Old fixture as a retrofit vessel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
Old fixture as a retrofit vessel

I have a 48" aqualight, which without bulbs is nearly worthless.

I was wondering if anyone has used it as a means to place a retrofit T5 (or even T8 as it would be similar) inside.

The PC ballast and wires/ends are worth more to the LFS here than the whole fixture So if I remove those I should have enough $$ to buy a T5 retro kit, or could a 65W PC ballast power an F54T5HO bulb?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
First, if you disassemble a used light fixture, the removed parts won't be purchased by any LFS at any price. You can't trade in a used ballast for new parts.

Any retrofit kit that you can fit into the old fixture housing will work fine. You might have to attach the new ballast to the outside, on the back of the old housing, but the result will be a good, workable light fixture. I would buy a ballast designed for T5HO bulbs long before I would consider using a used PC ballast for T5HO bulbs, even though it might work fine.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
The LFS here is "strange" to say the least. They buy used stuff off me all the time. He has a bunch of new coralife ballasts but doesnt have the plugs that attach to the pins on the ballast (the new ones don't let you wire directly to them, kind of like an ice cap you need the proper harness). I talked to him a few minutes ago and he's going to give me $40 for the two ballasts and the wiring stuff for it, because he'll sell them as retrofits.

Now I can either do a T5 retro or just retro T8s in there depending on what I'm going to use it for... still not 100% sure what I'm doing with that tank...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If you remove the ballasts, you will have to purchase new anyway, so go T5 and have quality light instead of mediocre.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode