Aquarium Monitoring/Control System - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I looked at Atlas Scientific web site and those probes are pricey. I have not done much research yet, but is there something more budget oriented?

Looking at Arduino vs RSP vs PLC, wouldn't micro ATX or mini ITX be another viable platfom? Then you could run OS and IDE of choice. I am mulling whether I want to go down that rabbit hole for fun and giggles orshoud I just stick to water changes.
Yeah there are definitely multiple ways to do it. I think the raspberry pi and Arduino already have alot of support in this area which gives them a leg up.

There are certainly plenty of budget sensor options on Amazon etc. However you'll need to consider wiring it up to your board of choice with a breadboard and bnc connector. And also don't forget about voltage isolation to get rid of noise and improve measurement accuracy. Something the tentacle shields do quite well and in a small package. My point being there are plenty of options, but not all created equal or as turn key :-)

Maybe diverjoe knows of a simpler/less expensive solution for a few measurement points?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
I looked at Atlas Scientific web site and those probes are pricey. I have not done much research yet, but is there something more budget oriented?

Looking at Arduino vs RSP vs PLC, wouldn't micro ATX or mini ITX be another viable platfom? Then you could run OS and IDE of choice. I am mulling whether I want to go down that rabbit hole for fun and giggles orshoud I just stick to water changes.

There are some workarounds on the atlas thing that could be pursued as I can see that some of the things I was trying could have worked with what I know now. But however at the end of the day ph and ORP are probably two of the hardest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfb10 View Post
Yeah there are definitely multiple ways to do it. I think the raspberry pi and Arduino already have alot of support in this area which gives them a leg up.

There are certainly plenty of budget sensor options on Amazon etc. However you'll need to consider wiring it up to your board of choice with a breadboard and bnc connector. And also don't forget about voltage isolation to get rid of noise and improve measurement accuracy. Something the tentacle shields do quite well and in a small package. My point being there are plenty of options, but not all created equal or as turn key :-)

Maybe diverjoe knows of a simpler/less expensive solution for a few measurement points?

Pretty sure that EC can be done with a future 8 power cord and a cheap noise circuit. I know how to smooth the values in code now

Temp is a $2 sensor.

I am close to having. $5 solution for water level

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I started with cubic spline some 35 years ago. I am more scared of UI then the back end.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 11:04 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I started with cubic spline some 35 years ago. I am more scared of UI then the back end.

UI is pretty easy for me. Water chemistry and electronics is killing me lol

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverjoe View Post
Pretty sure that EC can be done with a future 8 power cord and a cheap noise circuit. I know how to smooth the values in code now

Temp is a $2 sensor.

I am close to having. $5 solution for water level

Have you considered using analog circuits instead of the atlas stamps? Would be cheaper with these and even cheaper if you could just get the circuits and then get cheaper probes off [Ebay Link Removed]

Conductivity
ORP
pH
Analog isolation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan View Post
Have you considered using analog circuits instead of the atlas stamps? Would be cheaper with these and even cheaper if you could just get the circuits and then get cheaper probes off [Ebay Link Removed]

Conductivity

ORP

pH

Analog isolation

I am certainly all ears. Definately EC is simple. But I donít know what the man behind the curtain is doing in a ph or orp circuit. If I had a clean value from either, the rest could be done in code

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

I also think that and ESP8266 WiFi module could be used to eliminate the issue of isolation all together. They are about $5 It used arduino type code

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 03:46 AM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
If you are not opposed to spending just a little bit of money... take a look at the circuits/sensors built by Atlas-Scientific.com . Basically you communicate with any underlying micro-controller using a a UART or I2C interfaces. Each of their products comes with sample code for integration with Arduino / Rasberry Pi. They are a bit more money, but they solve allot of problems for you.

learning never stops.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In the butting in when not qualified dept.....

All these sensors are mostly ADC type stuff..
"Just" need to clean up the analog signal and digitize it..
https://www.omega.com/Green/pdf/pHbasics_REF.pdf
or
http://www2.emersonprocess.com/sitea...ADS_43-014.pdf
Quote:
THE MEASUREMENT OF ORP
An ORP sensor consists of an ORP electrode and a
reference electrode, in much the same fashion as a
pH measurement.
Basically measure the mV of a reference compared to the mV of the reading sensor..
http://www2.emersonprocess.com/sitea...ADS_43-014.pdf

so there is the people behind the curtain..

See simple /s
https://www.elcircuit.com/2012/04/ph...-lmp91200.html
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/snas571e/snas571e.pdf

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 AM
Algae Grower

Location: Alamos, Sonora, Mexico & Green Valley, Arizona, USA
Derby and DiverJoe,

you guys are up my alley. I'm a process controls guy from way back (DCS, PLCs, SCADA). Presently building my own aquarium controller, but I've traded out controllers and changed direction a few times.. Arduino Duo, TI TM4C Tiva Series, Rasberry Pi3 running Win10 IoT Core , etc...

Just getting back into the fish keeping hobby which has encouraged me to finish my own controller.

learning never stops.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODwyerPW View Post
Derby and DiverJoe,

you guys are up my alley. I'm a process controls guy from way back (DCS, PLCs, SCADA). Presently building my own aquarium controller, but I've traded out controllers and changed direction a few times.. Arduino Duo, TI TM4C Tiva Series, Rasberry Pi3 running Win10 IoT Core , etc...

Just getting back into the fish keeping hobby which has encouraged me to finish my own controller.

Keep the arduino for daq and the Pi with Debian Linux for data manipulation and process control

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODwyerPW View Post
Derby and DiverJoe,

Awesome join the club! Like diver said seems the general trend (of this thread anyways) will be using an Arduino for data gathering and use the raspberry pi for manipulation and control.

I'm a fan of the atlas scientific stuff as well, seems well made and the documentation is excellent. Which can't be said for every manufacturer lol.

I am tempted to break into the Arduino IoT boards as well for the wireless functionality but we will see...more research needed...

post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

Starting to add stuff to Github.

https://github.com/diverjoe/FishNet

Also, better organization for some of it in the WiKi
https://github.com/diverjoe/FishNet/wiki

There is code, pictures, screenshots and how-tos (sorta)

I will be adding to this as i get time. I have a ton of stuff to document.

No Guilt in Life...
No Fear in Death!!!
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverjoe View Post
I am certainly all ears. Definately EC is simple. But I donít know what the man behind the curtain is doing in a ph or orp circuit. If I had a clean value from either, the rest could be done in code

ph and ORP probes give out a negative to positive range voltage (-2 to +2 for ORP, -400mV to +400mV for pH), all these boards are doing is converting those ranges to 0-5V to be used for arduino. EC I'm actually less clear on, appears to generate a signal that it puts through the probe and then does some signal conditioning to get a 0-5V signal. They provide the schematics so you can see exactly what the circuit contains.

Compared to the cost of that tentacle board and 3 atlas stamps it's a huge difference. But you would then have to implement your own code for calibrating and turning that 0-5V signal into ph/orp

Tags
arduino, control, electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode