Did You Ground Your Heatsink? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did You Ground Your Heatsink?

For all you LED DIYers did you ground your heatsink to earth ground? Will grounding it interfere with the circuit in any way?

Thanks,
Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
the heatsink has nothing to do with the circuit so it won't interfere or help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I grounded the heatsink, and the negative lead from the power supply for the LEDs. That guarantees that the maximum voltage on the LED circuit is, in my case, about 50 volts, and it makes the heatsink safe to touch, always at zero volts above ground. It doesn't interfere with the LEDs at all.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

always ground all exposed metal parts on any DIY electrical/electronic equipment... probably means you wont die if you screw something up... as far as the circuit goes if you have built it well it wont interfere with anything... if you have screwed it up and earthed the fixture with a GFCI installed at worst it will pop the circuit breaker, and everyone lives and your house doesnt burn down.

If you dont know what you are doing dont do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I grounded the heatsink, and the negative lead from the power supply for the LEDs. That guarantees that the maximum voltage on the LED circuit is, in my case, about 50 volts, and it makes the heatsink safe to touch, always at zero volts above ground. It doesn't interfere with the LEDs at all.

Hoppy,

It makes sense to me to ground the heatsink to the AC ground in the house but I wonder if it would be better to let the DC voltage float. My thinking is this, if neither the pos nor neg it tied to ground then to get shocked from the DC circuit you would have to touch both sides at the same time. With the voltage floating, in theory, you could touch one point anywhere in the DC circuit and not get shocked.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Roger
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcrawford View Post
Hoppy,

It makes sense to me to ground the heatsink to the AC ground in the house but I wonder if it would be better to let the DC voltage float. My thinking is this, if neither the pos nor neg it tied to ground then to get shocked from the DC circuit you would have to touch both sides at the same time. With the voltage floating, in theory, you could touch one point anywhere in the DC circuit and not get shocked.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Roger
I spent some time agonizing over this when I made my first LED light, then persuaded myself that I prefer to know that the voltage on my LEDs can never go above the max DC voltage the driver circuit delivers. I suspect it makes no difference, and the circuit diagrams included in the PDF for Cree LEDs doesn't show a ground, so I know it will work without it.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Algae Grower

nope, no ground needed or required on my build.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode