Loc-Line equivalent of Lilly pipes? Flow dilema. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Loc-Line equivalent of Lilly pipes? Flow dilema.

Is there a product or fitting that would provide the flared type nozzle of lilly pipes in a plastic version?

My filtration is run by a pump with a 3/4" outlet. Currently, I am using FX5 hose and output. I think I could get better circulation by changing out the dual output to a single output. I have an island-style aquascape. If I could get the majority of the flow going along the front of the tank then I think I will have good circular flow without blowing my stems around. It was pointed out to me that this is usually how ADA does it.

Also debating swapping out the fx5 hose as it is ribbed. I am sure that decreases flow. The pump I have is rated for 568 gph. The pump is behind the mattenfilter in the picture.

The problems I am trying to fix are:
1) Detritus accumulates in the open sand areas as that is where the lowest flow is currently
2) The flow from the dual nozzle either blows my stem plants around or fails to make it across the tank when I angle the outputs towards the surface.
3) The fx5 output is adjustable, but not enough to where I can aim both nozzles towards the areas that do not have stems.
4) I added a powerhead and my bolbitis grew much better. I want to remove the powerhead.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I am using currently:

Here is the tank (several weeks ago):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It's not Loc Line, but would something like this work?

https://www.bigalspets.com/eheim-nat...SABEgIji_D_BwE
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That would work! It says "coming soon". But that is almost exactly what I am looking for.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
That would work! It says "coming soon". But that is almost exactly what I am looking for.
Note that it says *description* coming soon. Item shows as in stock.

Looked at a wider flare? e.g.:

69547-BLK ? BLACK ? 3? Flare Nozzle ? Pack of 20 | Lockwood Products, Inc

Smaller tank/filter but I run that on one of mine to provide generally the same desired flow. Pushes a wider curtain of water from the right rear corner where the output is along that side and then around the front with still some push back to the rear left where my intake sits. I angle it off of the glass a little to keep from blasting nearer plants. Get some sway with the flow along the front but they're not getting blown over. I have it mounted about mid-depth in the tank and it moves the surface slightly as well as all the way to the bottom in an 18" deep tank.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Mike.

I suppose I could go either way.

To make the eheim lilly pipes work, would I need to source an adapter? The pump output is a 3/4". Does anybody happen to know from experience if the Eheim 16/22mm hose can be used with a 3/4" barb? The 16/22mm is 5/8". Eheim offers 1" tubing, but that lilly pipe does not appear to have a 1" adapter.

The biggest benefit to the loc line solution would be adjustability. But the flared nozzle is going to be less flow and higher velocity.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have 16/22 Eheim hose on 3/4 barbs on my UV. You just have to heat it up with boiling water, heat gun or blow dryer, etc. until it gets really soft and stretchy. It also helps to wet the inside of the hose and the outside of the barb when connecting the two.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Jeff.

After you pointed out the circular effect ADA typically goes for. I can easily see why I am having flow issues.

My only hang up is figuring out how I want to move the output to the front corner of the tank. I have a canopy on top, so I would need to drill a hole in the canopy to run the output down the side.

The only other option would be to go above the tank.

Too bad I do not have a rimless tank! Mine is in far too bad of shape to remove the canopy unfortunately. The canopy is hiding some ugly lol.

If I did a regular lily pipe. Do you think I would be restricting the pump too much? I would need to drop the tubing diameter to 5/8" and installing this: https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Outflow...ily+pipe&psc=1

The price difference is not that big versus the plastic eheim. And I had a great experience with JARDLI.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-11-2018 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

On my old 75g which had a wooden canopy I cut out a corner that was near the wall so I could use glass lily pipes. One thing to consider before you do is the thickness of the plastic rim and how wide the bend is on the lily pipe. It wasn't an issue with my 75, but I don't know how wide the rim is on a 125.

In Mot's journal he added barbs to an FX4 so he could use 5/8 tubing with lily pipes. I'm not sure how much it affected his flow, but I'm sure he would be happy to answer that question. I replaced my skimmer lily pipe that I broke with a Jardli skimmer and was surprised at the quality. I expected lightweight thin glass, but it's almost as good as my ADA pipes. I say almost only because ADA pipes cost three times as much, so how can they not be better, lol.

Link to Mot's journal:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...a-120p-26.html
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
On my old 75g which had a wooden canopy I cut out a corner that was near the wall so I could use glass lily pipes. One thing to consider before you do is the thickness of the plastic rim and how wide the bend is on the lily pipe. It wasn't an issue with my 75, but I don't know how wide the rim is on a 125.

In Mot's journal he added barbs to an FX4 so he could use 5/8 tubing with lily pipes. I'm not sure how much it affected his flow, but I'm sure he would be happy to answer that question. I replaced my skimmer lily pipe that I broke with a Jardli skimmer and was surprised at the quality. I expected lightweight thin glass, but it's almost as good as my ADA pipes. I say almost only because ADA pipes cost three times as much, so how can they not be better, lol.

Link to Mot's journal:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...a-120p-26.html

Mot used barb fittings to step down. That would be pretty straightforward.
Good point on the trim. The tank trim is about 1.25". The 17cm lily pipes from JARDLI are 1.6" in the bend, but that does not account for the little stubs of glass that the suction keeps slip over. Maybe a tight fit!

I wish there were more options for outflows. Do you know of any other options? If I could find a wide output with 3/4" ID I would be happy. I would be open to DIY as well if I could make something that looks nice. All I can find are outflows that decrease diameter to increase the velocity.

I like my JARDLI diffusers, I do not feel like I am going to break them. Not to mention they refunded me my money without any questions when I ordered a second one and it did not work properly. Within days I had a replacement that worked perfectly.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahud View Post
Mot used barb fittings to step down. That would be pretty straightforward.
Good point on the trim. The tank trim is about 1.25". The 17cm lily pipes from JARDLI are 1.6" in the bend, but that does not account for the little stubs of glass that the suction keeps slip over. Maybe a tight fit!

I wish there were more options for outflows. Do you know of any other options? If I could find a wide output with 3/4" ID I would be happy. I would be open to DIY as well if I could make something that looks nice. All I can find are outflows that decrease diameter to increase the velocity.

I like my JARDLI diffusers, I do not feel like I am going to break them. Not to mention they refunded me my money without any questions when I ordered a second one and it did not work properly. Within days I had a replacement that worked perfectly.
As far as actual lily pipes that's about it other than we used to have the occasional member pop up and offer to custom make them out of acrylic, but that hasn't happened in quite some time.

How about replacing your current nozzle with PVC? You wouldn't have the flare, but maybe make a 3/4 elbow and end it with a wider piece? It would still be more directional even if you stayed with 3/4 for the entire piece. You would still have to do a bit of cutting on your hood to move it to a front corner. Maybe a 1 inch hole saw and then pop in a grommet to neaten it up?

I don't spend much time in the DIY forum for obvious reasons, lol.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
As far as actual lily pipes that's about it other than we used to have the occasional member pop up and offer to custom make them out of acrylic, but that hasn't happened in quite some time.

How about replacing your current nozzle with PVC? You wouldn't have the flare, but maybe make a 3/4 elbow and end it with a wider piece? It would still be more directional even if you stayed with 3/4 for the entire piece. You would still have to do a bit of cutting on your hood to move it to a front corner. Maybe a 1 inch hole saw and then pop in a grommet to neaten it up?

I don't spend much time in the DIY forum for obvious reasons, lol.

That is a good idea. If I used schedule 80 PVC I could get a darker color. I have even seen where some people have used a heat gun to flare out PVC a little. I would not get the look of lily pipes, but something other than glass would probably be ideal anyway. I take the canopy off every time I do maintenance, so a mistake is bound to happen! Lily pipes are just so nice. LOL. I just love the look. Especially the extra long stainless steel lilies where you do not even see the tubing. I really can't wait to redo my setup down the road. But the old saying about putting lipstick on a pig would ring true if I went that route on my current tank lol.

I am going to notch the canopy so that I do not have to worry about removing the tubing when I take off the canopy. Should not be a big deal, drill a hole, cut the notch with a jig saw and then clean it up with sandpaper. That side faces a wall so you can't see it anyway.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could also use schedule 40 and paint it. I seem to remember reading quite a few threads where Krylon Fusion was used to paint PVC and it's non toxic after being allowed to fully dry, but I don't take that on my word alone. I would do a bit more digging, but better safe than sorry with the gray stuff?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I can never find Krylon fusion. The only Krylon I see is a different type. Bulk Reef supply has schedule 80 PVC. So I will probably order there. This weekend I am going to mock up a PVC outflow with parts I have on hand. If everything works as intended then I will order the Sch 80 parts to make things look cleaner. The debris/fish poop on the sand drives me crazy. So I HAVE to get enough flow to at least blow all of that into a corner where I can siphon it out during weekly water changes.

I have been kicking around the idea of adding a canister filter to help with mechanical filtration. But I will hold off a little longer. For all of its flaws, the matten filter is the most low maintenance filter imaginable. I really like that about it. I have not had to break open canister filters in years.

So I just wasted way too much time tinkering. But one single source of output is for sure the way to go. I have more flow in the tank even after removing a powerhead. I still need a wider flow curtain. I had to tinker or else things were still blown around. I probably have a touch too much flow going on right now, but the CO2 mist gets pulled into the current and then distributed across the whole tank. So I am on the right track! Before, most of the flow stopped mid-way through the tank.

After playing with 3/4", I do not want to downsize to 5/8.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-11-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When you have sources of flow coming in from different angles they end up nullifying each other.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I guess it makes sense.

Do you think one of these reducers could work to spread the flow out? I could go 3/4" to 1" or even 1.5" and then connect a 45 elbow to give the water something to bounce off of.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sched...9e03982a4.html

I have a 3/4" to 1" reducer that I played around with. But the water just shot straight out. I guess I would need some sort of bell to disrupt the jet of water? Hence trying a 45 degree

The flow is really strong at the bottom of the tank. I'll either have to spread it out or remove the plants I have there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode