• 2 Post By MCFC
  • 1 Post By Bikeguy
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY inline heater + C02 reactor

I was looking at "the Plant Guy"s video on YouTube (I'll try to leave the link here) https://youtu.be/0cpFbHyioDA
about his DIY C02 reactor. It looks and operates nearly exactly like my DIY inline heater. Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't run my C02 through the inline heater apparatus in the same manner?

My apologies, I see now this probably should have been in the DIY section.

Dangit!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-25-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:15 AM
Algae Grower

Are you asking if you should run both inline with each other or combine them into one DIY unit?

James

James Sharp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:15 AM
Planted Member

decrease the chamber space > increase flow
more co2 gas might push out the reactor before dissolved

Joe [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would be using the chamber in line with a canister filter. I'm thinking I could plumb in the C02 (pressurized tank) close to the top exactly like the video. The chamber is 16" long. I think that shoud give it enough room shouldn't it?

Dangit!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Botia dude and PlantedRich like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oooohhhh, that's interesting. Thanks for the pics. Great looking tank by the way. Yours?
MCFC likes this.

Dangit!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the idea that MCFC has on a way to combine the two and not lose twice as much flow. If we use two different sets of fittings we run the risk of losing lots more flow. Look at a fitting that goes inside a tube and compare the inside diameters of the fitting with the tube and you see why.
I do lots of PVC plumbing, both inside and outside in wet and do have one thought. I do not use purple primer on most occasions! It does soften the PVC and does make for a better joint but most of the time we don't need it and it does add to both the effort and downgrades the appearance.
When I do use primer is if I have old PVC that has degraded a bit and has a layer of "corrosion" or if I am working in a hole where water is shooting out and everything is cold and wet. Difficult conditions or high pressure, use all the tools but that is not true for many of our tank uses.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
Oooohhhh, that's interesting. Thanks for the pics. Great looking tank by the way. Yours?
If it's the tank in my Signature or my Flikr page then yup, that pile of plants is mine . Thanks for saying you like it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I do not use purple primer on most occasions! It does soften the PVC and does make for a better joint but most of the time we don't need it and it does add to both the effort and downgrades the appearance.
How do you know I used purple primer?

The only thing I would add is that I once put together a regular Grigg's reactor (no inline heater) where I used the purple primer but forgot to use any of the actual bonding stuff (I think it's called cement?). I ended up with a small leak in one of the joints and just ended up trashing the whole thing.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
If it's the tank in my Signature or my Flikr page then yup, that pile of plants is mine . Thanks for saying you like it!!

How do you know I used purple primer?

The only thing I would add is that I once put together a regular Grigg's reactor (no inline heater) where I used the purple primer but forgot to use any of the actual bonding stuff (I think it's called cement?). I ended up with a small leak in one of the joints and just ended up trashing the whole thing.
Yes, we do need to figure which and when! And I admit to having done so much PVC that learning when to cut a few corners is a good plan. Doing a community water system where you may have 500-600 joints, learning to save even a single step like opening and swabbing purple, is worth the time. But that is also going to come back to bite us if we skip the primer on stuff that needs it! I find the primer is good for old corroded pipe or anything "suspect" but if I have new fittings that are dry and clean, the solvent alone is plenty IF the rest of the prep is done. Prep is important as it does get the sandpaper out to remove the slick outer layer and let the fittings go together fully. I normally cut with a power saw that leaves the end square, sand to remove the burrs and slick, and then if the pipe is small like we use in tank work, the solvent is good enough but if it is a 3" or above and may be buried, I don't cut any corners. I use cleaner, primer, and solvent because dragging a backhoe out to dig up mistakes is not good!
MCFC likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:59 AM

Do you ever have a problem with an air bubble forming in the top of the reactor?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victaire View Post
Do you ever have a problem with an air bubble forming in the top of the reactor?
Any CO2 bubble at the top would dissolve into the water.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

How is this working? I was thinking about making something like this but I was worried how useful the heater would be. @MCFC

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by UcfKnighter; 01-23-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode