contractor building my tank!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
contractor building my tank!!

As I have explored the purchase of a large aquarium. Some folks have bad reps, some are outrageously expensive. Just as I was about to settle for a FYI of normal size, I shared some of my frustration with the contractor who has been putting my house back together again following a tornado strike three months ago. My contractor has developed a strong interest in taking on this project of building my aquarium.
The man has been totally delightful to work with. He's outstanding, thorough, creative and honest and he's become a friend. As we talked he asked questions and offered suggestions. His interest grew rapidly. Finally I ask him if he would be willing to take on a project like this. He said he would love it.
As we talked he suggested a huge L shaped tank. The tank will be on a stand he'll make. It will have one face 16 feet long and the short part of the L would be 8 ft. The entire tank would be 36" in width and 30" deep. It will have a steel frame. This basement monster will hold over 1,000 gals.
James is a glass expert as well and works with a master welder. He is excited about doing this project and so am I. He has access to all of the materials wholesale including glass of all thicknesses, laminated, tempered etc. No one in this area builds large custom aquariums and he sees the possibilities.
Never could I afford to have what he's planning to build on site except under these conditions. Of course the big drawback is that he's not yet an experienced aquarium builder. Obviously he will need to consult an experienced tank builder.
I have a question. Do you or anyone know of good fairly technical sites online that discuss the finer aspects of construction including water depth, glass thickness and engineering details?
Also, would you know of an aquarium builder who might be willing to consult on a project like this? I have a dear aquatic friend who is helping but she may not have the engineering expertise necessary.
Thanks for letting me share this with you.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Go on monsterfishkeepers.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think pretty much everyone on monsterfishkeepers builds their own tanks because they keep such massive fish. good site

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Its really a rather straight forward process, if he's a decent carpenter it wont be too difficult for him. x3 on Monsterfishkeepers, them folks be crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GROW BABY GROW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I don't even wanna think about the equipment and maintenance costs of a 1,000gal tank. Definitely post pics as the project develops. I tried to read MonsterFishKeepers for a while but honestly those people scare me a bit.... lol.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
That sounds like a dream build. I have visions for a spot in the basement of my house for a big built in system. MFK is the place to read about other large projects and find some experts who could help you. It really is not that big of a project when you compare it to public aquariums. So you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding good quality information about building something on that scale. And most tanks on that scale end up using acrylic instead of glass.

The dream build I have in my mind includes a terrestrial section. I really like expanding beyond the underwater portions. The two best examples of this are from MedicineMan here on plantedtank, and Energy's 1700 Stingray river posted on multiple forums.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Putting the metal frame on it will buffer some of the inexperience I would think. There should be almost no chance of the panes coming apart if the frame is tight.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
If they can, unless they recommend against it, have the welding shop powder coat the metal for you.

Tags
contractor, large tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode