Electrical help wiring two t5 ballasts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Arrow Electrical help wiring two t5 ballasts

Hey guys and gals. I got a question for you savvy electricians. I have 2 t5 ballasts that I would like to wire in a way so that they share the same power cord. And for an added bonus I would like to have each ballast controlled by its own on/off switch. Can this be done?

I am trying to make my fixture a bit more sleek by eliminating as many external cords as possible. I can't seem to find anything online that tells me it can be done. I did find a post on a random forum suggesting that its as simple as combing the the live with the live, the neutral with the neutral, and ground with ground. And placing switches at each live wire coming from the ballast. So basically the ballasts are ran in parallel.

I am using the following:
2 x Universal Lighting B239PUNV-D Ballasts (each ballast will be lighting up 2x39watt t5ho bulbs)
2x Rocker Switches rated @ AC 6A/250V or 10A/125V - 2 Pin SPST

I really apprecaite your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
Hey guys and gals. I got a question for you savvy electricians. I have 2 t5 ballasts that I would like to wire in a way so that they share the same power cord. And for an added bonus I would like to have each ballast controlled by its own on/off switch. Can this be done?

I am trying to make my fixture a bit more sleek by eliminating as many external cords as possible. I can't seem to find anything online that tells me it can be done. I did find a post on a random forum suggesting that its as simple as combing the the live with the live, the neutral with the neutral, and ground with ground. And placing switches at each live wire coming from the ballast. So basically the ballasts are ran in parallel.

I am using the following:
2 x Universal Lighting B239PUNV-D Ballasts (each ballast will be lighting up 2x39watt t5ho bulbs)
2x Rocker Switches rated @ AC 6A/250V or 10A/125V - 2 Pin SPST

I really apprecaite your input!

Should not be an issue. Just wire nut 2 additional black wires to the 1 coming from the power cord. Run Each additional black wire to one side of the rocker switch and then the other side of the switch to the black wire spot on the ballast. This is the "HOT" wire. I think you used the term "Live"

Wire nut 2 additional white wires to the 1 white wire of the power cord but go straight to each white wire position on the ballast. This is the "Neutral" wire, also can be called the "Common" wire.

Wire the green wire the same as the white but connect it to the ballast case or if supplied the green position on the ballast. This is called the "Ground" wire. If you connect the "Ground" wire to the case of the ballast I would crimp on an eyelet type connector to the wire. Then use a star type lockwasher under the eyelet so that when you screw everything down it will bite into the ballast case and make a good connection. You would use one of the screws that holds the ballast to the light housing.

The ballast will have it rated amperage marked on the ballast. I have some 2x54w T5HO ballast and they are rated for 1.05 amps. The switch you choose should be more than sufficient. I always like to use a switch that is rated for at least double the amperage load I will be switching.

Last edited by RLee; 10-03-2018 at 03:19 AM. Reason: add
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLee View Post
Should not be an issue. Just wire nut 2 additional black wires to the 1 coming from the power cord. Run Each additional black wire to one side of the rocker switch and then the other side of the switch to the black wire spot on the ballast. This is the "HOT" wire. I think you used the term "Live"

Wire nut 2 additional white wires to the 1 white wire of the power cord but go straight to each white wire position on the ballast. This is the "Neutral" wire, also can be called the "Common" wire.

Wire the green wire the same as the white but connect it to the ballast case or if supplied the green position on the ballast. This is called the "Ground" wire. If you connect the "Ground" wire to the case of the ballast I would crimp on an eyelet type connector to the wire. Then use a star type lockwasher under the eyelet so that when you screw everything down it will bite into the ballast case and make a good connection. You would use one of the screws that holds the ballast to the light housing.

The ballast will have it rated amperage marked on the ballast. I have some 2x54w T5HO ballast and they are rated for 1.05 amps. The switch you choose should be more than sufficient. I always like to use a switch that is rated for at least double the amperage load I will be switching.

RLee, thank you for your help. This will get me going on my project a quicker!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode