invisible overflow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
invisible overflow

I recently bought a 75g tank that is drilled in the bottom right corner. I was kind of dreading putting in a big ugly overflow box, I always thought they were ugly. So Ive been trying to think of ways to make something that is minimally invasive and not too hard to do. I came up with this idea today and I feel like I havent seen it anywhere before and wonder why?

The only potential problem I can thing of is the weight of the water in that tall up tube torquing on the bulkhead or something, but that shouldnt be hard to fix be securing the pipe and maybe even putting in a hose there to relieve some pressure on that joint.

The bulkhead will have one of those slim strainers over the top of it, and the pipe goes up to the top of the frame to set the water level, then turns down and goes to the sump. I probably will have to put a cap with a small hole over the top T piece to reduce noise.

It kind of reminds me of those pvc overflows people make all the time except without the part that holds the siphon.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/ideas about this design?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	invisible overflow-01.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	865547  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

I've never used this style. But looking at that diagram I foresee very little water flow. Reason why is because the horizontal part is level with the tanks water level. So the water would only trickle over and drop into your sump. I would lower that horizontal piece a couple of inches below the tanks water level. I would then extend the open top up a couple inches over the tanks water level.
Also, id add a T right at the drill hole having 1 go up and 1 go down. The one going down to a ball shut off turn valve. Would make water changes pretty easy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant46290 View Post
I've never used this style. But looking at that diagram I foresee very little water flow. Reason why is because the horizontal part is level with the tanks water level. So the water would only trickle over and drop into your sump. I would lower that horizontal piece a couple of inches below the tanks water level. I would then extend the open top up a couple inches over the tanks water level.
Also, id add a T right at the drill hole having 1 go up and 1 go down. The one going down to a ball shut off turn valve. Would make water changes pretty easy.
I like your idea of adding a valve on the bottom for water changes.

The reason I put the horizontal part up so high was to set the water level for the tank. If it is too low then either the water level will be too low or there will be a lot of water draining out of the tank when the pump stops.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:11 AM
Planted Member

You're right. I was thinking a traditional overflow with a weir, you are correct on placement.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

Besides flow rate, it doesn't serve the same purpose as an overflow. An overflow is meant to take the top layer of filth out of the water column. It does this by allowing the water to overflow into a separate section. From here the water is sucked out at a reasonable rate because it is below the water level. Also, the water level in the overflow section is higher than the pipe to allow full pipe diameter water flow. Water will flow back in at the same rate it is taken out. Because of this, it has its own siphon break.

The only way that I can see to get a good flow rate out of that setup is to plug the siphon break and connect it to a sealed filter to prevent overflow. If you don't want to see the overflow, there are other options. They make overflow guards that go from the top to bottom of the tank to hides the pipes. If you have a colored or design background, you can create or buy an overflow box and have it match the background. If you do that and put it in the corner, it will be practically invisible.

Another option would be to make the siphon break tube a little taller and putting a bubbler in the tube. This would help to increase the amount of water that flows over to the other side. It will also oxygenate the water while allowing a place for the air to escape to prevent a constant siphon break. This is the same concept used in "automatic/self-priming" overflow boxes that hang over the side.

Tags
clean, diy, invisible, overflow, slim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode