Splitting washer supply for water source - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Splitting washer supply for water source

What is the best way to do this? The only way I can think of is with another set of washer hoses and three Y-splitters. Is there a more elegant solution for accessing both the hot and cold water supply for controlled temperature? I live in an apartment townhome so major plumbing changes are out of the question.

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A bit more info on what you have now will help. I imagine a plastic-type box, set into the wall with the existing faucets stubbed out in the box? Do you want to convert it to run through some type faucet and use that as the temperature control or us the existing faucets?
Sorry about the questions but my mind works that way!! I often do plumbing and there are lots of ways to go but which is best? Depends on where we started and where want to end. Y's like used for outside faucets if you want to use existing faucets for temp control but that can be hard to reach if they are behind a bunch of washer/drier! Sometimes bringing it out to a spot where you can reach works better?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ray-Padu...SIDC/205916935
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's in the basement where I'm putting my rack I just completed. The hot and cold supply for the washing machine is just bare pipes/spigots anchored to the cinder wall. They're reasonably easy to access since the washer and dryer are positioned at an angle, but I would end up with a short length of garden hose that would reach to the tanks regardless. Like I mentioned before though, major plumbing installation/modification is out of the question.

I have MTS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Okay, better idea of what I might suggest.
Semi bare basement wall so that a faucet might be hung on a stand, rack or some place, makes me like the idea of finding a cheap or salvage single handle faucet for the temperature control and then using some form of the "y" to get the hot and cold to that faucet. If it would fit better, the "Y" could even be added on the back of the washer, rather than at the first faucet. I like the second faucet as a single handle gives me less to think about when I'm filling the tank. Swing it one way for warmer or the other way for cooler! Not necessary but since I find lots of old faucets set out on the curb, I like the convenience for little extra expense. I don't like adding any type of T in the water lines to the washer since most of us do leave the faucets open and I am not real happy with the way some fittings fit hoses of this type. Just paranoid about floods, maybe?
A more "upscale" look might be found by using PVC or CPVC off the "Y" to get to the faucet?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode