is there any DIY for small pond - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
is there any DIY for small pond

am planning on breeding CPD outside during summer, just wondering if i could buy a long laundry buckets, maybe 30-40 gallon and use this as a pond. i will be also adding some low light plants into it. i really dont want any filter unless i have to have one. is there any diy for filter without using electricity, something that will Siphon the water.if you guys got any pictures of your outdoor DIY pond please share the pictures. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
The trouble with this type of setup is that it will get very warm during the summer. If not in the ground and completely shaded, it could get well over ambient temps.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
The trouble with this type of setup is that it will get very warm during the summer. If not in the ground and completely shaded, it could get well over ambient temps.
it will only recieve sun in the morning from about 10AM-2PM and then it will be under shade most of the time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
That time is likely enough to bring up the temp very high. Not being in the ground makes it very difficult to control the temp. it will fluctuate up and down a significant amount. High temps will mean very low oxygen.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had deck ponds last summer and they only got sun from sunrise until noon and on some days they would be over 100* by noon. I don't know how the plants and bugs survived in them but they did.
If you can put the container in the shade all of the time, you won't have an overheating problem but you might get a lot of tree debris falling in it.
For CPD you'd probably want some kind of filter and without electricity that is going to be a problem.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Many people have had trouble with cheap containers not designed for holding water or being outside. They warp from the sun and bulge from the pressure of the water. I would go for something meant to be outside, luckly you have many options at your local garden store. I suggest those fiberglass "half barrels" personally.

I went with a plastic liner in ground pond and have had no issues with temperature. If you can, it looks nicer and is insulated from heat by the ground. Plenty of people keep fish outside above ground, I know people who successfully keep guppies and goldfish all summer where highs can reach 120 degrees above ground.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I keep a goldfish pond above ground on my covered patio. It's not exactly DIY, I bought a round 20g preform from Lowe's. It has gravel, a filter (40g as it is overstocked) and a pump, as well as a few floaters and bamboo plants. In the summer, it stays around 78-80 and I live in south florida.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
You don't need anything that big for CPD's I bred them a few years ago in 20 gallon laundry tubs from lowes (or big lots or walmart) These are ROUND with rope handles. No bulging, no filters, no feeding. It was filled with java moss and duckweed. Put any plants you want in it, real sunlight is so much better than bulbs. I just didn't have any substrate in those tubs. They will be fine with the temperature fluctuations... they are in a big enough body of water that it's not going to swing a lot over the course of a day, rather it will be the average of the day and night temps. Floating plants like duckweed help to shade them and keep the temps down too.
there were my cpd tubs:

These were praecox bows and swordtails, ( I used plumber's putty to gum up the drainage holes, though super glue would work better for something permanent):

Here is a whole thread I started about these as they were happening:
http://www.celestialpearldanio.com/f...topic.php?t=54

"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers"-Amanda Bloom

: 8 praecox, 4 SAEs, 1 blue acara, 1 yoyo, 1 botia kubotai, 1 florida flag fish, 1 rubberlip pleco
Other tanks: HRP's, unknown shrimp, cherry shrimp, endler's, brigs, ramshorns, swordtails
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaseafoam View Post

Wow, those actually look really good. I see the "wood half barrels" all the time and don't like the look. I halfway life at my girlfriends place and she wants a fountain on the back porch. That really looks better to me, my mom has a few similar to yours but the floating plants really make it look great.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode