3Likes
  • 2 Post By Aceman
  • 1 Post By ahud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Simple Pedestal Style Stand

Does anyone happen to have plans on a pedestal style stand? I am basically trying to create something similar to ADA, but much simpler to build. I need to knock out three of these stands of various dimensions.

Is it as simple as 2x4 for the frame, 1/4" plywood for the sides, and 1/2" plywood for the top that the tank will be sitting on? What type of plywood will most easily finish nicely to give that furniture grade look?

Here is an example of what I am aiming for off of the Green Aqua Website:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I basically used this plan to make my stand. I just doubled up the numbers because I built a bigger stand.
Kubla and swarley like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks!

What type of wood is that?

I’m not sure why, but the stands without any sort of 2x4 skeleton scare me! But that is certainly how most commercial stands are built.

Did you glue and screw everything together?

Anything I should know about finishing? Your paint looks extremely nice.

I have experience building things from wood, but not anything that required finish work.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
Thanks!

What type of wood is that?

I’m not sure why, but the stands without any sort of 2x4 skeleton scare me! But that is certainly how most commercial stands are built.

Did you glue and screw everything together?

Anything I should know about finishing? Your paint looks extremely nice.

I have experience building things from wood, but not anything that required finish work.

I used maple plywood, glued and screwed. And I used a grey stain so you could still see the nice grains of the wood
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I want simple and strong to last, so many of my stands do have a 2X4 frame but that is due to large size. If you are dealing with less than thirty gallon, I might suggest going with much simpler and "sleeker" look. Move from 1/4 inch to 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Somewhat more expensive but lots better for making the stand solid. One point is that it makes it quieter as the plywood doesn't "drum" or vibrate with any noise while 1/4 may at times.
Figuring how to put the pieces together to reduce the number of wood end cuts showing is important as they are harder to fill and sand to make them disappear but I would suggest going for glue joints as good enough if large, long clamps are on hand to hold the joint while glue sets or add a minimum number of fasteners. Finish nails are the easier choice for this as they are much easier to cover and hide. I like painted so the exact type wood is open to shopping for value pricing once you move away from the common pine/fir plywoods which have heavy grain to them. They tend to be harder to smooth out really well. Depends what you can find but I would not go really expensive like those which are valued for pretty grain but something like popular might be a good choice, since the point is to cover that grain. Not to pay for oak grain if you want to hide the grain?
If the idea of panels and glue alone is nervous, think of adding 1X2 strips inside the corners, perhaps. That gives you a far stronger corner attachment, even with glue alone as there is so much more to grip, while the panels alone only give a 1/2-3/4 grip.
Are you familiar with bar clamps which are just clamps which are slid onto pipe of the right length? They can be very handy for this. A nail gun shooting long wire nails is great, if you have other needs/uses for it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I used 3/4 plywood and only used 2 sheets. My tank is a 120x50x50.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I used 3/4 plywood and only used 2 sheets. My tank is a 120x50x50.
Wow that seems pretty affordable. Two sheets is not bad at all. You answered my next question about what thickness you used. The first tank is 120x60x45 (48"x24"x18").

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I want simple and strong to last, so many of my stands do have a 2X4 frame but that is due to large size. If you are dealing with less than thirty gallon, I might suggest going with much simpler and "sleeker" look. Move from 1/4 inch to 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Somewhat more expensive but lots better for making the stand solid. One point is that it makes it quieter as the plywood doesn't "drum" or vibrate with any noise while 1/4 may at times.
Figuring how to put the pieces together to reduce the number of wood end cuts showing is important as they are harder to fill and sand to make them disappear but I would suggest going for glue joints as good enough if large, long clamps are on hand to hold the joint while glue sets or add a minimum number of fasteners. Finish nails are the easier choice for this as they are much easier to cover and hide. I like painted so the exact type wood is open to shopping for value pricing once you move away from the common pine/fir plywoods which have heavy grain to them. They tend to be harder to smooth out really well. Depends what you can find but I would not go really expensive like those which are valued for pretty grain but something like popular might be a good choice, since the point is to cover that grain. Not to pay for oak grain if you want to hide the grain?
If the idea of panels and glue alone is nervous, think of adding 1X2 strips inside the corners, perhaps. That gives you a far stronger corner attachment, even with glue alone as there is so much more to grip, while the panels alone only give a 1/2-3/4 grip.
Are you familiar with bar clamps which are just clamps which are slid onto pipe of the right length? They can be very handy for this. A nail gun shooting long wire nails is great, if you have other needs/uses for it.

I do have plenty of clamps. I do not have an nail gun, but my dad does so I could borrow it if needed.

Noted on the wood. If I decide to paint I will price out the cheaper wood. I do really like the stain look, but I HATE staining lol.
Aceman likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
Does anyone happen to have plans on a pedestal style stand? I am basically trying to create something similar to ADA, but much simpler to build. I need to knock out three of these stands of various dimensions.

Is it as simple as 2x4 for the frame, 1/4" plywood for the sides, and 1/2" plywood for the top that the tank will be sitting on? What type of plywood will most easily finish nicely to give that furniture grade look?

Here is an example of what I am aiming for off of the Green Aqua Website:

I would definitely use 3/4” plywood for the entire case. 1/4” wouldn’t give you much strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noob. Green noob
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Aceman

Where is the middle brace in the drawing? Am I just missing it or did you add that as added support?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode