Aquarium Monitoring/Control System - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am currently using atlas for EC and pH. One of my side goals was to come up with an inexpensive DIY replacement for what is out there. Once I have a signal, turning it to a readable value is easy. So is calibration. For example peristalic dosing pumps. Measure what they actually do, and store that as a constant and perform whatever math from there. EC - the water is a known 1000 micro seimens, it says it is 945. Store the delta and apply it to the readings as they change. When it is not linear, then you have to do a bit of fancy math, but usually nothing beyond high school. I have also come to realize that we really are not managing to 5 digits. The sensors themselves are not that good.

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
ph and ORP probes give out a negative to positive range voltage (-2 to +2 for ORP, -400mV to +400mV for pH), all these boards are doing is converting those ranges to 0-5V to be used for arduino. EC I'm actually less clear on, appears to generate a signal that it puts through the probe and then does some signal conditioning to get a 0-5V signal. They provide the schematics so you can see exactly what the circuit contains.

Compared to the cost of that tentacle board and 3 atlas stamps it's a huge difference. But you would then have to implement your own code for calibrating and turning that 0-5V signal into ph/orp

I actually got a $2 EC working - just thought that it was messed up because I did not understand signal conditioning or isolation. The sensor is literally 2 pins in the water! They are usually stainless or carbon. Or, in my case a figure 8 power cord from a router with 2 stainless screws in the 2 holes and the tops ground off! I was able to get the values to track right along store bought. If the pH and ORP sensors give me a value +-2 to an adc (i.e. arduino analog pin) then the rest is just math and process control. Most of that is documented.

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Post 2 - Starter Schematic

Hey everyone,

Been a little over a week since I last updated. I have been working on drawing up a schematic for how I want to wire up the control system. My plan is to have a little Hoffman enclosure or something similar with some din rail, terminal blocks etc. Just a preliminary wiring diagram/schematic so comments are certainly welcome.

At the moment I have the top section divided by voltages (120VAC, 12VDC, 5VDC and 3.3VDC). I plan on bringing the 120VAC into the enclosure via a cord from a wall outlet, this will drive a 12VDC power supply (Phoenix Contact 2938756 for now...) and the filter, heater, etc. through relays. I had to try and find some low coil power relays for the Arduino to be able to drive via 5VDC without overdrawing on any given pin. I did not want to go through and use transistors or anything to drive the relays like I noticed on some sites. Currently planning on using some TE Connectivity R10-E1Z2-S140 relays for this as they should pull max 20mA from the pin which is acceptable.

Otherwise I drew up the I2C bus, going to need a UART to I2C converter for the flow meter. I realize I could probably just bring this in directly via UART to the Arduino, but for now I am going to try and do all communication via I2C. Going to try and use a NXP SC16IS741IPW,118.

Another note, I did some napkin calcs. I think all should be fine feeding the pump, heater, etc. from the one wall plug on my 20-40 gallon tank. Similar to a power strip but via terminal blocks. Any bigger than this and I might get a little nervous and would need to do some more in depth calculations. I plan on doing this, just haven't yet.

See attached for the PDF! When I am finished I will have this available in .dxf for whoever would like it in CAD. I am currently using QCad which is a nice setup, close enough to AutoCAD to pick up quickly.

Have a good one!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aquarium Monitoring-Model.pdf (170.8 KB, 35 views)

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 PM
Algae Grower

This is great! Take a look amz or eekbay and search for 8 channel relay 5v. It is great opto isolated you can power the 5v side from a power supply and only use the signal from the arduino or Pi to trigger the change. They can do 12-240v on the high side.

I have a 8 gang junction box wired with one of these that is driven by an ESP8266 WiFi board. The Pi talks to the board directly and turns things on/off

One other thing is that I2C may be a little prone to bus locks and signal noise - something to consider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!

Last edited by diverjoe; 05-23-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: .
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfb10 View Post

Otherwise I drew up the I2C bus, going to need a UART to I2C converter for the flow meter. I realize I could probably just bring this in directly via UART to the Arduino, but for now I am going to try and do all communication via I2C. Going to try and use a NXP SC16IS741IPW,118.
I talked to Jordan over at Atlas-Scientific a few months back (wow 9 months ago) about adding I2C to both the EZO-Flow Universal Flow Meter Totalizer and EZO-RGB Embedded Color Sensor.
He mentioned their focus was on moving into their new much larger lab before continuing with further product development. However, it is something he would like to do with those two products. They moved into the new lab last fall. Perhaps, we will see something from them soon. (They have that EZO-Co2 Embedded NDIR Co2 Meter still in development.)

I own several of the previous flow meter boards and older color sensors. No desire to move to the EVO versions of them without I2C. In fact, I'm not going to convert to I2C for anything (no EVO) until I can receive all of my analog inputs (sans my level tape) over I2C. When they put I2C on those final two stamps, I will do an upgrade and replace all of my sensor circuits with new EVO stamps (Temp, pH, ORP, D.O., Conductivity, Flow, Color) and use I2C exclusively for communication. Right now I do Serial with two of the older 4 port serial port expanders... and my Temps are the older analog models.
derbyfb10 and derbyfb10 like this.

learning never stops.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODwyerPW View Post
I talked to Jordan over at Atlas-Scientific a few months back (wow 9 months ago) about adding I2C to both the EZO-Flow Universal Flow Meter Totalizer and EZO-RGB Embedded Color Sensor.
He mentioned their focus was on moving into their new much larger lab before continuing with further product development. However, it is something he would like to do with those two products. They moved into the new lab last fall. Perhaps, we will see something from them soon. (They have that EZO-Co2 Embedded NDIR Co2 Meter still in development.)

I own several of the previous flow meter boards and older color sensors. No desire to move to the EVO versions of them without I2C. In fact, I'm not going to convert to I2C for anything (no EVO) until I can receive all of my analog inputs (sans my level tape) over I2C. When they put I2C on those final two stamps, I will do an upgrade and replace all of my sensor circuits with new EVO stamps (Temp, pH, ORP, D.O., Conductivity, Flow, Color) and use I2C exclusively for communication. Right now I do Serial with two of the older 4 port serial port expanders... and my Temps are the older analog models.
Gotcha that's good to know that they are working on transitioning those over, hopefully we will see them soon! And a CO2 sensor sounds awesome :-)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfb10 View Post
Gotcha that's good to know that they are working on transitioning those over, hopefully we will see them soon! And a CO2 sensor sounds awesome :-)
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The EZO-Flo, EZO-RGB and CO2 Sensor (ambient air, not water) over at Atlas-Scientific are all I2C capable now. The FLO was of interest to me and I snatched it up the first day it was available. I use the Temp, pH and Flow stamps from them over I2C... so much nicer than using a UART multiplexer.

They have a net little app for monitoring their various I2C capable sensors with a RaspberryPi3 and Windows10 IoT Core. (they haven't configured it to work with the FLO yet, but Jordan tells me that's coming). i tried it for Temp and pH.

http://www.sonoratechnical.com/image...pbPiWinIOT.jpg
Yaboihunt likes this.

learning never stops.

Tags
arduino, control, electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode