Need advice on bulkhead use and placement in 57g rimless - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Need advice on bulkhead use and placement in 57g rimless

Hi all--

(I posted this in tank journals but got no responses. I'm hoping that posting here will have better results).

I've been looking for an Oceanic Illuminata for some time, and finally found one, but it's the non-drilled variety. I'm wondering if I can drill the back glass near the bottom and plumb the tank that way. See the attached pictures.

I don't plan to paint the tank black, so I guess my questions are
(1) is this going to ruin the look of an otherwise pretty tank,
(2) how close to the bottom edge of the back glass can I drill (1/2" bulkheads, 1 1/8" holes)
(3) would 4 half-inch bulkheads be enough to accomodate filtering and water movement needs? I'll probably run an eheim 2217, and use one or two for inflows and two with loc-line for outflows.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead placement from back.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	27438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead placement.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	27439  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
First of all, make sure your aquarium isn't made with tempered glass. Often, contacting the manufacturer and hopefully getting correct info is the only way to find out (unless there's a sticker on the bottom).

Second, I don't think this will ruin the looks, on the contrary, not having pipes/hoses/tubes going over the rim will make for a very pretty tank.

Not sure how close you can drill to the edge. Keep in mind though that you need to prevent substrate from getting into the filter, so don't place them TOO low. Alternatively, you can drill through the bottom and extend the tubes through the substrate. But see first paragraph.

1/2" could work, especially if the filters you plan to use are not going to have more than 1/2" diameter hoses. However, to future-proof this you might as well go for 3/4", and use a reducer to connect smaller ID tubing. For example, the CFS500 filter which has recently gotten some publicity because of it's low price, has 1" hose diameter. Just something to consider. On the other hand, if you plan on using only one filter and split in and outflow 1/2 would be plenty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

tempered...

The bottom is clearly tempered. It says so in etching right on the glass. I've seen other threads where people have drilled the back of these tanks without problems. Oceanic doesn't seem to have made these for very long, so I'm pretty sure that I'm ok.

I hear you on the future proofing, but those 3/4" bulkheads look giant compared to the 1/2" ones. Which of course is your point....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Yeah so the bottom is out...

When you say "giant" keep in mind you are drilling a 1 1/8 hole to fit the 1/2" bulkhead, and you would have to drill a 1 3/8 hole which is - yes - just 1/4" larger. Really small, small difference.

Since you mention the 2217... it has a 16mm inlet hose diameter, which is 5/8", which would make your 1/2" bulkheads already questionable. Unless, like you mentioned, you will split/splice two into one.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

you're probably right

...okay, I'm convinced. If I DO drill it (and I'm not sure about that yet--the drilling doesn't scare me but I worry that four big black circles on the back glass will) then I'll do the bigger bulkheads. I have a nice stash of 1/2" locline that I'll have to get reducers for or something.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've had the same tank sitting on the stand now for two months. I considered doing the same thing. I'm curious to see what you do!

Matt

My South

6g Eclipse
-CRS & RCS
Sunsun Pimp # 43

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-The Late, Great Colonel Sanders-
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Let's flip a coin.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns26 View Post
Let's flip a coin.
LOL! You only break one of these before you pay someone else to do it.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Eh, I'm not worried about breaking it. Then I'm out $150, which is what I paid for this thing used. Bad but not a disaster in the grand scheme of things.

I'm more worried about it working and the result looking ugly. Then I'm stuck with it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode