Powerhead + Sponge Filter = Problems? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Powerhead + Sponge Filter = Problems?

Hey guys, in an effort to add water flow to my tank and combine 2 pieces of equipment, I recently attached a Maxi-Jet 400 powerhead to the sponge filter (originally powered with an air pump) in my tank. However, I noticed that after a few minutes, the sponge filter would slightly deform, getting "sucked" towards the intake. Although I didn't think it was the problem, I tried cleaning the sponge, gave it a few good squeezes, but didn't fix the issue. While I'm guessing that the sponge filter probably is still working fine, the output flow of the powerhead is pretty reduced.

I'm guessing I can get a bigger sponge, but I'd rather have less real estate being taken. Is any of this a problem? Will this cause some kind of wear on the pump? Is there an easy solution I am missing? Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	860281  

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-09-2018 at 03:55 AM. Reason: photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The sponge is too fine!!!

Choose a sponge that easily fits that that plastic frame/base, and proceed.

Your definitely doing the correct thing as for filtration, just swap sponges.
They may describe the porosity as a "PRO" version or coarse.

Below, I'm approaching a half dozen of the same filters, but they are the Cobalt MJ900s.
The Cobalts seem to be the same thing at a glance, but have a tighter fit and finish than the Marineland MJ when the parts are handled and not just seen in a photo.
When the chart is seen on the MJ400 vs the 600 vs the 900, vs the 1200, the flow-to-watt ratio on paper has the MJ900 winning.
The MJ1200 is near 20 watts and there are other pumps that can do better for that wattage.

The 900 pushes a lot more than what you are used to, BUT if you use a Tee or a larger output, elbow or screen, then the water actually is diverted differently than a high nozzle-like flow.
It's like aiming a house fan at pricker bushes, and not so in-your-face abrupt.
Dampen the output if needed, don't sacrifice the cycle turnover rate.

Either, I'm doing it wrong, people are afraid of change, or they may like the air pump noise and splatter from bubblers popping water stains all over the top of the tank.
Whatever the reason, your heading in the right direction in my opinion.

If you still like air bubble and hydro sponges, you can add an umbrella of sponge at the top of the rising bubbles to catch the popping splatter of messy bubbles and tie it off as plants are added to hide any eye-sore of equipment once the design is complete and you are satisfied.

The pics below are some of my history of changes and quarantine quickies while I needed to transfer tanks and fish.
The Eheim SKIM350 works wonders at the surface in addition to the underwater Hydro-Sponge/MaxiJet combo your working on.

one more point to make:

BTW, in your photo the exterior of the sponge has broken down mulm and other random stuff clogging the pores.
The open porosity sponge will take in those particles and break them down better with more nooks and crannies.
The mulm (broken down detritus or poop) will still be there, but it will be a factor of your particular fish load of when the sponge needs to be extracted and dipped in water change water to wring out.

Mulm is ok, just not on the outside of your sponge clogging it.

For example, if a deer dies in the woods....it smells and is breaking down.
It will soon be nothing but teeth and bone and almost harmless to the situation.
Mulm is harmless broken down to the last bit, but still there as a physical thing.

Example 2.
It's the same as a bag of bones stuck in an intake of a fan.
No huge issue as for smell, it's just in the way of flow at that point as well as not the proper or ideal way to run.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip! The brown mulm that you are seeing I think is actually tiny pieces of the substrate that is too small to easily squeeze out of the sponge from when I first set up the tank, but I'll definitely look into getting a sponge with courser pores! What kind of turnover rate do you go for? I have seen some mixed numbers, most saying around 4x tank size/hr, but I saw some saying up to 10x/hr. Even with the Maxijet 400, rated to just under 4x my tank size, the flow seemed pretty powerful for my plants unless I diverted the majority of flow to the front and top of the tank. But like you said, a screen or perhaps one of those spray nozzles may help. I currently am back on the air pump, but once I find a proper sponge, hopefully I'll be back on the powerhead!

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-09-2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode