10 Gallon Sump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Sump

Hello everyone I am getting back into the aquarium hobby and this will be my first planted aquarium. I am going to be going with either a 30 or 40 gallon acrylic tank. For the filtration system I have a 10 gallon tank that is just laying around and was wondering if anyone had a good sump design? Most of the ones I have seen are for more than 10 gallons and are almost always for saltwater. I have found a few design ideas but wanted to see if anyone had any success with anything specific before I pulled the trigger. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

Aloha, like you I'm new to this site and to planted tanks. Having said that I have had a few fresh water aquariums but mostly marine and reef systems throughout the years. It's been my experience that the primary advantages of a sump filter system that immediately come to mind are the aerobic bacteria potential and the opportunity to keep unsightly hardware out of the display tank. I have never used a sump as small as 10 gallons so I'm not sure how much you can hide in one that size. I have seen some mini sump systems and components on ebay but I choose to go with a cannister filter and inline components for my new planted tank. I would probably have gone with a sump if I had had enough space.
Good luck!

Dangit!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Luckily I don’t need have a ton to hide in it just a heater, return pump, and then all the filter media. Below is a picture of my initial design for the sump. It leaves 5.5 gallons worth of space remaining in the sump in the even the pump starts (I plan on putting a siphon break in it regardless). With the plan of a 40 gallon tank if I place the lowest part of the overflow 1 inch from the top I will never flood my sump. This also makes it so if my drain get plugged my last chamber won’t have enough to flood the tank. Any thoughts on the design would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24451C3A-C408-4ACD-AD66-D45BBCA995B6_1536627397714.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	868763  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 06:09 AM
Planted Member

Bio balls are great for wet/dry filters because they do an excellent job of breaking up streams of water down to drops of water. Submerged bio balls are mediocre at best. There are much better medias to used submerged... like ceramic rings. Change the bio balls to a bag(s) of ceramic rings then put an air stone or two underneath the bag to oxygenate the bacteria and water.

I would suggest looking at filter bags on the sump intake... mainly because they are very easy to maintain and can offer quite fine filtration. If the "mechanical" (I assume sponge) filtration in your diagram is easy to maintain and doesn't offer much chance for the water to by-pass around it the sponge should do a great job. Easy to clean = gets cleaned often in my experience.

I like running the heater in my sumps. It doesn't look like your partition sizing will allow you to easily put a heater in the sump. You might want to consider where you would put a heater in your layout.

Otherwise looks good. The simpler the design the better in my opinion.

I ran a 55g aquarium for the sump on my 110g tank. Currently I am running a 5 gallon (store bought) wet/dry (trickle) filter on our 35g tank because it fits in the stand well. When I get our 180g tank setup I will go back to the 55g sump. A 10 gallon sump for a 30 - 40 gallon main tank will do a very nice job if setup well and should give you all the filtration you need.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice! After looking around at heaters I also came to the conclusion that I will have to adjust the size of the partitions to accommodate one. I was on the fence between the ceramic rings and the bio balls but have decided on the ceramic. I have a couple air stones so I will definitely be placing them under the rings. Once I have it all set up I’ll post pics!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oughtsix View Post
Bio balls are great for wet/dry filters because they do an excellent job of breaking up streams of water down to drops of water. Submerged bio balls are mediocre at best. There are much better medias to used submerged... like ceramic rings. Change the bio balls to a bag(s) of ceramic rings then put an air stone or two underneath the bag to oxygenate the bacteria and water.

I would suggest looking at filter bags on the sump intake... mainly because they are very easy to maintain and can offer quite fine filtration. If the "mechanical" (I assume sponge) filtration in your diagram is easy to maintain and doesn't offer much chance for the water to by-pass around it the sponge should do a great job. Easy to clean = gets cleaned often in my experience.

I like running the heater in my sumps. It doesn't look like your partition sizing will allow you to easily put a heater in the sump. You might want to consider where you would put a heater in your layout.

Otherwise looks good. The simpler the design the better in my opinion.

I ran a 55g aquarium for the sump on my 110g tank. Currently I am running a 5 gallon (store bought) wet/dry (trickle) filter on our 35g tank because it fits in the stand well. When I get our 180g tank setup I will go back to the 55g sump. A 10 gallon sump for a 30 - 40 gallon main tank will do a very nice job if setup well and should give you all the filtration you need.
Do you have a picture of your sump or your sump design you can share?

Last edited by oval291; 10-10-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: double post
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

The only thing I would watch out for is if there is a power outage the sump can handle the back flow of the main tank and it doesnít over flow .
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

The larger the sump the better honestly. You want extra room for the reverse siphon/overflow water in the worse case scenario.

My sump is essentially divided into three parts. The first is just empty and where the returns drain out. I also have my little pump for my CO2 reactor located here. Second is filtration. I do use bioballs. But I had them laying around, so I put them to use. I also have various filtration pads. I have my CO2 reactor return directed underneath this section (I supported it with egg crate so there is about 2” of plain water underneath). Then my third section is for the return pump. It’s a very simple sump but it works.

My tank is much larger, and I ended up with a 300W eheim which wouldn’t fit even in the sump despite it being a 45g so I stuck it in my overflow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode