RPiAqua (Raspberry Pi Light Controller - In Progress) - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiede View Post
Latest Release (Mar 25, 2020): 1.1.1 (Link)

A Couple Important Maintainence Things
  • Binary Packages Are Back
  • Update to Swift 5.1.5 - Security Update

Starting with 1.1.1, Debian packages are back. These will install and run on a clean Raspberry Pi. I've started using Apple's trick so that the Swift libraries I need get bundled with the service. Now it just depends on some bog-standard Raspbian libraries. And yes, it's possible to install these packages on top of a source-built copy and they will still work.

The benefits here are: No having to build from source unless you want to. Easier updates (just install the new package, your configuration will be preserved). And much faster to setup. Also, Swift now being bundled means I can focus on just supporting one version of Swift, and Swift patches will get rolled out to everyone.

YEA!!.. I guess..
Glad to see you are still moving ahead..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

RPiAqua (Raspberry Pi Light Controller - In Progress)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
YEA!!.. I guess..
Glad to see you are still moving ahead..

As long as I keep using it for my tanks, Iíll at least maintain it.

I hope that by going to binaries, I can be a little more free to make more drastic changes. Easier testing and all that.

Iím still (slowly) playing with MQTT libraries at the moment. Once Iíve settled on one it should be quick to add the remote control functionality. I am also trying to figure out where I put my 7425 boards so I can see if I can control Kessil lights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #123 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

I'm doing a bit of work with a Raspberry Pi 4B (4GB version) running Raspbian Buster and Node-RED (against node.js ver 12).

Interfacing to the Atlas-Scientific EZO circuits over I2C for Temp (RTD), Flow (FLO) and pH (pH). Stuggling with some aspects of the generic i2c node available for Node-RED, like multi-byte commands, but I'll get there. For the time being, I can't ZERO the flow totalizer (so, I have a giant amount of liters gathered in it now), but the instantaneous l/min reading is working fine. I have two versions of this project going... A very basic one that will just be temp,pH and uses a Hat w/ built-in Relays triggered by the PI4's GPIO. And then a more ambitious one that uses many more input sensors over i2c, and a mess of I2C expansion boards for control and other inputs: (23008 Relay Board, 23008 Dig Input Board, PCA9685 PWM for Lighting and Wave Pump Control, PCF8591 A/D for Ultrasonic Level in the Water Prep).

If you know Node-RED, I posted the Flow here in a thread where a User was struggling with NodeRed and EZO I2C Sensors...
(you'll have to look under contributions from ODwyerPW in the thread for my stuff).

https://discourse.nodered.org/t/pull...e-red/19210/10

Anyway, I really like all the suggestions you are giving on hardware with the PI! Thanks for doing this thread!

Peter
learning never stops...

post #124 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Planted Member

I apologize if I missed it, but what is a good starting point or reference to look at for connecting this up to a Twinstar light? I currently have an in-line dimmer, but I've noticed that it sometimes changes settings. I'd also like to implement a ramp, but that's not possible with the Twinstar in-line dimmer.

My Tank Journal:
post #125 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I apologize if I missed it, but what is a good starting point or reference to look at for connecting this up to a Twinstar light? I currently have an in-line dimmer, but I've noticed that it sometimes changes settings. I'd also like to implement a ramp, but that's not possible with the Twinstar in-line dimmer.

A tc-420 or 421 is probably the same cost if starting from scratch w/ the pi..
https://www.tc420.net/

If not, all you need, basically is a digital high power mosfet switch circuit on the pi pwm output.
starlight: Dimming a 12V LED strip with a mosfet and PWM
AcidGambit likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"
post #126 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGambit View Post
I should probably do a complete write up on my build at some point I guess, but hereís the rundown.
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Mosfet Trigger Switch
  • Barrel Plugs

The trigger switches I used are along the lines of these:
https://www.amazon.com/High-Power-Tr.../dp/B07WTN72HF

These also look like they might work, but I havenít used them. Their rating is a bit lower, so Iíd prefer to use the above version when talking about the 900 or 1200 Twinstars, just so you arenít pushing the limits of the specs.
https://www.amazon.com/Onyehn-Mosfet.../dp/B07GLNCRR4

The barrel plugs need to match the Twinstarís plugs, but they are fairly common: 2.5mm ID x 5.5mm OD DC power plugs. Just be careful of power rating on the cables if you plan on cutting and splicing an extension cable for this, since Iím seeing a couple cables available rated for 3A, but the higher end Twinstars are 4-5A. I used eBay to source some connectors for my build.

Just make sure the cables are *not* 2.1mm ID. Those are also common, and wonít fit.

My build using a Pi Zero looked like this: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...l#post11106489

Plug it between the Twinstarís power supply and the LED fixture, and then configure RPiLight and start the service. Iíve been running my 900E this way for well over a year now. I do get some coil whine from the Twinstarís power supply because of the PWM though, but not much that can be done about that.
AcidGambit likes this.

post #127 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

Thank you!

My Tank Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode