eek! cracked stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
eek! cracked stand

I got a great deal on a used tank and stand online. Problem is the stand has a long crack on one side in the back, essentially the pressed wood is split. The damage seems old, the watermarks are quite dry.How the heck so I fix this and solidify it? I`m handy with tools but I need a bit of direction... thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What size tank is it? For a 10 gallon stand, the crack means nothing. For a 150 gallon tank stand, it might mean a lot.

Since you are handy with tools, I think you should just make a stand from either 3/4 plywood or 2 x 4's skinned with thin plywood. That is easy and cheap to do.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
you could go grab a few steel strap ties to help shore it up until you figure out what to do with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

it`s a 40 gallon, so 450 pounds minus substrate so heavy enough.

Good idea hoppy, unfortunately I`m tight on time, which is why I bought a tank with a stand - to avoid having to build one

Noahma, not sure what you mean by steel strap ties!

I suppose I`ll try white glue and perhaps strenghten it with 2x2s
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
it`s a 40 gallon, so 450 pounds minus substrate so heavy enough.

Good idea hoppy, unfortunately I`m tight on time, which is why I bought a tank with a stand - to avoid having to build one

Noahma, not sure what you mean by steel strap ties!

I suppose I`ll try white glue and perhaps strenghten it with 2x2s
Strap ties are used in construction for various methods, like holding trusses to the tops of structures, they are steel lengths with holes through the middle, you can grab a couple of them, and some bolts, drill the holes in an area through the stand, and make sure they are tight against the stand. Insert bolts, and tighten them down. They can hold a ton of weight, so it might stabilize the stand for you.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Just take a straight 1x2 and cut it to run the whole length of the back...get some clamps or straps to pull the stand together so it is square...then glue the 1x2 over the crack and to the sides of the stand. Use yellow wood glue.

maybe add a few more up the back just to be safe.

GROW BABY GROW

-
-
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It's not terribly clear, but a couple ideas - if there's room, stick a 2x4 on the inside in the corner, and drill and screw through the outside. Also, you could use metal "L" brackets on either the inside or the outside to shore it up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i could be wrong, but it kind of looks like that corner of the stand is water damaged partical board.

SunSun Pimp #7
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is the tank on the stand and filled? Obviously there are a lot more options if the tank is not on the stand.

Looking at the crack it seems to be in the corner of the left side vertical panel (perhaps the back panel.)

Again examining your photo it appears that this same panel is bowing outwards. Is this correct? If so I would be more concerned about that condition then the cracked corner.

If the issue is simply the cracked corner and the panels themselves are straight I would inject some 30 minute epoxy into the crack and forget about if.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode