What is the ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST you could ever set up a paintball CO2 system for??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
What is the ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST you could ever set up a paintball CO2 system for???

ABSOLUTE Cheapest. So like maybe 50-60 bucks? Be realistic, but be cheap in imagining this. Thanks!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think that would be a bit hard pressed, 30 for Jagged setup, 20 for tank, 6-8 for diffuser, few bucks for bubble counter, couple bucks for airline, 8-15 for drop checker.. I think it cost me just under 100. I honestly will make that back in about a month just from selling plant trimmings in SnS, the growth for my plants is almost unmanageable now lol.

Please don't be cheap and not get a drop checker, you will gas your livestock. I started off without one while it was being shipped, I thought ok 2 bubbles a second should be ok, few days later put the drop checker in..yep, YELLOW, too much..Im now about 1.5 or a lil less a second to keep it green both when the lights are off and on. Remember plants don't use C02 as much when lights are off so the levels go up.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
If you went absolutely the cheapest way? 30 bucks, less by buying reducing fittings down to a needle valve. Take a co2 canister with you to home depot or the like and find the parts.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I spent $41.14 NOT including sales tax for: 20oz paintball tank, ASA on/off, gauge, needle valve, and teflon tape. All new... I don't believe in buying used. CO2 tubing was genrously provided by Noahma, everything else is either optinal or can be made DIY like a bubble counter and diffuser, but I did end up buying a manufacturered bubble counter and diffuser and drop counter so my actual approximate money spent would be:

$65.29 (not including sales tax but may include some shipping charges for parts that I got online) which includes the following NEW items only:

20oz Paintball tank
ASA on/off
Paintball Gauge
Needle Valve
Teflon Tape
ISTA Water Plants CO2 Bubble Counter
ISTA Water Plants CO2 Diffuser
ISTA Water Plants CO2 Drop Checker

I also spent a headache on trying to get my rig to stop leaking, and had Noahma check it up for me... he thinks he's got it fixed, so I'll see about that
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
If you went absolutely the cheapest way? 30 bucks, less by buying reducing fittings down to a needle valve. Take a co2 canister with you to home depot or the like and find the parts.

You need a way to depress the pin in the co2 tank... I am not aware of any home depot fitting that is designed to do this. So an ASA from somewhere will be needed before adapting to a NV.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 PM
I ♥ BBA!

I assumed he'd pick one up when he bought the paintball canister. Our local paintball shop sells a used tank with an on/off gauge for 23$, a needle valve at hd 6$, some tape if you don't have 1$ Maybe that is just my local prices. So, OP ignore my post. LOL

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I assumed he'd pick one up when he bought the paintball canister. Our local paintball shop sells a used tank with an on/off gauge for 23$, a needle valve at hd 6$, some tape if you don't have 1$ Maybe that is just my local prices. So, OP ignore my post. LOL
Maybe I just misunderstood. I've been known to do that.

When you said bring the tank along... I thought you meant to hook the tank to the nv straight... But I see now that you mean like we are tlaking about.

Silly Justin....
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Never wrong to correct me. I assumed, and you didn't. You know what they say.....

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
I think I can do it under $40 dollars.

That will include the following.

Used 20 or 24oz Paintball Tank. Paintball tank off craigslist used are $10 dollars most of the time.
New ASA On/Off Valve $3
New Gauge $3
New Needle Valve $5
Co2 Tubing 2-3 feet only .62 cent
Teflon Tape .80 cent
Check Valve $2
Ceramic Glass Diffuser $8
Drop check $8

She winks, Let's dance.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
This is my next project. I have just been looking around craigslist and many people are dumping their excess paintball stuff for next to nothing which I assume is due to economic issues. I would bet I could do it for $20-30 if I really seek deals, maybe even less than that, but I have a diffuser already, drop checker solution, and probably enough random things around to make a drop checker.

IMO, a bubble counter is not needed. Gauge is not needed. Diffuser is not needed if you inject into your filter, or you can use a chopstick or wood air stone. You can also combine a check valve and bubble counter into one unit, common DIY on here. You probably have some tubing laying around, most of us do and I have had no issues using airline tubing. DIY drop checkers are easy enough and you may already have the materials (clean bottle for hand lotion/hand sanitizer/etc).

In that case:
$10 for Paintball Canister (used)
$5 For ASA (probably can get it free with the Paintball canister if you try).
$5 for needle valve
$2-5 for DIY bubble counter with check valve, or only a check valve.

-Matt

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
dude, just go on utube and look up DIY co2 generator and it will tell you. it is super cheap adn all you need is..
2 liter bottle
tubing
diffuser
water bottle
sugar
yeast
and then just follow the instructions that the person gives you
ur welcome @(^_^)@
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibblemania1414 View Post
dude, just go on utube and look up DIY co2 generator and it will tell you. it is super cheap adn all you need is..
2 liter bottle
tubing
diffuser
water bottle
sugar
yeast
and then just follow the instructions that the person gives you
ur welcome @(^_^)@
Have you ever used pressurized co2 before? It has so many benifits of DIY. It is more consistent first of all, important for high light tanks. Supposedly it is actually cheaper in the long run but I find that a bit hard to believe. Most importantly, you just set it and it works forever. Even after a refill, just tighten one nut, turn a knob and you are right where you left off.

Lets assume you would use the same diffusion method and a drop checker in both situations so we won't compare that in cost. DIY is about $10, this is about $20-30. If it is anywhere close to my real deal setup, it is worth the extra money, trust me. I will never do DIY co2 again after going pressurized. Even on tanks I have that are not pressurized, I just don't want to deal with it ever again. I get DIY compared to a $150-300 setup that has all the goodies and super quality components. Compared to this, I would not go the yeast route.

-Matt

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Can someone please provide me with some basic links? My price range is 40 dollars. I'm not sure I still understand all of the components, so links with prices will definitely help. Thanks.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
asa valve-$20 at local pb shop
needle valve-$6 at lowes
24oz pb tank $already had a spare from playing pb=free
co2 fill $5
tubing- already had=free
check valve-already had =free
diffuser- hooked to powerhead in tank=free
teflon tape -$2
$33 total
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode