Questions on DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Questions on DIY CO2

High Lights on a 25 gallon, with dosing (no CO2 yet)

1st how well does it work?
2nd Why do you have a bottle of water after the co2 container? (diagrams?)
3rd how do i make sure not to gas the fish and shrimp?
4th do i have to use a diffuser or can i just use a stone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
1) It works. Not nearly as effective as pressurized CO2, but it definitely adds CO2 to the water column, depending on your diffusion.

2) Any yeast mixture that enters the tube due to knocking the reactor over, dropping it, shaking too vigorously, etc. will end up in the 2nd bottle rather than the tank. It can even be an empty bottle to catch any drippings from the first section of tubing.

3) You absolutely can't. Not for a 25g tank. Unless you have absolutely spectacular diffusion (like, seriously, darn near 100%), AND you have multiple CO2 bottles.

4) Airstones work, but you'll have to toss them after a week or two due to gunk buildup. Glass/ceramic diffusers work best, but even they're hit-or-miss depending on the quality of the manufacturing process. Some will do wonderfully, some will do allright, and some will not work at all because the necessary working pressure can't be reached with DIY CO2. In a pinch, a broken-off piece of bamboo chopstick stuffed into the airline will do the trick.

5) DIY CO2 is an almost mandatory step in the planted tank experience evolution that is inevitably tossed aside for pressurized. Experiment, enjoy, but don't invest too much cash. Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So the syringe im using for a DIY Diffuser was for my wisdom teeth so it has a narrow tip would this help diffusion? how long should it be if its a little less than an inch in diameter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
1) It works. Not nearly as effective as pressurized CO2, but it definitely adds CO2 to the water column, depending on your diffusion.

2) Any yeast mixture that enters the tube due to knocking the reactor over, dropping it, shaking too vigorously, etc. will end up in the 2nd bottle rather than the tank. It can even be an empty bottle to catch any drippings from the first section of tubing.

3) You absolutely can't. Not for a 25g tank. Unless you have absolutely spectacular diffusion (like, seriously, darn near 100%), AND you have multiple CO2 bottles.

4) Airstones work, but you'll have to toss them after a week or two due to gunk buildup. Glass/ceramic diffusers work best, but even they're hit-or-miss depending on the quality of the manufacturing process. Some will do wonderfully, some will do allright, and some will not work at all because the necessary working pressure can't be reached with DIY CO2. In a pinch, a broken-off piece of bamboo chopstick stuffed into the airline will do the trick.

5) DIY CO2 is an almost mandatory step in the planted tank experience evolution that is inevitably tossed aside for pressurized. Experiment, enjoy, but don't invest too much cash. Good luck!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could you explain more about the bamboo difusor?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Take a piece (say about 2") of chopstick or a bamboo skewer and shove it in the end of the tubing that is coming out of the 2 liter going into the tank. Fine bubbles, works better than an airstone.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got it set up with the syringe just waiting for pressure to build. using a sobe bottle may make another bottle or two (2 or 3 bottles total)

Thanks everyone for the help!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

^^i think youre better off using 2liter soda bottles...
using glass is no-no here

...or at least that was the consensus when I was using DIY CO2

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoneybags View Post

I was under the same impression. It was explained to me that a plastic 2 liter bottle allows for more "flex" from the pressure of the co2 as opposed to a glass container. Again I could b wrong. Just my 2 cents.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah thats what im going to use but for now its all i got... its plastic though if that makes any difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
I was under the same impression. It was explained to me that a plastic 2 liter bottle allows for more "flex" from the pressure of the co2 as opposed to a glass container. Again I could b wrong. Just my 2 cents.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:42 PM
Algae Grower

i dont this it really matters. i think people just use those cause their cheap and you can always find them

my
**SOLD**
Mr Aqua 11.4 **coming soon to a thread near you**
i have the BUG!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoneybags View Post

FYI....I used a glass wine bottle, glass spice jar and rubber stoppers. It's worked beautifully! I've had it running for about 2 months now and not a single problem yet and no co2 leaks.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode