Spray bar - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Never made my own spray bar before. I'm looking for someone to make the hole calculations for me.

20" spray bar
1,000gph
1 and a 1/2" pvc
Positioned vertically
Medium pressure across 5 foot tank

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by Tyrant46290; 08-06-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not into the science/math of figuring this but I might throw in some thought to get the discussion going.
First thought might be to question the PVC size? Did you mean one and one half inch or is that meaning a single 1/2 inch. A spray bar 1 1/2 inch seems way big but you may have that in mind. Just a basic point to clear.
I admit to doing it by just starting with a few small diameter holes and doing and eyeball check to see how it works out. Part of the decision on how many and how large will depend on the pressure from the pump. Our pumps usually don't give us much pressure but a difference from 3 PSI to 10 PSI will make a major difference in the math.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
what are you trying to achieve? Meaning, are you looking for a precise amount of flow or are you looking at hitting a flow that looks like it works for your tank?

I think the best option is to start with a few holes and turn the system on, if it looks like its good enough, first time's a charm! If not, either increase the number of holes, or increase the diameter of the existing holes. Keep iteratively testing until you're happy.

Might also consider drilling some holes angled upwards to increase surface agitation.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

There is a math problem involved in making it. I don't know it. The pipe is 1.5 inches in diameter. My pump puts out 1100 gph. I want the spray bar to allow it to have a small back pressure to hot across the tank but the amount of pressure doesn't really matter. The flow just needs to be able to reach across 5 feet of tank. As for trial and error, id like to avoid that because it's a big tank and with its setup isn't able to really be moved. The pvc is pre bent in a U shape to go over the tank and down half way making it hard to just remove, change and put back.

It's an 820 gallon tank if that makes any difference. But I only need to it go across 5 feet of space. The other end of the tank is well taken care of with a 125 gallon sump and 3200 gph pump. I'm just putting this here to move around a little bit more water in a specific area.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
If you make the mimic the spray bars now, then, you need to an existing, small-scale spray-bar and in ways do a (similar triangle) superimposed version of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So make a mini.....hmmmm.....i could probably do that. Take some math but it's a lot easier math.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think doing the math for the first question is not going to work without knowing the PSI. Kind of like wanting to solve a prob without all the info. Then we can maybe say how far it shoots out in open air but not how far under water as it is far different. Throw in that some of the water will be deflected/changed by any plants or other current and it gets into not being worth the work to figure?
Question, perhaps? Is the U over the tank wall to be glued or is it bent? If glued, would it work to just press fit the drilled part, so that trial and error might work? Using a silicone joint would add some to this thought. Our pumps often have such small pressure that a press fit will hold long enough to do a test run. Just a thought for when I might want to do it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's bent. It's all one piece. I just have to drill the holes.

No idea on psi. It's 1100 gph at 5 feet including head loss, with a 1 inch hose going to a 1.5 inch spray bar.....idk how to calculate psi with that info.....

Last edited by Tyrant46290; 08-09-2018 at 07:40 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tyrant, a couple additional questions for you.

Are you using a pump or a canister filter to supply the spray bar? If a pump, can you post the brand, model and the outlet pipe size?

A one piece spray bar that is bent as you describe will be a nightmare to service in the future. You could always use a slip coupler inside the tank to allow easy disassembly of the parts for future cleaning and for the current tweaking of the actual spray bar section for easy modification.

The portions of the PVC that will be inside the aquarium do not need to be glued, siliconed or permanently attached to each other because if they 'pop' apart, all the water will still go into the tank.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The pump is a 1300 gph jebao ebp. With the head loss it will put out 1100 gph at the top of my tank. It is a 1 inch output with a 1 inch hose. I don't plan to ever have to do any servicing to the input. It's a solid 1 piece pvc that bend over the tank and flares out to 1.5 inches just under the lip of the tank and the bottom is solid. Like a cap but not removable. It would be a very long time before it needed servicing and at that point I would just replace it.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tyrant, thanks for the info.

OK, we've been doing a lot of math here at home to hopefully come up with an answer for you re: spray bar hole requirements.

Based on your 1100 GPH and the 20" long 1.5" diam. spray bar SCH 40 piping, you should need 15 holes that are 5/32" in diameter spaced 1" apart.

This is just a rough guesstimate. You may have to increase a couple of the holes to 3/16" at the furthest end of the spray bar away from the pump to get an even flow.

When we built a 70" long spraybar for our tank, we had to vary the hole diameters along the length to get similar flow along the length.
Immortal1 likes this.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Tyrant, thanks for the info.

OK, we've been doing a lot of math here at home to hopefully come up with an answer for you re: spray bar hole requirements.

Based on your 1100 GPH and the 20" long 1.5" diam. spray bar SCH 40 piping, you should need 15 holes that are 5/32" in diameter spaced 1" apart.

This is just a rough guesstimate. You may have to increase a couple of the holes to 3/16" at the furthest end of the spray bar away from the pump to get an even flow.

When we built a 70" long spraybar for our tank, we had to vary the hole diameters along the length to get similar flow along the length.
Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

You are welcome!!

Another thing I suggest is to be careful drilling a hole too close to the water surface in the event a slight clog in the spraybar could clog that hole and misdirect the spray upward and out of the aquarium. Even drilling the top hole at an angle facing down into the tank would be helpful.

If you haven't started drilling this spraybar yet and the bent PVC outlet isn't installed yet AND you have a bathtub with waterproof walls and shower curtain , what you could do is drill the holes at 1/8", fill the tub with water, attach the pump/hose/spraybar and plug it in to check the distance the water shoots out of the spraybar. This would be something I would try myself, especially if I HAD to have that 5 foot travel for the spray. I would also use 2 people to try this test so someone can unplug the pump while the other is holding the spraybar at the final installation height; two sets of hands is better than one.

If you find the 1/8" holes are too small, you could slowly increase the hole sizes in increments until you are satisfied. The water velocity from the spraybar will be slower underwater than it is in the air since it has to push against the tank water.

The computations I used for determining the 5/32" diameter holes doesn't account for being underwater plus you are using the spray bar vertically and not the usual horizontal position closer to the water surface.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any update on the project, Tyrant?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Any update on the project, Tyrant?
No sorry. Haven't been on here a couple days. A friend was in an accident and is in a coma. I'll update when I get it going.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode