Video of my DIY Co2 being fed into Koralia - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 87
Video of my DIY Co2 being fed into Koralia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqA1Neu2nb0

So here's a quick video I shot of the "diffuser" being used with my DIY Co2 reactor. Just wondering if it's normal to have little spurts, wait 5-8 seconds, and then one big blast (roughly every 10-15 bubbles). Also, are the bubbles small enough, and are they even really doing much since they are mostly floating to the top? The AC 110's waterfall pushes them back down quite a bit. You can see what I'm talking about in the video. Just wanted some helpful input from you all! Take a peek and be as nice, or mean, as you like Oh, and yes, there will be quite a few more plants soon.
TRD_Power is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
i don't think you are diffusing any co2 at all, the bubbles are simply too big to diffuse any co2 in the water, i think you will have better results if you add air stone under that koralia, best if you could add glass diffuser right under koralia.
happi is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 87
Well, I added an air stone and now the bubbles seem to be coming out WAY faster now. They seem to be a bit smaller as well. This is in a 75g, so do you think if I'm getting 2 bubbles every second it's too much? Also, I am getting more of the big bursts of Co2 with the air stone... This a problem? I'll pick a glass diffuser up soon, but for now I will have to do with this. Any suggestions on where to shop for a cheap glass diffuser?

Thanks
TRD_Power is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Power View Post
Well, I added an air stone and now the bubbles seem to be coming out WAY faster now. They seem to be a bit smaller as well. This is in a 75g, so do you think if I'm getting 2 bubbles every second it's too much? Also, I am getting more of the big bursts of Co2 with the air stone... This a problem? I'll pick a glass diffuser up soon, but for now I will have to do with this. Any suggestions on where to shop for a cheap glass diffuser?

Thanks
you wont able to get enough co2 with glass diffuser into the 75g tank, unless you will be leaving this 24/7. you can use the new diffuser from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...ffuser-65.html
but you will need to use pressurized co2 for these diffusers. the reactor is your best bet, you can make rex style co2 reactor, this is the best way to diffuse 100% co2.
happi is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,797
EBay...I'd suggust picking up a drop checker to


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
accordztech is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 87
I'll look into the Rex reactor for sure. Would it help to run this in one of my AC110's intake, or would it be basically the same as the Koralia?
TRD_Power is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
EBay...I'd suggust picking up a drop checker to
don't forget about the 4dkh solution
happi is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Power View Post
I'll look into the Rex reactor for sure. Would it help to run this in one of my AC110's intake, or would it be basically the same as the Koralia?
you cannot use the reactor on hang back filters. but here is DIY guide of rex style co2 reactor, this reactor only works on canister filters.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

i will ask simple question, can you spend some money on pressurized co2?
happi is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,015
A Koralia type powerhead isn't likely to work as a CO2 bubble chopping diffuser. Even ordinary powerheads work far better as such if the rotors are modified by either drilling or melting lots of holes in the blades, or by snipping the blades lengthwise into multiple "bladelets". To chop CO2 bubbles fine enough, so they only very slowly drift to the top of the tank, takes more than just a simple rotor spinning through them.

When you put the CO2 hose in the inlet of any powerhead you get those surges of bubbles, as each big CO2 bubble hits the rotor and gets chopped up. That is normal, but when this works well the resultant tiny CO2 bubbles are too small to float to the top of the water quickly.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
you cannot use the reactor on hang back filters. but here is DIY guide of rex style co2 reactor, this reactor only works on canister filters.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm

i will ask simple question, can you spend some money on pressurized co2?
Definitely not going the pressurized route on the 75g for quite sometime. Out of a job now and went back to school full-time, so keeping the spending down to a minimum I'll probably find a glass diffuser and toss this kit in my 10g again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
A Koralia type powerhead isn't likely to work as a CO2 bubble chopping diffuser. Even ordinary powerheads work far better as such if the rotors are modified by either drilling or melting lots of holes in the blades, or by snipping the blades lengthwise into multiple "bladelets". To chop CO2 bubbles fine enough, so they only very slowly drift to the top of the tank, takes more than just a simple rotor spinning through them.

When you put the CO2 hose in the inlet of any powerhead you get those surges of bubbles, as each big CO2 bubble hits the rotor and gets chopped up. That is normal, but when this works well the resultant tiny CO2 bubbles are too small to float to the top of the water quickly.
Thanks for the input yet again, Hoppy! Like I said above, I'll just go with a glass diffuser and toss the DIY Co2 in my 10g. For now I will just hold off on Co2 in my 75g till I finish school and get a better job so that decorating it won't be done so poorly

Thanks again, guys!
TRD_Power is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
DarkCobra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 3,350
When you run a bare airline into any kind of powerhead/filter, here is what frequently happens. The CO2 approaches the end of the airline. When the CO2 reaches it, instead of one bubble coming out cleanly, the vacuum from the filter suddenly sucks a lot of bubbles out at once, resulting in the end of the airline being filled with water again, sometimes up to multiple inches. Cycle repeats.

These bursts of multiple bubbles all at once are more than an impeller can efficiently break up, and results in large bubbles coming out that just float up and out of your tank.

Terminating the end of the airline with an airstone, even a very poor one, stops this vacuum effect from happening and greatly improves diffusion.

BTW, the AC110 and all Aquaclear HOBs actually make great diffusers if you set them up right.

First, cut the end of the airline not straight as usual, but at a long tapering angle; so that the end is about 1" long. Use multiple zip ties and secure the airline to the intake, so that the taper is pressed against the slots of the intake. This too eliminates most of the vacuum effect, and requires no modification to the intake.

Second, take a look at how water flows from the left (impeller) chamber of the AC110 to the right (media and outflow) chamber. Notice how the pump attempts to drive water sideways into the filter sponge at the bottom of the chambers.

The problem with this is that CO2 bubbles tend to strike the sponge without entering it, then float up and out of the left chamber.

The solution is easy. The filter basket is designed to accommodate two sponges. Mount a single sponge where the 2nd (top) sponge would go, and leave the bottom area open. Now the CO2 bubbles end up trapped, floating on the bottom of the sponge, with water churning and rushing past them to help them dissolve; an ideal situation. A few fine bubbles will manage to work their way through the sponge before being dissolved, and will be driven into your aquarium, where they'll still dissolve quite a bit before floating out.

Of course all HOBs agitate the surface of the water, which causes some dissolved CO2 to be lost to the surrounding air. Keep the water level as high as possible to minimize this, and you may find that your HOB works well enough that you don't need anything else.
DarkCobra is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 87
Awesome advice, DarkCobra! I'll give this a shot later for sure. I just put a piece of a bamboo chopstick on the end to see how that does, but I think your way would work better for sure. Could I run the Co2 tube into the back part of my AC110 and under the sponge filter, or would the intake method be much better? Thanks! Another thing I was thinking is whether or not I could cut a hole in one of the sponge filters, add an air stone/bamboo chunk, and then shove it into the filter. I'm guessing no, but figured I'd throw it out there

Last edited by TRD_Power; 01-27-2011 at 10:48 PM.
TRD_Power is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
DarkCobra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Power View Post
Awesome advice, DarkCobra! I'll give this a shot later for sure. I just put a piece of a bamboo chopstick on the end to see how that does, but I think your way would work better for sure.
I haven't tried the chopstick method. With my luck, it would somehow clog, and I'd end up with a mess.

But it may actually work better. Any opportunity for smaller bubbles or increased contact time with moving water is good. And that's why this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Power View Post
Could I run the Co2 tube into the back part of my AC110 and under the sponge filter, or would the intake method be much better? Thanks! Another thing I was thinking is whether or not I could cut a hole in one of the sponge filters, add an air stone/bamboo chunk, and then shove it into the filter.
...isn't a good idea, because it bypasses the bubble-chopping action and super fast water movement of the impeller completely.

Let us know how anything you try works out.
DarkCobra is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
TRD_Power's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 87
Ahh, so I take it having the small bubbles from the chopstick should NOT be running into the Koralia....? Thanks!
TRD_Power is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
DarkCobra's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 3,350
Sure, that's fine. Small bubbles in + impeller = even smaller bubbles out.
DarkCobra is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome