DIY led on the simple&cheap side - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY led on the simple&cheap side

TL;DR
4 50W "full spectrum" grow leds + 10 20W 6000K led bulbs + 5 5to15W green leds = cheap and nice led fixture? HALP pics below.

I'm planning on build a DIY led light on the cheap side, I have had experience with "simple" led light bulbs on my little tank (somewhere around 50G) 4 bulbs of 6000K 20W with finnex fugeray planted+, the fixture was nothing next to the row of them in the intensity aspect but the color was horrible, way too much green and yellow. The plants didn't like it too much but they were growing nicely.
Now I have a much larger tank (around 155G) right now it's lit with 3 6000K 100W led flood lights, the plants are growing nicely but the leaves are elongated, quite thin and the color is sh*t to say the least, again too much green&yellow.
So... the plan is to buy some white led full spectrum grow lights but from what I've read they're quite pinkish and I don't want my aquarium going from G&Y to pink, so to balance the pink hue I'm planning on adding the "simple" 6000K led light bulbs and maybe some green leds in between the grow lights.
Going to be about 37000 LM total and that's about 239 Lumen for each Gallon.
I'm not sure if that's an overkill because right now it's about 24000 Lumen and the fish are not blind yet

Btw the dimensions of the tank are 60"x20"x20"

The reason I'm posting this (after about 2-3 years of lurking in this forum) is because I want to hear your thoughts and any experience you have with these kinds of leds, I'm really not sure if it's even worth the try, again I try to save money as much as possible and this is the solution I came up with, if you have better ideas DO SHARE!!

The plan:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The tank right now:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b79...ew?usp=sharing

Tags
cheap easy diy, diy, full spectrum daylight, led aquarium lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode