How to make your own DIY CO2 generator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post How to make your own DIY CO2 generator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZFM9ZpaqGM
this is the one i used, the dudes voice is really high, i know, but hopefully this will help!

Happy plantkeeping!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

check it out!!!! -->

Last edited by Kibblemania1414; 02-09-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: changing regulator to generator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
"some sort of reaction" had me laughing
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

The way he talks is funny lol. Also do i need to take it off at night or is it not enough co2? and could i use this on a 10 gallon?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes you can use it on a ten gallon. and you cant turn it off, just replace the sugar/yeast "concoction" every like... when it runs out.. THANKS!

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

Awsome ima do this tomarrow on my snow day haha. Now can i still dose excell? and whats the best diffuser without havin to buy a glass one?
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes you can still dose supplements if that's what you meant. and i should do it too! snow days RULE. and you could just use a sand air stone (that's what my friend did) or i think you can just use a regular air stone. find the thing that will create the smallest bubbles, or micro bubbles. those will stay in the water longer, actually putting tiny amounts of CO2 into your water. diffuser is the best option, but an air stone will work for the time being. @(^_^)@

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

sweet thank you! and i know haha 2 in a row blizzard
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you should change the title of your thread...this is a CO2 generator

not a regulator (the pressure control device for a pressurized CO2 tank)

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

oh, and how can i change that?

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Click the edit button on your first post and the click the go advanced button.
You can now change the title with it.

This video is one of the first videos I stumbled upon when I did some research on DIY CO2 mix before I went pressurized.

Another 2.5g story

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Algae Grower

I hooked mine up today it works awsome. had a small leak but now its good. runnin about a bubble every 5 sec. 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp of yeast is wat i used. whats workin best for yall?
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Algae Grower

I just did exactly what the kid in the video did. Pretty cool project, Im going to use my hob filter to diffuse the bubbles. Just wanted to know how long it took for your rigs to start producing co2? Im waiting for 2 hours now...that kid said only 1 hour and I used the same measurements as him. Also, do you think it would be better to warm the water a little when puting the yeast in like with baking? Just though of this, will have to try it next time.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

Make sure you have no leaks. ive done it twice now and both times im producing co2 within 45 minutes, but the first time i had a leak and it took me like 3 hours to figure this out. but once i got this fixed it worked perfectly. Also heating the water might be your problem. I got my water pretty warm when i put it in there.

I mix it in small amounts though. I get all my stuff together. i mix the baking soda, yeast and sugar together, then i put about a third of it in there. fill it up with twice that amout of water and shake very well, then put in half of whats left. fill about half way, then mix very well. Then finally the last bit of dry stuff, then i fill the water to the begining of were the bend starts in the 2 liter.

It is important though that your water is warm, i dont even know if the yeast will generate without warm water. mine is just slightly warm to the touch.

Hope this helped. Pm me on how it works out for ya.
Justin
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Exclamation No warm water

actually guys warm water kills the yeast reaction. you must put in however much sugar or brown sugar, then put it in the warm water and let it sit there for about an hour till it is cold. then stir it once or twice, then put your yeast and close it up.

here is a really good one!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHS6y...eature=related

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

good co2 diffuser

i just bought a co2 diffuser for $10 at my LFS it is a Hagen fuval diffuser (pic at bottom) and it is working well. it has no re-fills or maintenance. all you have to do is plug the tube from your diy co2 generator to the top, and place the diffuser in vertically. you might just want to give it a quick scrub with a clean sponge when it gets algae on it.
Attached Images

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode