Where to buy or diy impeller bushings - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to buy or diy impeller bushings

My HOB impellers (Penguin 200 and 370) are making noise due to worn out bushings. I don't know of any place that sells replacement bushings, do you or you have a DIY idea?​
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
We are talking the bushings on the impeller shaft? Not those on the bio-wheel? This is a place for the bio-wheel bushings but the impeller seems to come as a kit.
https://www.marineandreef.com/Replac...gnum_s/794.htm
Can't think of any good DIY solution but it might be worth a bit of silicone, etc.???
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Iím talking about the bushings for the impeller shaft, not the biowheel. I donít install the biowheel for my Penguins and use them straightly for mechanical. When the bushing is worn and loose, the shaft will vibrate and make noise, which attributes to 80% of the noise issue. In the past, I bought replacement impeller to silent the noise. But manufacturers over price replacement impeller to half as expensive as buying a new filter.

I tried silicon before, but it works only temporary until next time I remove the impeller for cleaning.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Iím talking about the bushings for the impeller shaft, not the biowheel. I donít install the biowheel for my Penguins and use them straightly for mechanical. When the bushing is worn and loose, the shaft will vibrate and make noise, which attributes to 80% of the noise issue. In the past, I bought replacement impeller to silent the noise. But manufacturers over price replacement impeller to half as expensive as buying a new filter.

I tried silicon before, but it works only temporary until next time I remove the impeller for cleaning.
Ok, sorry to question and I do know what you mean about the impeller price. Seems they like to put us in a bind where we have to buy from them. Sorry, hoping for a different situation but I have notfound one. This is one of the tings that did eventually lead me to move away from HOB and then when the prices of Eheim canisters seemed to become too much, I have moved to the cheaper imports and finding good value in the Sunsun models of canisters as they do have several points I like. Not to say you need to move to that but if replacing the impeller is half the price of replacing the filter, I have to look at what might fit better. On small tanks which I do not run full time, I'm also finding good value in buying the off brand filters I find at Wal-mart selling under the Regal name.
Sorry, always the question.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Funny. I don't think I ever had worn bushings. I thought the bushing wasn't supposed to move from it's spot in the housing as the main shaft doesn't move -- just the middle part with the magnet and the propeller. That's why when I had to replace, it was always the shaft being worn down like a rod into a needle (old chinese parable). Or did I remember wrong? If I remembered right, then your filter housing is the part thats not holding the impeller properly anymore and needs work/replacement.

Yea, I think I got frustrated at my penguins for that very reason. Over the years, they just became prohibitively expensive. And really, if you're not using the biowheel, there's not much reason to be using it. Lots of better HOBs out there I bet. I personally have went to fluval canisters for other reasons but man, I take it for granted now that I don't have to buy any impeller shafts anymore. Those old marineland canisters used to be terrible about having to replace impeller shafts too! In retrospect, I think I had a misguided loyalty to marineland.

Interestingly, during that time, I noticed the walmart aqua-teks are what seemed to be like rebranded B stock penguins or commissioned from the same manufacturer. Same mold and filter size too. But you can definitely feel the drop in quality. I don't know about the situation now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not sure if AquaTech is stripped down version of Penguin or Whisper sold through discount big box chain. The basic design of many Hobs is identical, only varies with extra like biowheel or biofoam gadget that can do without. If I can find cheap substitute impeller that fits my Penguin, I’ll take it.

Canister filter is no better as it has O rings, in addition to impeller, to fail and canisters cost 3 to 4 times as much as comparable hobs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Canister filter is no better as it has O rings, in addition to impeller, to fail and canisters cost 3 to 4 times as much as comparable hobs.

I am not sure I agree with this on the newer imports. One point is that all filters will eventually need parts replaced but on canisters, the O-rings are ten cent items from the hardware rather than the $10 and up impellers. Part of that comes from the impeller shaft on the better ones are ceramic, rather than steel and that makes them much more resistant to wear. Second is the way the water flows through canisters to avoid the sand and grit going past the impeller and shaft before the media. They last longer if they are not getting the wear of sand and silt in the movement.
Does seem odd to find worn out bushings. That seems to be about the only part of filters that I have not had to replace.
For pricing I do feel I find value in the Sunsun line, although I have not used them on smaller tanks but I might suggest looking at the HW-603B, rated for 40 gallon and under $30 on the auction. Double/triple the price of an impeller but then you do get all the advantages of the newer design.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
have you looked at marineland .com and they sell them there much cheaper i need a 350 replacement and they are selling it for 11. others are selling it for over 20. so check it out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes, I can get cheaper impeller from Marineland.com than other places, but I have to pay for shipping cost that is not cheap if I buy one. I can get free shipping if I buy $50 or more but I can't find enough stuff to buy from Marineland presently.

Replacing with new impeller will definitely work, but I am looking for free DIY or penny cheap bushings to see if I can fix the noise. I feel a waste each time I had to replace with brand new impeller when only the bushings may be the problem. The earlier HOBs I bought came with extra bushings in the package but the vendors get smart and don't provide or sell them anymore.

I also discovered that I can replace impeller with lower model at less cost. For example, Penguin 170 and 200 impellers can fit 350 and 370, only pump less water but quieter and the filter pads last longer. So it's preferable to me to replace with lower model impeller. The same can be done with Aquaclear Whisper and other brands as long as the length of the impeller is the same. I had also interchanged impellers between Whisper and Penguin in the past but the design keep changing and I won't know which ones are interchangeable. These HOBs last forever and the only part that wear out is the impeller.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode