LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY lights for a 110g(tall)

What if I were to create something say with 4 bulbs, using this

Amazon.com: Westinghouse Lighting 22259 2-Lamp Socket: Home & Garden

and then 4 of these

85 Watt Spiral <b>8,000</b> Hour / 5000K: Light Bulbs Etc, Inc.

I calcluate having around 340 Watts or 3 watts per gallon?

And then use a duct pipe as a reflector/holding mechanism and then making a hood around it...

I'm assuming I'd have to wire some fans in there possibly.... due to heat ??? maybe?????

I do have glass tops for the aquarium as well to cut down on any condensation that possible heat could create.....

I know sounds like a lot of work, but it seems to me to be fairly cheap to create, unless I'm missing something out of this. Would appreciate the help from the DIY-selfers out there....

This is my first post so be kind. I plan on just dosing with Metricide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Algae Grower

I did that exact thing on my 55g a few years back and it worked great for a couple years.
I took the two 24 inch fixtures that came with the tank and removed the fluorescent light mechanism and replaced it with a similar outlet and 2 100w equivalent CF's so I had in theory the equivalent of 400 W over the tank.
Plants grew great and the tank looked great.
Good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
For more information on this subject, read https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...ver-bulbs.html

Four 85 watt CFL bulbs would generate a lot of heat to get rid of, and those are big bulbs, big diameters and big lengths. They aren't your run of the mill "power saver" bulbs.

I just did some big extrapolating of the data on the PAR from CFL bulbs: at 30 inches one of those bulbs might give you about 30 micromols of PAR, low light. Putting 4 of them, spread out over a four foot length might give you about 60 micromols, which is low medium light. You could get about the same light with with about 3 T5HO, 54 watt bulbs evenly spaced across the depth of that 18 inch depth tank, and use less than half the electric power.

Hoppy

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Planted Member

I agree with Hoppy on the 85w CFLs.
Otherwise, this would be cheap and easy and effective.
I think there is still some prejudice against spiral CFLs left over from when they were not as good as a value as they are now, and because we like the fancier compact fluorescents like t5s. The one knock against spiral CFLs is that you lose a few more lumens to restrike than with some other bulb options. Lumen per watt is actually pretty good.
As long as there is enough space for passive air mov't and vents in the hood, you won't need fans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My issue right now is $$$ I might try a different bulb but CFLs right now are being considered because of a $$$ issue, now I might be out of my league trying to get CFLs set up for a 110g tank, but trying to explore my options
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When $$$ are in short supply I would think of Fishneedit. Alternatively, I would think of the CFLs, just as you are, but for such a high tank they are not a great choice. Once you get up near 30 inches from the light, there aren't many usable options to T5HO or MH.

However, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...tml#post904062 if you mount the CFL lights vertical, with reflectors like http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 you probably can use lower wattage CFL bulbs and still get usable light. I have done that, but for a 10 gallon tank, and the idea works very well.

Hoppy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lightbulb

dZilla,

I can only speak from my single personal experience though I might have an inexpensive solution. I purchased a custom made light from Anylight (Seller) on eBay constructed from parts from Catalina Aquarium. I have had the lights since September 2010 and have had no problem. At the moment, I see two options for 48" T5 HO Aquarium Lights (4x54w) with 2-cords/3-cords (and switches) w/ and w/o moonlights up for auction with buy-it now prices of $124.99 & $148.99. As I had a bit of customization done and I see 3-light 36" units, I might trying to contact them to have them build a motified light (as I did)... in your case, you might ask them for a 3-light unit rather than 4-light unit with or without moonlights as might be your want.

As I cannot make a direct link to eBay, I will simply say that you can find them by searching for "T5 HO Aquarium hood 4x54W 2 Cords" or "T5 HO Aquarium hood 4x54W 3 Cords & Moonlights" where the seller is "Anylight." Oh, and as an FYI, I am not "Anylight" and I do not know them other than they are the person who built my lights. Again, I can only speak from a single personal experience though double check Positive Feedback Score (which was solid when I last checked).

In any case, I wish you the best,

~Tyger (Michael)~

~TYGER~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
dZilla,

I can only speak from my single personal experience though I might have an inexpensive solution. I purchased a custom made light from Anylight (Seller) on eBay constructed from parts from Catalina Aquarium. I have had the lights since September 2010 and have had no problem. At the moment, I see two options for 48" T5 HO Aquarium Lights (4x54w) with 2-cords/3-cords (and switches) w/ and w/o moonlights up for auction with buy-it now prices of $124.99 & $148.99. As I had a bit of customization done and I see 3-light 36" units, I might trying to contact them to have them build a motified light (as I did)... in your case, you might ask them for a 3-light unit rather than 4-light unit with or without moonlights as might be your want.

As I cannot make a direct link to eBay, I will simply say that you can find them by searching for "T5 HO Aquarium hood 4x54W 2 Cords" or "T5 HO Aquarium hood 4x54W 3 Cords & Moonlights" where the seller is "Anylight." Oh, and as an FYI, I am not "Anylight" and I do not know them other than they are the person who built my lights. Again, I can only speak from a single personal experience though double check Positive Feedback Score (which was solid when I last checked).

In any case, I wish you the best,

~Tyger (Michael)~
Or go to aquatraders.com and order the same 4x 54w T5HO for cheaper.
There is a discountcode out "afm48t5" till feb 15th
U can get the fixture for 80 -$85 like I read in an other threat.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...7-odyssea.html

I have one and I love it!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I just went to homedepot, and they had 4' shoplights (2 light fixtures) for 16.99

Wondering if I bought two of those, and made a canopy around that. They also had 32W T8 48" daylight lights (6500K) for 8.98.....

Is that something feasible to do? or am I looking at saving only a few dollars and in the end it might not be worth it?

There were also CFL 42W Philips ( Philips - 42 Watt Twister Daylight - 406447 - Home Depot Canada )

I was thinking of doing 3 of those. (or again, I'm totally exploring everything here so nothing is definite) Again.... I'd rather find out here in the forums what is best before starting something and someone posts and says "did that" and it was horrible, or here's a better alternative.

Thanks for the above links, I will take a look and see what I can convince my warden (the wife lol) to allow me to buy.

I just think buying each piece slowly lets my wife ease into it rather then buying it all at once ha ha.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
Or go to aquatraders.com and order the same 4x 54w T5HO for cheaper.
There is a discountcode out "afm48t5" till feb 15th
U can get the fixture for 80 -$85 like I read in an other threat.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...7-odyssea.html

I have one and I love it!
Is/will that be sufficient for my 110g (tall) tank? I plan on putting some sort of substrate down, and dosing with metricide

Plus my above questions lol
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053 might work. The size looks like it matches the tank pretty well, it has what looks like pretty good reflectors, and 6 bulbs have some chance of giving you enough light at 30 inches distance. It would be a risk, since it still might not give enough light, and you would be out almost $100. Then, I suppose you could look into overdriving the bulbs.

Hoppy
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The odyssea is the cheapest t5ho fixture on the market, its more than worth the 99 dollar or 85 with the coupon code. It will be certainly enough light for your tank.
My wife was also, its so expensive, but then you show her the real prices ($200+) and she will say, yes buy this one!! with the shop light, you will prob have a low light, with the t5ho you will have high light for the same price... I think with 3 bulbs on you will prob have med light (am I correct Hoppy?) Go for the t5ho, you will even save money on electricity! just my $.02
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks hoppy, I might go with the ones from aquatraders the odyssea ones

http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-4...le-p/52305.htm

I would hope that I would be able to get enough light out of these...

Still a lot of reading to do (PARS) for example lol...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No question, for a 30 inch high tank, T5HO or MH are by far the best options, if getting enough light is the objective, and isn't it always?

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode