Supporting Rocks to Stand Upright - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Supporting Rocks to Stand Upright

Hello,

I am interested in setting up a tank with some larger pieces of Dragon stone standing upright. I will cut pieces so they are sitting on a flat bottom but would like to know if anyone has any ideas on how to secure them in this position.

Some ideas I've had are attaching a piece of slate, similar to to the way aquarium driftwood is done but I feel like it would be difficult to find an anchor that would not be easily ripped out of the Dragon stone as it seems fairly soft, as far as stone goes. My other is is pouring some kind of cement/epoxy into a small square form and placing the stone in the middle to create a rigid base.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions on aquarium safe materials?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Depends on tools, etc. on hand but several ways might work. If the stone is soft and might break, that might be a hint that drilling would be easy? Rather than anchors which might split a soft stone, perhaps a hole into the stone and then run a wooden dowel up from the bottom side. Maybe lean one stone on another and "peg" them together with a short dowel into each if you want a "leaning" look?
One point to remember if you have fish who dig? Be sure the stone is down to the tank bottom fully as fish can get sand, etc. out from most anything and you don't want it shifting. I use lots of stone in African cichlid tanks and one things I DO NOT want is shifting rockes!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM
Algae Grower

I used some aquarium sealant to glue some smaller rocks in place. It seems to hold quite well.

[custom signature goes here]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can get glue/epoxy for joining rocks in reef tanks - I imagine most would work just as well for fresh.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I used egg crate style lighting diffuser. I then stood the rock up and used lava rock pebbles to support it. the shape and texture of the lava rock and the egg crate made it very secure.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode