Diy co2 please help - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Grobbins48
  • 2 Post By mbkemp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy co2 please help

I want to set up a diy co2 system for my planted 10g, and wanted to share it here so I could get help if I needed it. So far, I know I need the following materials (Amazon links because that's where I am gonna buy them)

-DIY co2 cap system:
https://www.amazon.com/Pressurized-....s=diy+co2+kit#

-co2 diffuser with check valve
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2WQD8DFR&psc=1

-Fluval bubble counter

What else do I need? I already have the bottles, citric acid, and baking soda.
Also, what should my bps be? It is a low light tank with the following plants:
Anubias barteri, ludwigia repens, rotala rotundifolia, Java fern, Dwarf sagittaria, bacopa monnieri, staurogyne repens, cryptocoryne wendtii, Bucephalandra (Brownie Blue, Black Pearl, Red Blade

I dose Flourish twice a week.

How long should I run the co2 for?
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks, Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It depends on what your goals are. Iíve done this. Test ph drop in order to understand how much co2 you are introducing. Generally you are looking for 30 ppm which is typically 1 point if drop in your ph

You might need to up ferts or algae could become your friend. Take a look at nilocg. Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

I ran that same setup for a few months before diving I to pressurized. Be aware that the check valve that comes with the diffuser, at least for me, leaked from day 1 and had to be replaced. I clicked the link and Amazon told me I had purchased that diffuser. The diffuser itself worked well for me.

If you are able to turn it on and off every day that is great, but can get difficult. I ended up installing a solenoid when I did DIY. One because I could keep a schedule off a timer, and two because it was hard to set the same BPS every day. On thing about planted tanks I am learning is they enjoy consistency.

For me personally, DIY helped me learn that I wanted to take the dive into pressurized vs. a non Injected tank. Overall I spent more money because of DIY, but again for me it was worth it to learn. I wish you luck!
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I completely agree with the above. Replace that needle valve with a decent one.

Citric acid will produce enough gas. The issue will be consistent gas when it is loosing steam. I would bet that that first you will think you are golden. When algae starts you will yearn for more consistent gas.

Good luck! Keep asking questions. Lots to learn here but potential is unlimited when the barriers start coming down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grobbins48 and Grobbins48 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode