not for CO2, so the flow rate is a reference but does not represent the exact figure.

I need to update my metering valve selection thread, had all the info ready about more suitable metering valves and solenoids, but failed to do so in 2014 before I took a long break from PT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 10-23-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: correction
post #200 of 212 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

when you see my post, better get the brooks sho-rate fast or the affordable ones will disappear from evilbay, because I am afraid my fans still active, lol.

my posts was closely monitored by some ppl back in 2013-2014, some of the parts disappeared from evilbay before I had the chances to try them myself because I post the info out there.

not sure who start DIYCO2REGULATOR, hopefully it is one of the builders that I knew, the parts and combo are all the same as what I offered in sale thread back in 2013-2014..

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #201 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:41 AM
Algae Grower

After reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, I picked up this used Harris HP702 for $40. I am about to put together my first real planted tank w/co2 and when I saw this I figured it was a great deal. I'm gonna have a buch of questions soon. I hope this forum will be patient and helpful. At least while trying to learn about quality regulators I dug up an old thread instead of starting a new one, amirite?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HarrisHP702Regulator.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	893009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HarrisHP702Regulator1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	893011  

chayos00 likes this.
post #202 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TNBuckeye View Post
After reading this thread a couple of weeks ago, I picked up this used Harris HP702 for $40. I am about to put together my first real planted tank w/co2 and when I saw this I figured it was a great deal. I'm gonna have a buch of questions soon. I hope this forum will be patient and helpful. At least while trying to learn about quality regulators I dug up an old thread instead of starting a new one, amirite?
This is awesome, I love seeing regulator builds. Digging into old threads is a great way to answer questions and learn stuff, but going forward I think it would be good to start a build thread specific to you and your regulator. That way I won't have to skip over so much stuff I've already seen, haha! Links to threads that inspired you would keep all that good info in your new thread too, so that's an option. I'd personally just like to see a fresh thread about your journey into regulator building. Good luck!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #203 of 212 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

how to build and what to use, search equipment section.

oldpunk has a build thread instruction, check sticky in equipment section.
E.TNBuckeye likes this.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #204 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

Now that I'm about to start building this regulator, I noticed there's a sticker on it that says "Non-corrosive gases only." It's a Harris GP702-125-346-A. I can't find much about this rig. It appears to be a chrome plated regulator with a stainless steel diaphragm. will this work for my application?

TIA
post #205 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Now that I'm about to start building this regulator, I noticed there's a sticker on it that says "Non-corrosive gases only." It's a Harris GP702-125-346-A. I can't find much about this rig. It appears to be a chrome plated regulator with a stainless steel diaphragm. will this work for my application?

TIA
Yes
E.TNBuckeye likes this.
post #206 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

TIA

Should be 125 max output pressure so good.. Has an air CGA (346), no issue since you need to change it anyways normally. Few can be found w/ a CO2 CGA.

GP prob stands for general purpose..
CO2 is generally non-corrosive.
"A" just means a needle valve is attached.
702 model is 2 stage.
E.TNBuckeye likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #207 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 11:49 PM
Algae Grower

@RLee & @jeffkrol,

Thanks for your replies. Now that we've established I have no idea what I'm doing, can someone tell me the parts I need to finish this thing, maybe even links?

TIA

post #208 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
@RLee & @jeffkrol,

Thanks for your replies. Now that we've established I have no idea what I'm doing, can someone tell me the parts I need to finish this thing, maybe even links?

TIA

You need a CGA-320 nut & nipple, check valve, bubble counter or flow meter and a post body kit. This site has everything except bubble counter or flow meter. https://www.diyco2regulator.com/cga-320-nut-nipple. You can find all this stuff on ebay or elsewhere if you want to hunt.
This thread has some good info, check the link inside for testing the regulator. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...se-advise.html
E.TNBuckeye likes this.
post #209 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For a new person, one of the mean points is that it seems to complex, so to get it down to easier, I like to look at each item as what we are speaking is not building a reg but getting a set of parts together.
REg needs to connect to the CO2 tank so a CO2 specific nipple (pipe?) is CGA 320 and also need a specific nut to hold it one the tank. A small plastic/nylon washer is often placed here to seal it.
The reg body cuts the pressure down to workable and hands the gas along to where we often place a solenoid. A solenoid is an electrically operated valve and we can use it on a timer to turn gas on/off. A needle valve is often the next part as it lets us adjust the flow of the gas to get very tiny amounts we use. A bubble counter is one way to have a visible reference of how much we change things as we adjust. Depending on size of tank and lots of smaller details, we may get to a point where bubbles are going past too fast to count and another method is the flowmeter, which lets the gas flow blow a tiny ball up to give us a number for the flow. One or the other is needed just to see what we do when we adjust things. Tubing of course but at the end we need some way to mix the gas into the water and that is almost another whole subject as it can be a ceramic disk, aDIY form of some sort or a reactor like a Cerg's or Grigg's style.
Short rundown to a very complicated issue as there are dozens/ hundreds of variables to consider. Point to know is that there is not one solid answer for all to use and it has to be studied a bit to sort but easier to think of parts rather than the whole ballgame.
Full blown second section of the hobby is the mechanical parts we want!
E.TNBuckeye likes this.
post #210 of 212 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 AM
Algae Grower

@RLee & @ jeffkrol,

I tried to contact the people @DIYregulator.com to see if they would just tell me which pieces/package to buy. I haven't heard back from them so I decided to go to Holston Gas today to see if I could just buy the bits there and have them assemble. While there they said my regulator will "freez" and that co2 is corrosive due to being "wet." The being a corrosive gas goes against the research I've done. From what I understand it's mildly corrosive. Will this Harris GP702-125-346-A work, or should I start from scratch?

TIA

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode