Waterpump problems in diy canister filter. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Waterpump problems in diy canister filter.

So I made a canister filtet out of a 5 gallon bucket and whole bunch of other attachements. But when I turn on the pump it starts to work properly but then starts to make this weird nose I think there are bubbles in the system but I'm not sure I don't now how to get rid of it either. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi Raj and Welcome to the forum!!

Can you provide more details on how you have the bucket filter set up including where the pump is located, what type of media you have, what brand/model pump, etc.

A couple pics would be helpful but you may have to make a couple more posts before you can post pics.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi sorry for the long wait. But I have figured out the problem just don't know how to fix it. The problem is that the water in the canister filter itself doesn't stay in the filter and ends up just flowing back into the tank. Then the pump doesn't get enough water and starts making that noise. The pump I am using is an eco plus 1056.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

No problem.

That eco plus 1056 pump is listed at 1056 GPH so it is quite a bit of water that it moves. One option is to install a ball valve on the pump output hose so that you can slow down how much water it pumps back into the tank.

What size hose/fittings are on the intake side of the bucket filter from the tank to the bucket?

What are you using for media in the filter?

What other attachments do you have on the filter, either into the filter or out of the filter?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry again for the long wait but starting from the input to the output the parts are pvc street elbows that go over the edge and the PVC goes into the tank as the input then a hose fitting attaches to the female adapter, there is a hose on that with a hose clamp on it, then the hose (Wich is vynl) then goes into a ball valve (the vynl hose didn't fit into the ball valve at first so I rapped plumbing tape around it until I could barley it side the ball valve, the ball valve is connected to a union, the union is then connected to the 1" uniseal which goes into the bucket. The media for the bucket is 100 percent pollyester filling, lava rock and then 1/2 mesh wire so the bottom uniseal doesn't get clogged.( In that order) from the bottom 1" uniseal goes (in this order) uniseal, ball valve and then hose that goes to the pump. The out put of the pump goes hosing (dont know the id or od) then that goes to a female connecter that then goes to street elbows that go over the edge of the tank the water goes out of that(obviously). I just read this over and it doesn't make sense (sometimes) The bucket filter is the same build as the XL canister filter build The King Of DIY did, and the output and input are by Aquapros.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes it is a bit confusing but I looked at the King of DIY's video for a basic understanding of what I think you built.

It would still be helpful if you post a couple pics of YOUR build though AND included the size of PVC pipe, ball valves and fittings that you used.

What thing I think you will have a problem with is that you inserted the vinyl hose INTO the ball valve. If this is correct, there is a real possibility that the hose will pop out of the ball valve since this isn't the proper way to make a connection. Normally a threaded ball valve is used as well as a threaded barb fitting that the vinyl hose is attached to.

Back to your original problem of the bucket filter emptying of water and starving the pump. Either the pump is too powerful and sucks all the water out of the bucket which will require you to slightly close the ball valve on the output side of the pump OR the supply TO the filter is undersized OR you are drawing air into the filter from the tank because the filter input connections aren't always full of water.

Sorry I haven't been more help to you, I have a difficult time visualizing a description and do better with pictures or videos.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode