Has anyone built a stand like this? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iím having trouble figuring out the best way to go about this. My wife agreed to a 75 gallon in the living room but the wall it will go on is way longer than 4í. It would look better if I could build a table with sides lower in elevation to maybe put some plants on or something. Has anyone seen one like this?

The tank would sit on the 49Ē dimension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím also not opposed to a 125 gallon tank but the initial cost for setting one up is much much more expensive than a 75...right?

"If there is magic on this plant, it is contained in water" -Loren Eiseley

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-26-2018 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:00 AM
Algae Grower

You could build the bottom (29" x 72"?) and then add a shelf that's 49" x 6" to put the 75g on top of. Or build the 49" x 35" section and then add the side shelves.

PetSmart usually has an Aqueon 125g tank, stand, hood and LED light combo for $700. I've seen it on sale as low as $440 (like black friday) but most of the time at around $525 every other month or so. If you buy online for in-store pickup, they give you another 5% off. You can check your local store for availability.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...ml?cgid=300207

It doesn't cost that much more than a 75g and it gives you more options for stocking. If I had the space, I would've easily gone with a 125g over my 75g. I had to throw out my tv stand and mount the tv on the wall to make room for my 75g .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

DIY Stands Template and Calculator - Reef Central Online Community

Just use larger 2x4's (orange) ...
The central unit is overbuilt but standard...

It's basically 3 boxes..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
You could build the bottom (29" x 72"?) and then add a shelf that's 49" x 6" to put the 75g on top of. Or build the 49" x 35" section and then add the side shelves.

PetSmart usually has an Aqueon 125g tank, stand, hood and LED light combo for $700. I've seen it on sale as low as $440 (like black friday) but most of the time at around $525 every other month or so. If you buy online for in-store pickup, they give you another 5% off. You can check your local store for availability.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...ml?cgid=300207

It doesn't cost that much more than a 75g and it gives you more options for stocking. If I had the space, I would've easily gone with a 125g over my 75g. I had to throw out my tv stand and mount the tv on the wall to make room for my 75g .

The wife wants me to build a stand. She doesn't like any of the stands that come in packages. And I think I'm going to do a 125.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I wanted to set a few things like the CO2 tank outside of the stand and had to figure a way to cover it as well as hide the drain pipe going out the wall. I might suggest that it will be more practical in the long run as well as easier now if you build separate items, rather than a once time use item? If your wife is into fabric and decor ( who isn't?) the side table can be really as simple as a three sided and top of really simple material just strong enough to hold whatever goes on top.
This is my solution. Not the fabric I might choose but she doesn't mess with my fish choice and I don't mess with her fabric!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand overall.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	867945  

Immortal1 likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I wanted to set a few things like the CO2 tank outside of the stand and had to figure a way to cover it as well as hide the drain pipe going out the wall. I might suggest that it will be more practical in the long run as well as easier now if you build separate items, rather than a once time use item? If your wife is into fabric and decor ( who isn't?) the side table can be really as simple as a three sided and top of really simple material just strong enough to hold whatever goes on top.

This is my solution. Not the fabric I might choose but she doesn't mess with my fish choice and I don't mess with her fabric!

That looks amazing! Why not put the co2 underneath?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Cabinet already tooo full of dishes! Part of the deal with putting the tank in the dining room and next to the table?
It takes a fair amount of thought to get that space and then there was also the problem of me wanting it easy to drain water requiring a pipe out the stand back and along the wall to the side wall. So there was no room for a cabinet to put dishes if we went with fish! The side cabinet did double duty to hide the CO2 as well as the pipe. Since she also has lots of plants which are outside until winter but not right for the greenhouse, the stand is a win for her (at least in her mind!)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Cabinet already tooo full of dishes! Part of the deal with putting the tank in the dining room and next to the table?
It takes a fair amount of thought to get that space and then there was also the problem of me wanting it easy to drain water requiring a pipe out the stand back and along the wall to the side wall. So there was no room for a cabinet to put dishes if we went with fish! The side cabinet did double duty to hide the CO2 as well as the pipe. Since she also has lots of plants which are outside until winter but not right for the greenhouse, the stand is a win for her (at least in her mind!)

What capacity is your tank?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Around 110-120? This tank has a bit of strangeness to the way it has evolved and that relates to how it came to be used with and extra stand to the side. It was a used/abused turtle tank with the top plastic brace broken, chips in the outside corner glass but the glass was clear--- and super cheap! So all that meant it had to have full cover, needed the corners hidden if it was going out front of folks, not hidden in the fish room. First thought was to build it into the wall but I was not staying in this house all that long.
So the stand had to be taller than normal to view over the dining room/ conference table and to kind of look built-in I wanted the trim and color to match the existing walls.
So I built a stand, set the tank on, added a wrap around front section and then capped it with the canopy to hide all the top ugly like lights, broken brace etc. As I was a fish only guy, I added two canisters and plumbing pipe which pretty much ate up space when it was used for dish storage and then later I wanted to add CO2. Rather than rework the early stuff, adding the tank outside was much easier.
Built to be taken apart in three sections, plus tank as I was planning to move. But this has turned out to be a place I like and have been here nine years!!

If a person wanted to get down to the really quick "down and dirty" he could use some of the round fiber tubes like used for pouring concrete columns. Notch for whatever tubing, pipe, etc. needed, a small plywood top, and throw some fabric over it ? Minimum time, effort as well as very space efficient?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-30-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode