Petrified wood..I think? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrazyFishLady1201

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey guys, Iím a long time reader but its my first post here.

So I found this great piece of what I though was rock but now I suspect it might be petrified wood.

I collected it from the lake so I did a bleach soak for about 30 minutes and then rinsed it water (also the piece has been dry for about a year in my garage). Next I did a test with muriatic acid whicha made no reaction (no fizzing or bubbling), so I put the piece in a bucket with prime and water.

A few hours later I went to check it and the water has turned a yellowish tea color. Can anyone tell me why and if there is a way to make it safe for aquarium use?

Sorry for the long post and thank you!

Hereís a few pictures of it. The water smells funny and looks like piss :s it also has some tiny specs floating in it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70148F3C-79E0-4EDE-95DE-C253E4C16D96_1532143555225.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	865497  

Name:	BDD276C4-585C-4269-8087-08005C4B7EB2_1532143594592.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	865499  

Name:	2CC32228-5556-4FC3-87B2-33B76F3C48BB_1532143628429.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	865501  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-21-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you sure it's rock and not wood? Give it a good scrub and put it in clean water. If the water changes colour/smell again then whatever it is, it isn't inert.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like it has lots of crevices. Depending on how fragile it is, maybe try to power wash it, then see if it still discolors the water. As far as wood or rock Iím not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Algae Grower

I think its wood. If you look closely at the first picture at about 3 oclock, you will see a perfect square protruding. Can't imagine how that could've occured with rock. Also, if it was rock, it would be quite heavy.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The OP isn't questioning whether it's wood or rock. He's questioning whether it's petrified wood, a type of rock. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between wood or rock in person unless it's some unusually hard wood or soft rock.
There's no shape that can happen with wood that can't happen with petrified wood. There's even petrified wood with bark.

I'd try washing and soaking some more.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
The OP isn't questioning whether it's wood or rock. He's questioning whether it's petrified wood, a type of rock. It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between wood or rock in person unless it's some unusually hard wood or soft rock.
There's no shape that can happen with wood that can't happen with petrified wood. There's even petrified wood with bark.

I'd try washing and soaking some more.
Point taken regarding petrified wood instead of wood. But my conclusion is still the same: the perfect square protrusion is very unlikely to have been made out of stone, so I would guess this is petrified rock.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Are you sure it's rock and not wood? Give it a good scrub and put it in clean water. If the water changes colour/smell again then whatever it is, it isn't inert.

Iím not certain if its PETRIFIED wood (wood that has become rock over a long period of time) or just a regular rock.

I'm pretty certien it isnít regular wood since its rock hard, sharp and very heavy.

Still I left it in a chlorine soak over night and it didnít turn the water yellow. Now itís in dechlor to see if it leeches again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharvinRapspellenborger View Post
I think its wood. If you look closely at the first picture at about 3 oclock, you will see a perfect square protruding. Can't imagine how that could've occured with rock. Also, if it was rock, it would be quite heavy.
It is veeery heavy, and rock hard. I found this online

ďPetrified wood is the name given to a special type of fossilized remains of terrestrial vegetation. It is the result of a tree or tree-like plants having completely transitioned to stone by the process of per mineralizationĒ

Its shaped like a log, it has what seems to be growth rings and everything but its definetly not wood which is why i thought it would be innert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Dirte View Post
Looks like it has lots of crevices. Depending on how fragile it is, maybe try to power wash it, then see if it still discolors the water. As far as wood or rock Iím not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a great idea! I think my dad has a power washer so Iíll ask him to help me out with this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Could it have dead things in it? Its definetly not living/driftwood

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-22-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did you try poking it with a sharp object such as a knife, screwdriver, etc.?

The squarish shape almost reminds me of a pier post that may have been used to support a dock or boat mooring.

What lake did you get it out of? The reason I ask is that wood that has been submerged for years in extremely cold lakes or ones with low oxygen take on the appearance of rock due to low microbial activity.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Did you try poking it with a sharp object such as a knife, screwdriver, etc.?

The squarish shape almost reminds me of a pier post that may have been used to support a dock or boat mooring.

What lake did you get it out of? The reason I ask is that wood that has been submerged for years in extremely cold lakes or ones with low oxygen take on the appearance of rock due to low microbial activity.

I live in Panama, in central america, It came out of the Gatun lake, its the lake that feeds the Panama Canal.

I don’t believe this is the case since we don’t have cold weather and the lake doesn’t have low oxigen conditions. It does have a whole forest submerged under it since its an artificial lake created about a hundred years ago and other pieces of petrified wood have been found in it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds a good plan, if it doesn't do it again it may have been something on it rather than the rock. The 'vinegar test' is another one to do or leave it soaking for a week and check the TDS of the water before/after and see if it goes up.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Point taken regarding petri

Quote:
fied wood instead of wood. But my conclusion is still the same: the perfect square protrusion is very unlikely to have been made out of stone, so I would guess this is petrified rock.
I have seen yosemite granet with square nodules all over the surface. At the bottom of the grand canyon I have seen sedimentary rock (not petrified wood) that cracked into square blocks. There are a lot of minerals that naturally form square shapes.

Generally if you hit a rock with a hammer it cracks or breaks. If you hit very old wood (that may look like rock it will dent. IF the wood is fully petrified it is rock and will break. Wood can have different levels of petrification. Some may just wood (hydrocarbons) with a lot salt minerals present. IN very old petrified wood all the wood hydrocarbons have rotted and or been burned away by heat leaving only minerals.

Either way if it changes the color of the water it is leaching something into the water and it may not be safe to add to the tank.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

I used to collect crystals and rocks - yes there are straight lines in nature even squares in rock formations.

Petrified wood as you may know is the displacement of the original "mold form" (wood in this case) with minerals - most crystalized quarts but it can mean any type and most are a composite. This happens in different ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrifaction

Ores and Irons, chromium, mercury, arsenic and many more (iron ore which is very common and can range from a darker brown to bright red orange) can be found in petrified wood and as with any rock one uses with fish these minerals can range from safe to toxic (over time even if it did not leach something obvious as it is now). PS. Bleach can be neutralized with vinegar but if you boil a rock it will kill any pathogens. Heavy metal poisoning can be rapid or a slow chronic death.

I took geology classes a long long time again but much is now online.

There can be copper, chromium and other heavy metals - we all need x amount (very very tiny micro amounts and from natural sources - as do fish) but unless you can test the water for specifics (see the test kit at the link below) you would need a RO filter to make sure it is if it does leach these toxic heavy metals. Here is a link from Dr. Fosters and Smith.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/a...?articleid=659

Another link on sources of heavy metals in aquarium water.

https://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Metal_poisoning

"Metal ore in the rocks you've added to the tank."

Power washing won't get rid of any leaching of toxic minerals. (note coal in the following link)

https://www.mindat.org/min-8018.html

A decorative type of fossil wood where the original organic material has been replaced - usually by chalcedony or agate (cryptocrystalline quartz), but sometimes by opal, coal, pyrite, calcite and others.

Colors red and green are usually caused by iron, but a few of the more brightly colored green woods may be colored by chromium.

Here is a post from another Aquarium forum (from a long list I used to have).

It depends on what the replacement rock is. If it's limestone, yes it will change the pH of the water--it'll make it more basic. If it's agate, it won't.

Try submerging it in vinegar and see if it effervesces (produces bubbles). If it does, it's likely limestone or carbonate-bearing, and will change the pH (it'll make the water more basic). In that case, I don't advise putting it in a tank with your fish, freshwater or salt.

Whether it's carbonate-bearing or not, you should rinse the piece in clean water after the vinegar test.

Agate, jasper, or quartz varieties (crystalline or chalcedony, for instance) are probably safe enough, although as with anything else you want to introduce to your tank you should immerse the rock in clean water for a few days or a week first to remove soluble contaminants. If the water after a few days is visibly discolored or has an odor, soak it again until the end bath is clean.

The main concern I'd have would be whether it contains toxic compounds. Some minerals contain mercury or arsenic, for example. While all of the petrified wood I've seen in person has been some form of agate, jasper, or quartz, there are other minerals such as hematite that can form replacement fossils. Sandstone is porous and could include toxic compounds. You really want to be sure of what you're putting into the tank before exposing your fish.

For me - too many "ifs" to risk it.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-28-2018 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Rocks seem so common and easy but they are actually pretty complex when we begin to think about them. They come in all kinds of shapes and certainly flat or square are easy enough to find if we think of how rocks split when frozen and crack or rocks that are just turning solid again after melting and they suddenly get hit with water. Lots of us have the old story about dropping a hot flintrock into water to make it "explode"!
But there are just as many wrong ideas around as there are correct ones. One I often see is the way limestone WILL change your water. Absolutely true---if you have soft, acidic water! But totally untrue if you have water that comes from a limestone aquifer where it is already hard and alkaline due to being exposed to limestone for millions of years!
Since actual petrified wood requires a bit of odd circumstance to evolve, while the normal sedimentary rock is common and easy to find, I might guess that your rock is a combo of several different processes. Sediment layers to make the layers, which are often thought to be tree rings, then some melting and reforming, splitting and lots of other potential experience to make a rock that looks pretty strange. Nature never stops working on rocks, so we often get weird combos when we first look.
But how that changes your use is really just something we need to deal with as there is no actually "true answer" for what it will do in each of our tanks.
I do some basic things on all decor that goes in my tanks. I sterile it all with a bleach soak as I do not want to deal with the odd "wildcard" so want it clean. Then if it is going in a tank where the water is soft/acidic with little buffering, I may test it in a bucket of water to see if I will get a quick/sudden change that might be a problem. But if I have good buffering in the water I have, I use the rock but keep in mind that I might/might not need to remove it if water parameters tend to move in the wrong direction. Tanks never stay the same so if a rock changes the water slightly over the next year, I can deal with that. If we stopped using anything that might give us trouble someday, most tanks would be empty!
Worry less, enjoy more?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys! I wanted to thank everyone for your replies and give you a little update on how things turned out!

I bleached the rock over night twice with dechlorinator soaks in between (5ml prime in 5 gallons of water) and scrubbed it with a brush twice a day; after the second soak there were no changes in the water color (it was probably just really dirty).

Besides the bleaching I tested with 10% muriatic acid with no fizzing or bubbling so it isn't carbonate bearing. Its been about a month and all fish living in the tank are doing great, no changes to my parameters or weird behavior have been noted since the addition.
deeda likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the report. And it does often get down to how much we are worried about things that we never see happen. Most rocks are things that have taken millions or billions of years to form and they are out in nature for that long as well, so my thinking is that they will generally not fall apart in my tank in ten years if they have been outside for a billion!
But then I also admit that my water runs in limestone most of the time in nature so most rocks are not going to change what is already super hard and alkaline! Limestone is my most common decor!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode