• 2 Post By dinokath
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My CO2 Reactor

Hi all,

I've seen a few discussions on CO2 reactors and decided I'd do a little photo slideshow of mine to help anyone looking for some more information. This is a Rex Griggs inspired design and with just a few tweaks, really pretty much is his design.

Here's shot of the top section. When I clean my Fluval 406, there's a sizeable pocket of air in the top plus what is in the reactor itself. When I built the Rex Griggs design, I didn't have a way of easily burping the air so I made a few modifications.

I also didn't like that I couldn't easily change out the CO2 tubing should it go bad and really didn't like the fact there wasn't a nipple. The drilled hole with tubing pulled works just fine, but for my piece of mind (and I had JUST put down a brand new wood floor when I was building this reactor) I wanted a little extra security.

My next change was adding cleanout and adding bioballs for water turbulence to help break up the CO2 and have it dissolve a little better. I can run CO2 at what seems to be 5-7 bubbles per second and not get any bubbles in the outlet in the tank

burr740 and slipfinger like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dinokath; 09-06-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 06:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thats cool I thought about doing a reactor on my 55 gallon. What is that metal bracket you use to secure it to the stand?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantsome99 View Post
Thats cool I thought about doing a reactor on my 55 gallon. What is that metal bracket you use to secure it to the stand?
The metal is called plumber's tape which gets confusing since PTFE tape and such is also called the same thing. To find it, I would search for galvanized plumber's tape

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
The metal is called plumber's tape which gets confusing since PTFE tape and such is also called the same thing. To find it, I would search for galvanized plumber's tape
Thanks for the help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantsome99 View Post
Search Home Depot for 'perforated steel duct strap'. I had some lying around and it fits the bill perfectly.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since we need to tie things in our game, I like to use plastic wire ties for this sort of thing as they don't rust and are much quicker, easier to cut and place. I like those which have the hole for screw attachments built in at the ends. At a penny each, I use lots of them!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...STCB/203531917
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Since we need to tie things in our game, I like to use plastic wire ties for this sort of thing as they don't rust and are much quicker, easier to cut and place. I like those which have the hole for screw attachments built in at the ends. At a penny each, I use lots of them!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...STCB/203531917
Those are awesome. I have found though that nearly EVERY time I use them, I wind up having to cut them off in no time flat because something broke or needed replacing or had to be moved for this or that reason. Not just on the fish tank, but almost anywhere I used them. Heh heh heh. I guess that's just how it is!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinokath View Post
Those are awesome. I have found though that nearly EVERY time I use them, I wind up having to cut them off in no time flat because something broke or needed replacing or had to be moved for this or that reason. Not just on the fish tank, but almost anywhere I used them. Heh heh heh. I guess that's just how it is!
Yes, that is certainly the way it is! Trick to the plan for me is that they are so cheap and easy that I can cut and replace a lot of them better than cutting the first strap if it is metal. One trick to get more use out of the strap is to cut it as near the closure to avoid wasting so much of it.
For my reactor I actually use a plastic strap which is not meant to hold a lot of stress but is slotted with holes for adjustment and reusable. I want to leave it loose to tip it to clear the air on filter restarts.
We all have to find the poison that fits us.
dinokath likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
We all have to find the poison that fits us.
Indeed. If there's anything I have learned with hobbies is that there is always more than one way to skin a cat and what works well for you may not for me!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode