• 1 Post By Oughtsix
  • 1 Post By FishRFriendz
  • 1 Post By FishRFriendz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Cutting glass

I disassembled a cracked 90g. Cutting the glass looks straightforward until the pieces get short. I got some running pliers which worked well with 1/8” glass, was able to cut off a sliver that was 1/4” even. When i tried test cutting the 90g glass which I think is 5/8” thick I couldn’t get the pliers to work.

Anyone have some Ideas? Suggestions? Experiences?

Maybe there’s a better tool for the short end cuts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you sure it's glass and not acrylic? I've never heard of anyone using glass that's 5/8", even for larger tanks like that...

That said, it's going to be difficult cutting pieces off that are narrower than the thickness of the glass itself, not to mention that thickness at all. You'd probably be better served renting a tile wetsaw and buying a diamond blade for it.

I have MTS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjbacon View Post
Are you sure it's glass and not acrylic? I've never heard of anyone using glass that's 5/8", even for larger tanks like that...

That said, it's going to be difficult cutting pieces off that are narrower than the thickness of the glass itself, not to mention that thickness at all. You'd probably be better served renting a tile wetsaw and buying a diamond blade for it.

I wish it were acrylic. Acrylic you can take a table saw to at least.

|
|
|

|
|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I might look to a glass grinder like used for stained glass. Very difficult to cut thin strips off glass but they grind pretty well if you set up a fence to get the steady, even cut. With a big piece like walls, it may also need to have an extended table to hold the long pieces.
Leeatl likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

I have a glass 110g tall tank I would like to reuse the glass on so I have been looking into cutting thick glass. Apparently there is a different scribe wheel that you are supposed to use when cutting thicker glass. I think there is a different kind of running pliers to give you more leverage. I would really like to know how this works out for you???

wastewater likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
I have a glass 110g tall tank I would like to reuse the glass on so I have been looking into cutting thick glass. Apparently there is a different scribe wheel that you are supposed to use when cutting thicker glass. I think there is a different kind of running pliers to give you more leverage. I would really like to know how this works out for you???

Yeah, the more industrial size running pliers seem to be the way to go. Unfortunately they seem to have a significantly higher price. This was a curbside tank I disassembled and the costs were supposed to stay real low, so the glass will probably become some kinda topper instead of a tank.

|
|
|

|
|

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cutting glass

Well, I found a use for at least one pane. Double checked and found it was 3/8" thick glass. Found a local glass company that can cut 3/8" glass and does cuts for about $10.

I also have a tank that had the back pane get cracked while shipping. This actually happened to 2 tanks, the company attempt a 2nd shipment after filing a claim with fedex for the 1st, after the second fail I canceled the order as fedex was not up to the task of delivering a box without stacking heavy stuff on it. The tank manufacturer packs the tank on its face because of some additions that are done to the back of the tank making it difficult for them to ship in the usual position or something, either way the seller doesn't have any say in how the manufacturer positions the tank in the box).

Since the seller gets their insurance claim the only thing to do with the broken tanks is to toss them out. One tank got picked up by fedex, I hope they use it for demonstration/training examples. The other tank fedex never came for so I'm left with the responsibility of tossing it out. After inspection the back panel is the only one that is damaged so I'll repurpose the salvaged glass and have one pane cut down hopefully for $20 but at most for $40 to get all edges cleaned up. $20-$40 for a 30 gallon rimless low iron glass on 3 sides! 36"L x 15"W x 13"H Kinda strange dimensions, it's a cross between a UNS90L and ADA90P.

Now I know what to do with the rest of the glass from the 90g salvage... save it for future occasions like this... keepin an eye on the curbsides!
Immortal1 likes this.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 02-06-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Also
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice bit of information on cutting thicker glass. I did a bit of creative glass cutting recently - post 602 on my build thread below.
As for saving glass from curb finds - always!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cutting glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Nice bit of information on cutting thicker glass. I did a bit of creative glass cutting recently - post 602 on my build thread below.

As for saving glass from curb finds - always!

I found that most local glass companies around here can only cut 1/4” glass, I checked 3 companies and just as I was giving up and looking at buying new 1/4” glass custom cut online a friend said he knew one that would do up to 1”. So it will vary by the market. Just for comparison, a single new clear custom cut to my 36x13 of 1/4” would have cost $69 delivered. So either $70 bucks to fix the tank or $20-40, either way it's very cheap for a rimless with low iron viewing panels.
Immortal1 likes this.

|
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 02-06-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: also
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Innovative Marine Nuvo EXT micro 30L

Broken in shipping by FedEx

Cleaned up

Salvaged bottom panel from 90g curbside

|
|
|

|
|

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

Hard nipples can cut glass.

Jokes aside, does anyone know if a tile cutter would work on glass?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:55 PM

Just use a normal glass cutter and make sure you do your cut in one stroke making sure you connect from one side to the other when cutting and if it wont snap in half lightly tap the cut line with the back of your glass cutter. While I don't make aquarium I used to cut glass for stained glass.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode