aquaponics and aquascaping? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
aquaponics and aquascaping?

hey guys. I wanted to build a planted aquarium that does not require any water changes at all, but I find it is difficult for aquarium plants to keep pace with the rate of waste generation by the fish.
I saw that it was much easier to grow terrestrial plants like herbs on the roof of the aquarium than dealing with water plants. The herbs grow at the rate of waste generation, and are useful for home use.
The problem is that once I turn the aquarium into a base for hydroponics, it will lose all its beauty. It will not look natural with planters or boxes above it.
My question, is there a combination of aquaponics with aquascaping?
I found just one example in the entire Internet for such an idea, and it is a commercial product of some kind of company.
the productd is called Aquaterrium by Penn Plax.
The problem with this product is that it's very small for me. I would like to emulate it, and do something similar - herbs that grow in crevices in the rock under a waterfall!
Does anyone have any idea how to do that? Or did someone do such a thing and could share photos?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Maybe do a sump and have they hydroponics hidden inside the stand/cabinet, like a saltwater sump refugium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A sump would be a good option, you'll find a few people with planted sumps. The trouble is getting a balance, you generally want to put stuff in e.g. fish food and fertilizer but the plants are unlikely to exactly balance that by taking things up in the same proportions and growing healthily but at the perfect rate for trimming. You might look at auto water change systems if you want to make water changes less hassle.

You could look at paludariums - there are a few commercially available with a similar design or if you go to a custom tank builder they could put you something similar but bigger together.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
I hope that it can be done.
I will attempt it with 6 20L aquariums and an additional 20L as a wet/dry sump. These 20L tanks will be planted ornamental tanks with a light bio load. I will route some of the water from the wet/dry sump return to 3 tiered lettuce/tomato/strawberry beds that will be suspended in the air. So picture some water getting routed to the planters, and some water getting routed to a CO2 reactor and UV filter before passing to the 6 aquariums. Each of the planters will be 3' wide, 1' deep, 1' high. I'm thinking it will be a very low yielding aquaponics setup.... Meaning.. I will rely on the sump to do the majority of the filtering for the tanks. Likewise. the planters, may not always get all of the nutrients they need, so won't grow fast to their true potential.... We will see. It will take about a year for me to get it all together. I don't imagine I will have a true balance, but I'm hoping it at least will look nice.

learning never stops.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode